Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 10:31 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Passions quickly turn into drudgery when instead of pleasant pursuits that can be done whenever and for as long as the person wants to, become attached to a job where the person now has to do it on a company's schedule with bosses that say how that work should be done and for how long, severely limiting the person's autonomy.
Yup.

Imagine if one's passion is drawing comic books. Drawing one page over a lunch break because you're just inspired is fun and has high passion.

Doing 10-12 pages a day for weeks on end is not fun. Passion quickly drops to zero and it becomes just another job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 08:46 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I'm with the ones who say learn a trade. Always a shortage of electricians, plumbers too.

Also, I've told this story before, but my ex-husband was doing some window replacement on a guy's house. Big house, three-car garage, snow-melt system under the driveway. Obviously had some bucks.

The guy would come home and ask questions, genuinely interested in what my ex was doing, and then my ex noticed this guy was dressed like him--flannel shirt, blue jeans, work boots, but HE was living in this big-ass fancy house. So he asked him what he did.

Rats. The guy killed rats for a living. Had a vermin-control business and had contracts on the Jersey waterfront with warehouses owned by the shipping companies. People pay a lot of money to have someone kill rats.

Just a thought.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:03 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,954,574 times
If I could do it all over (Which in theory I guess I can). I would have gone for a trade, worked for someone for a couple years learning every aspect of the business then started my own company doing exactly that.

Instead I work for large fortune 500 financial companies that are just too large to try and start on your own, but like the poster above said, you could learn everything about being an exterminator start your own small business and grow it in time.

I knew a guy in his mid 30s rich as can be with no college degree... He got into roofing at a young age, hard worker, and learned everything about the business. When the owner of the company decided to retire he sold it to this kid for pennies on the dollar, few years later the kid grew it into a multi-million dollar business.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:42 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
I know a man who taught himself computer systems, and things you can do with a computer.

He makes his living running a much better than most blog, and making music for smaller film producers, who cannot afford the major stars the major studios use.

He writes the music, gets it approved, and then does the playing and singing when required, himself. He lays up tracks with electric piano, horns, guitars, etc., all performed by himself. He can play about any instrument there is. Then combines them sounding like a big band. Green screen technology, and he can play in the studio, and have it look like he is playing on top of a mountain, etc. The film producer then cuts up this mans work, playing different parts for different movie sections.

All done in a studio in his home.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:56 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,954,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I know a man who taught himself computer systems, and things you can do with a computer.

He makes his living running a much better than most blog, and making music for smaller film producers, who cannot afford the major stars the major studios use.

He writes the music, gets it approved, and then does the playing and singing when required, himself. He lays up tracks with electric piano, horns, guitars, etc., all performed by himself. He can play about any instrument there is. Then combines them sounding like a big band. Green screen technology, and he can play in the studio, and have it look like he is playing on top of a mountain, etc. The film producer then cuts up this mans work, playing different parts for different movie sections.

All done in a studio in his home.

I know 2 people who run successful blogs. One is my cousin, has over 400k Instagram followers and a blog about being a trendy parent. The other is one of my oldest friends who has a blog he's been running for about 12 years now that focuses on the young executive and entrepreneurs.

Both do "okay" money wise, but where they really hit home runs is all the free stuff they get. Each year they both get over $200,000 worth of free stuff to "review" from random companies. That could mean a whole new laundry room for my cousin, or a free Ferrari rental for 6 weeks for my friend (they've received both).

Not all that long ago my friend swears he got over $1mm worth of free stuff in a year, from home appliances, tools, meals, vacations, travel, auto accessories, guns, clothing, experiences, etc. I don't doubt him. He just takes a few pictures of whatever it is and blogs about it... He's at the point now where he only has to kick out 1 blog a week if that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment