Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 11:20 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If anything, working remotely during the pandemic has really revealed that for office jobs, demanding butts in seats from 9-5 is an antiquated and unproductive way to get work done. Allowing workers the freedom and flexibility to manage their own time makes for a happier and more productive workforce.
Agreed.

For what I do, there is virtually no need for me to be in the office on a regular basis. I don't know anyone who is clamoring for a pre-pandemic "butt in seat" return to normal in an office setting.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:33 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
OP is 'making things clear' by adding information after the fact. There's a difference between "I'm her coworker' and "I'm her supervisor". There's a difference between 'the kid is more interested in her mother than in school' and 'the kid is disruptive to our meetings' (and honestly is it the kid is behaving like a brat or does OP simply think her mere presence on camera is disruptive?) And the biggest farce of all is that the original complaint is simply the kid on camera, then it morphs into mom isn't doing her job and isn't productive enough, and even further along he reveals that he and another co-worker are angry because they are having to pick up her slack. Clear as mud alright.Or it could be they made noises about the kid being visible on camera, because ... ew, kids, and she told them she didn't have an alternative. At which time they could have told her they would work with her. Two way street and all that.

So basically you disbelieve the OP's account. In that case, all we are left with is creating hypothetical situations and rendering our opinions based on them. So here you go.

1. Employee is so distracted with her personal life that she is unable to effectively collaborate, only getting half her work done, creating hardships for others on the team, and washing her hands of it with saying her hands are tied.

Put her on a Performance Improvement Plan. If things don't improve, fire her.

2. Employee is juggling life issues but is collaborating decently, getting most of her work done, not impacting anyone else's productivity, and trying hard to make it work.

Be patient and tolerant, be willing to make some concessions, and maybe next year the team will be stronger for this experience.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:46 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,459,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
So basically you disbelieve the OP's account.
I know I do. But hey, it's got people talking. People contributing. This topic will go on for pages, while the OP plans his next user name.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:52 AM

609 posts, read 349,743 times
She cannot be fired for that. Lack of production is a different story.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:53 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
So basically you disbelieve the OP's account. In that case, all we are left with is creating hypothetical situations and rendering our opinions based on them. So here you go.

1. Employee is so distracted with her personal life that she is unable to effectively collaborate, only getting half her work done, creating hardships for others on the team, and washing her hands of it with saying her hands are tied.

Put her on a Performance Improvement Plan. If things don't improve, fire her.

2. Employee is juggling life issues but is collaborating decently, getting most of her work done, not impacting anyone else's productivity, and trying hard to make it work.

Be patient and tolerant, be willing to make some concessions, and maybe next year the team will be stronger for this experience.
Everything on this entire forum is pretty much hypothetical. I simply pointed out that OP keeps adding details AFTER the fact, to justify his position. Either he's really bad at communicating pertinent facts, or he's making excuses and trying to defend himself from the backlash his posts have created. As with so many things the truth is probably somewhere between 1 and 2, we'll never know since we only have OP's version of the story. (And I generally don't fully believe that anyone ever presents an unbiased, completely factual POV of a situation they are personally involved in)

Old 09-18-2020, 12:02 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,129,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
One thing I've noticed is that the absolute best parents, the ones who know how to keep their kids in line and make sure they're seen and not heard and know just how to handle any challenging situation, are the ones who don't actually have kids of their own. Actually having kids of one's own is a surefire way of having your parenting skills exposed as the frauds that they are.
Truth. I was one of them when I was childless. I too thought little kids that sat with their arms by their side and only said "please" and "thank you" were well disciplined by their parents. OH IF ONLY THEY ALL CAME OUT THAT WAY! ...but they sure as heck don't no matter what you try. A child, perfect in every way can in an out-of-character-instant have a complete meltdown in a store and there is nothing you can do about it. ..and all of those childless in the store think to themselves, "man that's some bad parenting right there". They haven't a clue.

Believe it or not, all kids are actually born different. Raise two kids in the same household under the same conditions, and you will end up with an introverted always logical too critical software engineer and the other an eccentric free-spirited emotional artist regardless of what you do. Believe me, they just come out that way. ...and no telling which one will behave at any given moment in those 18 years.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:11 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
There is a local hospital, the largest around, and very well managed, and if someone is even in the background during a Zoom meeting, you're fired. A kid on the lap would be your last day working there.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:12 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
There is a local hospital, the largest around, and very well managed, and if someone is even in the background during a Zoom meeting, you're fired. A kid on the lap would be your last day working there.
I'd love to see proof of this.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:26 PM

41 posts, read 25,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Everything on this entire forum is pretty much hypothetical. I simply pointed out that OP keeps adding details AFTER the fact, to justify his position. Either he's really bad at communicating pertinent facts, or he's making excuses and trying to defend himself from the backlash his posts have created. As with so many things the truth is probably somewhere between 1 and 2, we'll never know since we only have OP's version of the story. (And I generally don't fully believe that anyone ever presents an unbiased, completely factual POV of a situation they are personally involved in)
I keep adding facts after my first post because people ask me for clarification and to respond to their viewpoints. No one would be interested in my first post if I gave every possible fact in a long rambling 15 paragraph post.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:33 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
There's some employment case law just begging to be brought out in cases like this. Is it legal to fire someone because someone else who lives in that household happened to enter a room -- IN THEIR OWN HOME? To me, that's a lawsuit just begging to be filed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.