Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 05:03 PM

102 posts, read 66,587 times

Advertisements

If she is your co-worker that means you are not her boss. Go talk with her/your boss about your concerns; otherwise, mind your own business.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:06 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,404,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Until recently there wasn't a global pandemic that shut down schools and daycares and required parents to homeschool their children while also maintaining a full-time job.
Whew--and where was the training for this new job--> part time teacher?! These parents have my respect. I have never been happier that my kids are adults!

Old 09-18-2020, 05:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,266,483 times
The lack of Reading Comprehension here is amazing.

At no point did the OP say that the problem was the child was visible in the Zoom meetings. In fact, the OP never said that video was even enabled on the zoom meetings. The OP said the child interrupts the mother when she is on zoom meetings. And yet, at least six people in this thread have jumped to the conclusion that the problem is the child is sitting on the mother's lap during the zoom meeting.

"Her work is not getting down and her daughter is constantly interupting her at zoom meetings."

Old 09-18-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Since you asked...yes, it is fair for people forced to work from home to get some leeway with interruptions. The door bell rings, their spouse asks them a question, the toilet is running, the dog needs to be let out, a delivery arrives, etc.

You missed the point of the post to which you responded. It's a matter of degree. It's one thing for there to be a brief interruption to let the dog out or answer a spouse's question. It's something else to have repeated interruptions by one party causing somone on the call to not clearly hear what was just said and for something to have to be repeated.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:58 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 1 day ago)

16,085 posts, read 21,212,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The lack of Reading Comprehension here is amazing.

At no point did the OP say that the problem was the child was visible in the Zoom meetings. In fact, the OP never said that video was even enabled on the zoom meetings. The OP said the child interrupts the mother when she is on zoom meetings. And yet, at least six people in this thread have jumped to the conclusion that the problem is the child is sitting on the mother's lap during the zoom meeting.

"Her work is not getting down and her daughter is constantly interupting her at zoom meetings."
Nope, in his first post he does not say the kid interrupts her mother, not at all. He said "The kid is supposed to be doing remote learning via a computer in First Grade but has little interest in sitting in front of a computer for six hours. The kid is more interested in her mother." The first person to suggest the child was acting out in a disruptive way was you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'm hard but I'm fair. If it's a one-off sporadic interruption, I'd give her the benefit of doubt and show patience. But if it becomes a regular thing, well... is it fair to other employees to not have the same "interruption privileges"?
Interruption privilege's? Well, we can make a whole list of those. People who smoke and take numerous breaks to do so. People who come to work hung over are just dragging after a day off. people who are sickly, or lazy, or just generally call off a lot for whatever reason. People on meds or who have health issues that put them in the restroom frequently throughout the day. People who take time leave for surgery or extended illness. maybe we should throw in vacations too, I mean with few exceptions other people have to pick up the slack when a co-worker is on vacation too.

Old 09-18-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Nope, in his first post he does not say the kid interrupts her mother, not at all. He said "The kid is supposed to be doing remote learning via a computer in First Grade but has little interest in sitting in front of a computer for six hours. The kid is more interested in her mother." The first person to suggest the child was acting out in a disruptive way was you.

Doesn't change the fact that the OP never mentioned that the zoom included video or that the problem was the child was sitting on her lap.

Old 09-18-2020, 07:51 PM

6,601 posts, read 9,003,140 times
Quote:
A 6-year-old is fairly capable of entertaining themselves. If it were me in the Zoom meeting, I'd give my kid a book to read or some drawings to color, and have him/her sit quietly in a comfortable chair. In a more informal company, I might even let him/her peek into the camera briefly and say hi. But not sit there during the meeting; that's pushing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Only a single millennial male with no kids would ever believe this, LOL, thanks for this Friday laugh.
Right? The superstar of the office is too stupid to realize she just needs to buy the kid a coloring book

Boiling parenting down to this level of simplicity is like sort of like saying that maintaining a healthy fitness level is as simple as eating right and exercising. Or that becoming wealthy is just a matter of saving money and investing. Easier said than done.

Parenting has even more variables involved since there really isn't any one-size-fits-all reliable path to successful parenting like there is with health and finance.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:00 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,775,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeforest20 View Post
I am her team lead and supervisor, but don't have firing authority.

Her work is not getting down and her daughter is constantly interrupting her at zoom meetings. She is only putting in 3 hours in productive time per day due to the needs of her child.

It is business, not a social work organization. If the work does not get done everyone suffers and we may lose our jobs.

Is the video turned on during the zoom meetings?
Specifically how is her daughter interrupting her during the zoom meetings?

Old 09-18-2020, 08:36 PM

16,584 posts, read 10,689,515 times
Quote:
I'm hard too. My empathy for parents is very limited. Having kids is a choice. The mother didn't have to have a baby. But she did; the onus of working professionally with a kid by her side is now on her.
Neither did yours. Yet, here you are.

I would have to assume that the mother based her work-home balance on the fact that her daughter would be in school (and probably after-care too) while she was at work. How could she have possibly foreseen that school would be closed due to a global pandemic and that they'd both be "stuck" at home? Some things, you just can't realistically prepare for.

If anyone out there wants to marry you and bear your children, I sure hope they see this thread first.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:39 PM

15,569 posts, read 7,583,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
There is a local hospital, the largest around, and very well managed, and if someone is even in the background during a Zoom meeting, you're fired. A kid on the lap would be your last day working there.
That seems very unlikely, since not everyone has a private room in which to have a meeting.

Quote:
I'm hard too. My empathy for parents is very limited. Having kids is a choice. The mother didn't have to have a baby. But she did; the onus of working professionally with a kid by her side is now on her.
A choice? Not always, and it's pretty cold hearted of you to say that. And, some kids are just difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment