Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2020, 09:29 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That36guy View Post
I'm looking to make good money now, not a few years in the future after having wasted money on a bunch of boring classes.
“I've been working the same 9-5 cubicle job for the past four years and I'm seeing no signs of advancement or growth in the near future.”

Well, had you started back then you’d be finished now. But that’s water under the bridge. You don’t want to say the same thing in another 4 years.

The best career for someone who doesn’t want a degree is usually a trade. Always a demand.

As to getting a degree, it’s easy to say it doesn’t matter when you don’t have one. I know because years ago I didn’t have one either despite years of work experience and a great salary. I went back and ticked that box quickly without incurring loans or extra debt.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 09:35 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
I went back to college at 53.

Community college is inexpensive. You may also qualify for financial assistance such as the Pell Grant.

Get off your behind and take some action.
A bit over 15 years ago I went back and got my business undergrad - did 120 credit hours in a little more than a year and spent maybe $6-7K. All while working full time. It’s possible if you find a quick, cheap and creative way to do it. And are laser-focused.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:45 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,231,553 times
What do you want to do? Start with that. You'll never be happy with a job chosen solely on the basis of how little work it took on your part to get it.

Last edited by MarianRavenwood; 09-06-2020 at 10:09 AM..

Old 09-06-2020, 10:10 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,328,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
What do you want to do? Start with that. You'll never be happy with a job chosen solely on the basis of the education required to get it.
Is it really the poor future prospects that you find frustrating and depressing? Or is it the constancy and sameness of a 9-to-5 regimen in an office characterized by too much repetition, too-tight monitoring, and turf fights among a bored-to-death staff?

If it's the latter -- you have to break the mold. Warehouses and distribution centers are always hiring, there's more variety here than the general public thinks, and it's unlikely that someone will be constantly looking over your shoulder. Or you can learn to drive a truck over-the-road.

And remember, the fattest paycheck in town isn't much consolation if, once you finish your education, you quickly come to dislike your new job. Talk to a few people in the trenches and learn the potential traps and pitfalls of where you're likely to go.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-06-2020 at 10:28 AM..

Old 09-06-2020, 10:10 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
What do you want to do? Start with that. You'll never be happy with a job chosen solely on the basis of how little work it took on your part to get it.
And a college degree isn't a coupon for a free job with no other effort. You do have to network and tailor your education to the kind of work you want to do.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:20 AM

111 posts, read 98,198 times
Quote:
I honestly am starting to warm up to the idea of going to college.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:25 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
I'm looking to make good money now, not a few years in the future after having wasted money on a bunch of boring classes.
Quote:
There are no trades that interest me. I don't care about being an electrician or HVAC guy. I wish I could go to college, but I'm 24 and it's too late for me. On top of that, I can't afford going to college for at least two years. I'm renting an apartment and the cost of living mixed with college tuition is too much to wrap my head around. Stuff like that is why I feel like I'm running out of options.
What is it that you are bringing to the table for it to be worth it for an employer to pay you good money?

No one is going to pay you a lot because you can't afford your regular expenses, you need to be offering something that makes it worth it to them.

And just getting a random bachelor's degree doesn't change that - you need to have some direction and ideally, get not just the degree but experience in the field in order to be an appealing job candidate for positions that are going to pay a good salary.

Last edited by emm74; 09-06-2020 at 11:33 AM..

Old 09-06-2020, 11:34 AM

130,120 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Quote:
Find something you are interested in, & go to a cc to start, anyhow. I know many people who got degrees going to school part time, & still working enough to pay expenses. You can't improve yourself by wishful thinkikng.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:36 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,224,566 times
OK, so let's say you want to do a career change.

This is 2020. Employers do not accept transferable skills from what you have now.

In the halcyon days of 2019, employers would accept transferable skills.

You cannot get a job in another field if you do not have experience in it.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:37 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,224,566 times
Quote:
And when you do, GET INTERNSHIPS. Do not graduate college without any work experience in your field or you're doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment