Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 01:12 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There a difference between, "Karen, you gotta do something about your kid" vs. "Karen, we can see that you're distracted working from home. What measures can we take to help you refocus on your work?"
You can be nice about it till the cows come home, and you can treat her like Queen Elizabeth. But it doesn't change the bitter truth: She really does have to "do something about that kid". The interruptions aren't funny, and they aren't cute; they're unprofessional.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:24 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
You can be nice about it till the cows come home, and you can treat her like Queen Elizabeth. But it doesn't change the bitter truth: She really does have to "do something about that kid". The interruptions aren't funny, and they aren't cute; they're unprofessional.
Her parenting style is none of her employer's business. Her work output is, and any discussion needs to be framed as such, along with the understanding that she's in a tight spot because of circumstances outside her control.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:25 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
If employees enjoy the benefits of WFH it will be in their best interests to make sure they can be productive and attentive. When this is over the comapnies that fwere able to maintain or increase productivity WFH will be inclined to continue it while those that have been struggling with issues like in the OP will end it ASAP. Or maybe they will only let those who demonstrated they could handle it WFH.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:44 PM

12,772 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeforest20 View Post
...As a childless person, I say she should be fired. But society says we need to accept 3 hours work out of her because of COVID and still pay her for a full-time job. Is this fair to her coworkers who don't have kids and put in 10-12 hours of productive work?

You're a real hard-@s$. No compassion or empathy JUST BECAUSE you don't have kids of your own. (I don't either BTW.)

As you know, MOST people in society have kids, so get used to it & stop being so rigid because COVID's now inconvenienced ALL OF US in one or more ways or another. So we ALL need to adapt in whatever ways it takes.

Sure, I know it's annoying w/ her child, so are you working on doing something w/ your highr-ups about it? Pay her less OR try to have it set where she works shorter shifts then. If that can't be done, just get used to it then.

Yeah, many (good) parents who CAN don't want some untrustworthy daycare or other babysitter who might do God knows what & molest their kids. I'm an only child. I never had a babysitter in my entire life because my parents didn't want some daycare/babysitter who will do God knows what to me & wonder why I came out imbalanced, etc. later in life.

One of these days, not today or tomorrow, but one day, you're going to need some understanding & compassion & when NO ONE gives it to you, you'll see how it feels.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:09 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
You're a real hard-@s$. No compassion or empathy JUST BECAUSE you don't have kids of your own. (I don't either BTW.)
One of these days, not today or tomorrow, but one day, you're going to need some understanding & compassion & when NO ONE gives it to you, you'll see how it feels.
I'm hard too. My empathy for parents is very limited. Having kids is a choice. The mother didn't have to have a baby. But she did; the onus of working professionally with a kid by her side is now on her.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:15 PM

12,772 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Quote:
I'm hard too. My empathy for parents is very limited. Having kids is a choice. The mother didn't have to have a baby. But she did; the onus of working professionally with a kid by her side is now on her.

I agree that she obviously can't do her job adequately, which is why I said pay her less or give her shorter shifts. She probably does need to just quit if the kid's on her lap more then 50% of the time.

But I hope you, the OP & other hard people aren't that cold to your actual employees. Sure, you can cuss & all that in your head & at home to family, but I hope you don't outwardly show such hatred at the workplace to them.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:18 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Your empathy is nonexistent, period. Explains a lot.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:34 PM

8,892 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeforest20 View Post

As a childless person, I say she should be fired. But society says we need to accept 3 hours work out of her because of COVID and still pay her for a full-time job. Is this fair to her coworkers who don't have kids and put in 10-12 hours of productive work?
There is something here I just had to mention again. "Society" is not the entity that is telling you you need to accept 3 hours work from her (accepting that the circumstance you describe as accurate). The entity to blame is the government.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:35 PM

9,392 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Quote:
Did she choose to be dealing with this during a pandemic? You seem to conveniently forget/leave out the fact that some people currently do not have a choice with respect to child care depending on where they live.

I think at this point you're simply arguing for the sake of arguing. I cannot fathom how anyone could be this uncaring towards another person. It is abhorrent.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:36 PM

8,892 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
My understanding is she was managing this until government mandates prohibited her from doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.