Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2020, 08:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That36guy View Post
I'm 24.
You are a baby. Don't wait around too long. Sometimes you have to put in the work. That doesn't mean you have to pay much for your education.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 08:33 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,182,385 times
Here are my questions for the OP:

- In what field is your cubicle job?
- Do you enjoy it (not necessarily the current job, but the field)?
- How long have you been at this job?

Once you've been working for a few years, your resume should change to reflect that by moving the work history above the education. Education matters less once you have real-world experience. Just something to remember.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:52 PM

111 posts, read 98,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Here are my questions for the OP:

- In what field is your cubicle job?
- Do you enjoy it (not necessarily the current job, but the field)?
- How long have you been at this job?

Once you've been working for a few years, your resume should change to reflect that by moving the work history above the education. Education matters less once you have real-world experience. Just something to remember.
I've been working four years in the field of home insurance and I hate everything about it.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
The usual suspects: Amazon, FedEx, UPS

I would definitely recommend a trade job. My sister-in-law has been in the radiography field for 25 years and makes about $85K. She has certified in several of the different technologies. If I had to do life over again, that's what I'd do.

I'm a writer. No college degree needed, but it helps to have some skills.
There are no trades that interest me. I don't care about being an electrician or HVAC guy. I wish I could go to college, but I'm 24 and it's too late for me. On top of that, I can't afford going to college for at least two years. I'm renting an apartment and the cost of living mixed with college tuition is too much to wrap my head around. Stuff like that is why I feel like I'm running out of options.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:27 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,778 times
Bus Driver?
Truck Driver?
Job in an airport?
Pharmaceutical Rep?
Phone sex operator?
Security guard?
Bank Teller?
Semiconductor?
Manufacturing jobs?
Dept store and work your way up?
Look into jobs through your city Government websites.
Look into jobs that pay to train you.
Hospitals?
Construction?
Something else in your related field?

Do you have any connections or established network from your 4 yrs there?

Are you bilingual?
My 16 yr old daughter filled out an application on indeed for general work a few months ago.
She was flooded with offers!

There are tons of entry level jobs out there if your dead set on not learning and paying for a trade school.

Kudos to you for having your own place and maintaining your job for 4 years.
I know a few 24 yr old men who live with their parents and squander around expecting things to be handed to them.

Don't give up. Don't quit your job until you have another job secured. Keep scouring the online job websites.
Hang in there.

Old 09-06-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You are a baby. Don't wait around too long. Sometimes you have to put in the work. That doesn't mean you have to pay much for your education.
So let's say that I decided to go to college and get a degree. (That's something that I'm very seriously considering right now) Could I be able to afford it? I already pay the cost of living, what with rent, utilities, and other stuff like car, insurance, credit card, phone, etc. All of that stuff is hard enough without college tuition in the mix, so I can't help but worry about if I can even make it financially.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:28 AM

674 posts, read 608,018 times
Quote:
I wish I could go to college, but I'm 24 and it's too late for me. On top of that, I can't afford going to college for at least two years.
I went back to college at 53.

Community college is inexpensive. You may also qualify for financial assistance such as the Pell Grant.

Get off your behind and take some action.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:32 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Traditional Trade school and nursing

Old 09-06-2020, 07:36 AM

23,269 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
There are no trades that interest me. I don't care about being an electrician or HVAC guy. I wish I could go to college, but I'm 24 and it's too late for me. On top of that, I can't afford going to college for at least two years. I'm renting an apartment and the cost of living mixed with college tuition is too much to wrap my head around. Stuff like that is why I feel like I'm running out of options.
Sounds as if you want something handed to you on a silver platter OP. Won't do this, can't do that, have no interest in this, don't want to waste my time learning that. All you have is time. You seem to want instant gratification...to quit your current job NOW without putting in much thought. Just leap before you look. If its not learning something through college coursework it would need to be something learned in a professional trade. Either way, and investment in time and effort. What prompted you to start the profession you have? Did you just follow the path of least resistance? Sounds like what needs to change is your attitude, not the job...at least for a while.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-06-2020 at 07:51 AM..

Old 09-06-2020, 08:07 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
I've been working four years in the field of home insurance and I hate everything about it.
Okay, so you hate your job, but have you ever talked to your supervisor about what would need to happen to get a promotion, or that you'd like more training in XYZ? You're new in your working life, so you do need to learn that your bosses aren't usually going to spontaneously notice and reward you for good work--you have to advocate for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment