Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2020, 10:08 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,797,475 times

Advertisements

Our government’s involvement in closing down schools & daycares caused problems & frustrations for employees with children as well as employees without children. Perhaps these employees should complain to the Government.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:13 AM

23,173 posts, read 12,465,069 times
Sure, we all need to be a bit more tolerant and flexible in these times. If meetings can be shifted, procedures adjusted, hours more flexible without causing hardships on other workers and the company then that should be attempted. However, the very first post said "She has been spoken to but says her hands are tied and she has nowhere to put her 6-year-old daughter." That sounds to me like she has been made aware that her performance is causing a problem and has had an opportunity to speak up if certain adjustments or concessions could ease the problem.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:15 AM

16,735 posts, read 10,959,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Document the hell out of everything, including financial losses. Issue formal written warnings. Then wait for 3 strikes to accumulate. Don't keep enabling lax parenting. Most of us 30+ would never be allowed to interrupt our patents' meetings.
One thing I've noticed is that the absolute best parents, the ones who know how to keep their kids in line and make sure they're seen and not heard and know just how to handle any challenging situation, are the ones who don't actually have kids of their own. Actually having kids of one's own is a surefire way of having your parenting skills exposed as the frauds that they are.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:18 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,066,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
You misspelled "plandemic", but who cares. Parents should control their kids and not expect the world to revolve around them. Nonparents are employees too, and shouldn't have to pick up anyone's slack. Especially one that happened by choice (hopefully).
The crybabyism of the childfree just dripping here...

I'm gonna tell you all something as someone who EMPLOYS people, even during this pandemic...

Parents in my employ are handling this with much more efficiency and organization that their non-parent counterparts.

If at the very least because they aren't whining and scorekeeping.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:32 AM

16,241 posts, read 21,511,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
But we're not talking about your teammate.

Why are people so selective about which parts of the OP to take as gospel and which to dismiss? OP says worker was a superstar and people accept that as fact and use it to justify their positions. OP says worker is not getting tasks done and kid disruptive and people question if that's really the case. OP has made it clear the problem isn't the kid being visible on camera but that kid disrupts the meeting. OP has made it clear the problem isn't the worker is working the wrong times of day but that the worker is only getting 3 hours work done and not completing tasks. The case you presented is completely different and irrelevant.
OP is 'making things clear' by adding information after the fact. There's a difference between "I'm her coworker' and "I'm her supervisor". There's a difference between 'the kid is more interested in her mother than in school' and 'the kid is disruptive to our meetings' (and honestly is it the kid is behaving like a brat or does OP simply think her mere presence on camera is disruptive?) And the biggest farce of all is that the original complaint is simply the kid on camera, then it morphs into mom isn't doing her job and isn't productive enough, and even further along he reveals that he and another co-worker are angry because they are having to pick up her slack. Clear as mud alright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That sounds to me like she has been made aware that her performance is causing a problem and has had an opportunity to speak up if certain adjustments or concessions could ease the problem.
Or it could be they made noises about the kid being visible on camera, because ... ew, kids, and she told them she didn't have an alternative. At which time they could have told her they would work with her. Two way street and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

I also don't have kids. Work hours should be for work. There has long been a trend that childfree people often end up doing. more work than parents with young kids for various reasons. This is another example of that.
Utter BS, there's also been a long trend of childless people who slack off after weekend of partying too, right? I mean you can find threads on it here on CD. EVERYONE slacks off from time to time for various reasons, and both parent and non parent groups contain individuals that slack off consistently. Unless you need to be physically present for your job, work hours are when the work gets done, even if that means the middle of the night or on weekends. Zoom meetings are only a small part of the workday.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:35 AM

29,853 posts, read 34,836,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Utter BS, there's also been a long trend of childless people who slack off after weekend of partying too, right? I mean you can find thread on it here on CD. EVERYONE slacks off from time to time for various reasons, and both parent and non parent groups contain individuals that slack off consistently. Unless you need to be physically present for your job, work hours are when the work gets done, even if that means the middle of the night or on weekends. Zoom meetings are only a small part of the workday.
If anything, working remotely during the pandemic has really revealed that for office jobs, demanding butts in seats from 9-5 is an antiquated and unproductive way to get work done. Allowing workers the freedom and flexibility to manage their own time makes for a happier and more productive workforce.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:39 AM

644 posts, read 314,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Utter BS, there's also been a long trend of childless people who slack off after weekend of partying too, right? I mean you can find thread on it here on CD. EVERYONE slacks off from time to time for various reasons, and both parent and non parent groups contain individuals that slack off consistently. Unless you need to be physically present for your job, work hours are when the work gets done, even if that means the middle of the night or on weekends. Zoom meetings are only a small part of the workday.
Of course. I've been busting my behind working till 2 AM all of this week and last, and worked all of Labor Day weekend, because somehow most of my childless coworkers went on vacation at the same time. I don't know what you can do with a vacation these days, but there it is. I'm definitely not saying they're slackers - we all help each other out at different times - but it's not true that they're carrying the load for the people with kids, and getting nothing back. FWIW, if they do end up working longer hours they also get a ton more overtime pay. And pretty sure they'll be the ones getting promotions at the end of the year - they deserve it!

Old 09-18-2020, 10:40 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,066,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If anything, working remotely during the pandemic has really revealed that for office jobs, demanding butts in seats from 9-5 is an antiquated and unproductive way to get work done. Allowing workers the freedom and flexibility to manage their own time makes for a happier and more productive workforce.
DING!

Old 09-18-2020, 10:42 AM
Status: "Incommunicado (no 1st amendment, CDForum sucks)" (set 11 hours ago)

11,396 posts, read 7,504,306 times
So typical of "America" 2020: Blame the families, ridicule those doing their best to balance their many responsibilities, mock the children, etc.

And the typical source of the griping and bellyaching: Miserable, lowly, petty little people with no life and nothing of value to show for. Nice.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-18-2020 at 10:51 AM..

Old 09-18-2020, 11:03 AM

3,720 posts, read 3,803,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
The crybabyism of the childfree just dripping here...

I'm gonna tell you all something as someone who EMPLOYS people, even during this pandemic...

Parents in my employ are handling this with much more efficiency and organization that their non-parent counterparts.

If at the very least because they aren't whining and scorekeeping.
Ya know what, from this point on let's all just agree to NOT have children.........lol, jk obviously. I love your point.

As a hiring manager (and a parent myself, forced to work at home by my employer, young kids at challenging ages), I appreciate the skillsets that most parents on my team have. They tend to bring tolerance, perspective, and patience.

There is a difference between what one CAN do, and what one SHOULD do. Surely the company CAN fire this woman, but that doesn't sound like anyone I want to work for.

At my large, F100 employer, just on my team alone we have some troubled by small children and the failed virtual schooling system, another has elderly parents living with them as well as teens, another was out for 6 weeks with a very bad case of COVID. Taking a hard stance on all of these doesn't feel appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment