Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 09:37 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,001,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This. It sounds like she gets scared and struggles with change. Does she have anxiety issues? Is her family local? Can she make new friends?
And not surprising. It sounds like OP does this every few years? It must be exhausting for her, if she's had to uproot her life, her job (if she has one?), her friends, activities, pack up the house and move, then re-plant herself somewhere new, several times, all because a spouse gets bored and wants to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 09:38 PM

12,111 posts, read 23,318,667 times
A similar thought crossed my mind. Tell her you're moving, and ask if you should pack all of the stuff, or half of it.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:41 PM

22,329 posts, read 19,277,553 times
Take a job and move. Try it for a year. Visit each other in between.
i know lots of couples who have done this for extended periods of time, for a variety of reasons. One stays back to finish school. One moves with a job and the other stays back while the kids finish school sometimes for 3 or 4 years. One moves ahead to see how they like the new locale and the new job. One stays behind to get the house in order and sell the house. One boss i had moved to his new job and to be close to one of the kids in graduate school. He also checked out different areas, began looking at houses, and when the wife came to visit he showed her houses and neighborhoods. Some people have quite frankly said being apart has saved their marriage, because resentment builds and festers if one person in the couple feels they have "given up" something big for the other, like a job, or repeated jobs if the spouse declines to move. the time apart also lets them think about the relationship and whether they want to stay together and how they might find ways to make things work including not living in the same town for time. ultimately each person decides what is important for them in their life.

Old 07-02-2021, 10:40 PM

22,488 posts, read 12,039,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
And not surprising. It sounds like OP does this every few years? It must be exhausting for her, if she's had to uproot her life, her job (if she has one?), her friends, activities, pack up the house and move, then re-plant herself somewhere new, several times, all because a spouse gets bored and wants to move.
To me, it didn't seem clear if he actually makes the move or gives into her not wanting to move?

Old 07-03-2021, 06:33 AM

9,426 posts, read 8,408,748 times
Be a man and tell her IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!!!

Kidding, of course.

Lots of people struggle with change. I see it every so often at work when a policy or software changes, people seem to lose their minds. And the "big stuff" like a company being sold have sent people over the edge.

I think the best course of action, if this is indeed your only choice, would be to start handling more of these things yourself. Get the house squared away, figure out schools (if applicable), get a budget in place for the move, etc. etc. and that should help to alleviate some of her anxiety. Moving is one of the most stressful things someone can do in life, the more responsibility you take on, the less anxious she will be.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:39 AM

862 posts, read 684,662 times
It seems my situation is not unique and there are two solutions: empathy and compassion or egocentric aggression.

Honestly I am more comfortable with the first choice.

Thanks

Old 07-03-2021, 09:03 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,001,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
To me, it didn't seem clear if he actually makes the move or gives into her not wanting to move?
Good point-- in re-reading, I'm not sure, either. OP?

Old 07-03-2021, 09:45 AM

10,918 posts, read 7,427,734 times
I'm also dealing with a fickle spouse, but from a different angle.

For the last couple of years, my husband has been insisting we need to move, but keeps changing his mind about where he HAS to live. Santa Barbara! Oregon! Duck Creek, Utah! Humboldt County! He finds an online listing for a house, and wants to buy it immediately. I tell him we have to visit it first, and check out the area. And maybe Duck Creek isn't really where we'd want to live... So I'm the bad guy, the dream killer. It's exhausting.

We're currently in Tucson because he'd always dreamed of living in Arizona, and he found a beautiful property the first week we were there. In January. We've been there 2.5 years.
It's too freaking hot in the summer. And there's snakes.

So I agree that we should move, but I want to visit, and rent a while before buying. I don't want a repeat of Tucson. Plus we've done two huge, get-rid-of-everything moves (to Hawaii and back; that was my idea) since 2005, and I don't want to give up all my stuff AGAIN.

Solution? We're on a road trip right now, visiting possible new locations. I think he's lost interest in Duck Creek (yay!), and seems less interested in Humboldt. Heading into Oregon today. I have high hopes for Oregon. And I'm enjoying the trip.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:47 AM

557 posts, read 298,605 times
Maybe having less stuff will make all the future moves more palatable

My mother uses a concierge moving service. They take pictures of every item in your house. Right down to the toilet brush and that old pair of shoes in the garage. They then take pictures of your empty new house and they digitally place everything you own in your new place. You put a red X through anything that you don't want to take with you and they make arrangements for it to be donated or dumped.

My mom walks out of her old house and into her new house w/ everything all setup. Dishes put away, the bed is made, and there is a chocolate on the pillow.
https://housetohomemoving.com/moving...ving-services/

Old 07-03-2021, 03:38 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,871,043 times
I wanted to move to Prescott, AZ in '12 but wife wouldn't go. All our family is gone now and with exception of professional colleagues and church friends, there is no need to stay here. What is funny is that my family has been here for over 100 years but she only came with we married in '74. Anyway, to keep peace, we stayed. Too late to move now as prices are high there now ( at that time, the recession still had kept prices lower ) . Oh well.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment