Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 10:56 AM

862 posts, read 684,662 times

Advertisements

Anyone else ever try moving with a fickle spouse?
  • The process is always the same.
  • I'll get fed-up with my current employer and start looking for a new job and/or new environment.
  • My spouse will fully support my job searches, interviews and trips for facility tours.
  • She encourages and supports my efforts, sometimes will even travel with me, when I go on onsite interviews.
  • She seems to get excited when I actually receive an offer.
  • Then when the day comes to accept an offer that would cause us to relocate, she does a 180 and becomes the most unsupportive person in my world.

She is always fully involved in where I look for a job and always initially approves of the location.
She is always involved in figuring out the "costs" of moving and investigating the possible housing market.

But once it becomes "real" she flips and becomes a different person.
Where we live, my profession and my age all make it difficult to locate appropriate and interesting work easily, so I am usually forced to look outside my immediate area.

If I settle for the job I have, my life is miserable. If I force the issue and relocate, my life will be uncomfortable for us both.

How have you handled situations like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 11:00 AM

12,869 posts, read 9,096,668 times
She wins. It's a no win scenario for you. Either be miserable in the job or miserable at home.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:08 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,318,667 times
Have you asked her why she does this?

Old 07-02-2021, 11:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,528,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Have you asked her why she does this?
This. It sounds like she gets scared and struggles with change. Does she have anxiety issues? Is her family local? Can she make new friends?

Old 07-02-2021, 02:45 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,800,740 times
I can kind of understand her view, "It's exciting, awesome new place, the new places to visit, things to do and..."

"OH wait, I like it here, my friends! The movie house, my favorite coffee spot....ohhhhnnnoooo"

It's like Louis L'Amour wrote, when people traveled away from the city, the horizon seemed to burst wide open. It's that "openness" that actually scared many back to the cities.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
She wins. It's a no win scenario for you. Either be miserable in the job or miserable at home.
So true

Old 07-02-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This. It sounds like she gets scared and struggles with change. Does she have anxiety issues? Is her family local? Can she make new friends?
Yes she has always had an issue with change. And it makes no sense. She has never met a stranger, and neither of us have any close family.

It is not just the hesitation to move but also any big change. I just can't understand why she is always 110% on board before the job offer. It's almost like the thought of change is exciting, but the actual change is too much.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:50 PM

22,491 posts, read 12,039,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Yes she has always had an issue with change. And it makes no sense. She has never met a stranger, and neither of us have any close family.

It is not just the hesitation to move but also any big change. I just can't understand why she is always 110% on board before the job offer. It's almost like the thought of change is exciting, but the actual change is too much.
Have you tried talking about this with her? Have you explained that the job you want has, for example, a better salary and promotion potential?

Does she work? If so, it would mean that she would have to change jobs.

If you are the sole earner, then you could tell her that you're looking to the future and that a better paying job means you can put more aside for retirement. Depending on your age group, she may have never even given a thought as to what would happen in retirement.

Maybe you both could sit down with a counselor and discuss this issue...

Old 07-02-2021, 08:23 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,188,805 times
Although this specific issue is work-related, perhaps putting this in the Relationship forum will yield you better responses.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:33 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,681,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post

I went through this also so I finally said, I am moving, I hope you join me, but it is time for me move on. The only way we could resolve the cold feet issue was to live alone for a few months and then come to understand that the fears were baseless and only fear of the unknown. When the pain of staying becomes more than the fear of moving on it will work out as it should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment