Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 09:32 PM

6,860 posts, read 3,005,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
Is the video turned on during the zoom meetings?
Specifically how is her daughter interrupting her during the zoom meetings?
I'm not Mr. Spock but the logical conclusion that one would have to come to of a worker whose productive time is seriously compromised by the daughter sitting on her lap and interrupting is that the productive time of the worker IS seriously compromised BY the daughter sitting on her lap and interrupting. Why is this not understood by some on this thread?

Old 09-18-2020, 10:38 PM

13,014 posts, read 9,299,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Unless specifically requested, I always leave the video off.

I also don't have kids. Work hours should be for work. There has long been a trend that childfree people often end up doing. more work than parents with young kids for various reasons. This is another example of that.
Back in the prehistoric days when I started, it was really simple. Us single guys would take the shifts on Thanksgiving and Christmas so the families could be together. Then the married folks would take New Year's and Super Bowl so us singles could do what singles do on those days. Then the married folks would see that the single folks got a home cooked meal and weren't alone on holidays. Everyone came out ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
The crybabyism of the childfree just dripping here...

I'm gonna tell you all something as someone who EMPLOYS people, even during this pandemic...

Parents in my employ are handling this with much more efficiency and organization that their non-parent counterparts.

If at the very least because they aren't whining and scorekeeping.
Yep. At this point I'm worried about taking care of my people, making sure they are safe. Some are suffering under the strain and worry so we want to make sure they get counseling and mental health support. This is so fundamental I don't understand why so many don't get it. I was taught years ago in the service to take care of your people and they'll take care of you. They eat, then you eat. They sleep, then you sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I'm not Mr. Spock but the logical conclusion that one would have to come to of a worker whose productive time is seriously compromised by the daughter sitting on her lap and interrupting is that the productive time of the worker IS seriously compromised BY the daughter sitting on her lap and interrupting. Why is this not understood by some on this thread?
Were I to invoke logic, and assuming the OP's story is somewhat true, this worker was a superstar before COVID. And this person is having trouble due to the impacts of COVID. I have no reason to doubt that she will return to being a superstar once this temporary COVID is past. So, logically, I should invest in keeping this superstar during a down period because I will need her in the future.

I'm playing the long game.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:12 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,039,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What if people don't have a home office? Many people are making do working from their kitchen tables or their basements where others in the household may walk in or past.
I work for NYSOH, the NY Health Exchange, and the folks who are working from home have to guarantee that the work computer is inaccessible to others in the household, especially during work hours. We are dealing with consumers' personal identifying information, such as SSN, DOB, addresses, and health insurance information, so it is important that other household members not be able to see the work screens or overhear the conversations. The calls are recorded, so some parent breaking off in the middle of a call to speak to a child wouldn't go over well.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:23 PM

5,811 posts, read 3,934,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Back in the prehistoric days when I started, it was really simple. Us single guys would take the shifts on Thanksgiving and Christmas so the families could be together. Then the married folks would take New Year's and Super Bowl so us singles could do what singles do on those days. Then the married folks would see that the single folks got a home cooked meal and weren't alone on holidays. Everyone came out ahead.
It's interesting that you mentioned this. In my younger party years, and to a lesser extent even now, I always volunteered to work on Christmas (eve, day, or both). Most of my family is Jewish, so Christmas for me is basically "a boring day when everything is closed", so working that day was a nice time-filler, and the brownie points were a nice bonus. In exchange, I'd ask for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day off; that's where I'd party my butt off with friends, sometimes still feeling a residual hangover on January 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I work for NYSOH, the NY Health Exchange, and the folks who are working from home have to guarantee that the work computer is inaccessible to others in the household, especially during work hours. We are dealing with consumers' personal identifying information, such as SSN, DOB, addresses, and health insurance information, so it is important that other household members not be able to see the work screens or overhear the conversations. The calls are recorded, so some parent breaking off in the middle of a call to speak to a child wouldn't go over well.
How do you guarantee that? Is it a simple verbal promise, or do you sign a document? What about people like me, who live alone? Do they show a lease/mortgage with just their name on it?

Old 09-19-2020, 01:26 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,395,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Fire her snowflake butt! Classify it as gross misconduct, to save on unemployment! A person, man or woman, who can't properly control their own kid probably can't handle a mission-critical role, either. A strong, disclipline-oriented mother would have found a way to make sure her kid stays quiet and away from the camera, not force its way front and center in the face of her colleagues.

I feel like an old fart! The few times my parents brought me to their work place, I was given a book to read, or some paper and colored pencils to draw with, but other than that, I was expected to entertain myself and stay out of my parents' way while they worked. It's the main reason I never want to have kids: our society indulges kids' bad behavior, rather than disciplining it out of them!
This is bordering on trolling post. You are a heartless person at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeforest20 View Post
There are countless qualified people to do her job that could find a way to keep their sons and daughters out of important Zoom meetings.

(I am not the only person in the meetings angry that she can't find someone to watch her daughter during the workday. We have to do her job because she can't find child care but she keeps getting paid.)
If you don't have the capability to fire her suck it up.

Sounds like your job is pretty trivial as well, if there are countless people qualified to do work at your company. May you find the firing end of an HR appointment soon, as sympathy doesn't seem to be your strong suit and perhaps it will teach you a lesson in the future on humility and empathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
You misspelled "plandemic", but who cares. Parents should control their kids and not expect the world to revolve around them. Nonparents are employees too, and shouldn't have to pick up anyone's slack. Especially one that happened by choice (hopefully).
There is your true colors. You believe this pandemic to be fake. Therefore anyone who tries to protect themselves is fake.

Your total lack of comprehension on this topic is appalling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
So typical of "America" 2020: Blame the families, ridicule those doing their best to balance their many responsibilities, mock the children, etc.

And the typical source of the griping and bellyaching: Miserable, lowly, petty little people with no life and nothing of value to show for. Nice.
Amen. Extremely sad to see.

Old 09-19-2020, 01:27 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,395,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The lack of Reading Comprehension here is amazing.

At no point did the OP say that the problem was the child was visible in the Zoom meetings. In fact, the OP never said that video was even enabled on the zoom meetings. The OP said the child interrupts the mother when she is on zoom meetings. And yet, at least six people in this thread have jumped to the conclusion that the problem is the child is sitting on the mother's lap during the zoom meeting.

"Her work is not getting down and her daughter is constantly interupting her at zoom meetings."
Nah. If that as the case, the company would have terminated her a long time ago.

The OP is exaggerating the truth here, and telling only one very biased side of the story.

If you believe the OP 100%, I have some swampland to sell you in Florida.

How can some people be so naive?

Old 09-19-2020, 04:38 AM

6,622 posts, read 11,396,401 times
I only read a few pages of the 15 or so this has blown up to....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeforest20 View Post
I am her team lead and supervisor, but don't have firing authority.

Her work is not getting down and her daughter is constantly interupting her at zoom meetings. She is only putting in 3 hours in productive time per day due to the needs of her child.

It is business, not a social work organization. If the work does not get done everyone suffers and we may lose our jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantoya12 View Post
No way Right is right wrong is wrong and she would had been fried

Life isn't black and white. There aren't specific metrics that you can apply to everything. Where if you meet x, then things are always fine but otherwise, no.

To the OP:

Yes - it's business, not a social work organization. But a businesses' biggest assets is its employees. How you treat them is going to impact your work much more.

You're throwing in a buch of "what if" scenarios out there to justify this person's firing. Is it valid? I don't think anyone on this board can tell you. There is no black/white answer.

But since you're looking at "what if" scenarios. Let's say you let her go - how quickly will you be able to replace her? The way you make it sound, it seems like her lack of productivity is causing a lot of issues. Which means what she does is pretty impactful. How much do you think it would cost to hire and train a new person? And what is the impact while you are doing this search?

Let's look at another scenario - you fire her and she posts her story to social media, or someone from her circle does. Instead of helping a single mother in a "trying time" for all - your company basically just threw her off the boat. You dont' think THAT may cause some suffering at your work and you having to lose your job?

Again - I don't think anyone can provide a "valid" answer to this as there are just too many variable/factors that isn't being presented.

But from what I can see... this employee isn't the issue. The situation she's being placed in is. How you handle that is up to you - and there are consequences for every action.

Old 09-19-2020, 04:55 AM

609 posts, read 356,174 times
sounds like jealousy

Old 09-19-2020, 07:26 AM

29,816 posts, read 34,725,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The lack of Reading Comprehension here is amazing.

At no point did the OP say that the problem was the child was visible in the Zoom meetings.
The title that the OP gave the thread is: One of my coworkers has her 6 year old child on her lap during corporate zoom meetings! If the child is not visible during the meeting, then how does the OP know the kid's on the mom's lap? Since OP is no longer a member, I guess we'll never know.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:29 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,089,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
"What if" doesn't mean squat. Until those scenarios show any chance of occurring, you're left looking cold and clueless. How do you live with yourself?
Agreed - and I'm no fan of children. Give the mother a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment