Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 11:43 AM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times

Advertisements

OP~ If you're going to go to college, you might as well learn something while you're there. So, I suggest you look at a trade school. Your parents aren't wrong in suggesting a trade. (Just wait until you're a home owner and you just paid a plumber $800 to install a $400 water heater, that just needs replacing.) Only then, you'll think, "Crap, I coulda done this in an hour!"

My SIL used to work in the insurance biz. It is a crummy way to make a living. Here's why~ You are constantly calling people that DON'T want your services. Having irritated people yelling at you gets old, after a while.

After 10 years of it...

So, he decided to change careers and get into bail bonds. Now, instead of him calling customers, they're NOW calling him!

People generally want OUT of jail, so that's what he does now. (And, it's fairly lucrative.)

But, if you want to join a union, then that might be a good avenue to acquire benefits, as those are crazy expensive.

My mistake by not readings the subsequent posts by the OP.

My recommendation is join the Marine's (IF they'll take you.)

Maybe the Corps can make something out of you.

If not, then the drug dealer option is open.

I hear antifa is hiring, but there's no pay.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 09-07-2020 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: added stuff, ya know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 12:20 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That36guy View Post
Absolutely none of those positions interest me.
I think the first step in anything is what does interest you? Just going to college isn't going to do it because you will still end up in a boring desk job. Where do your interests lie? That will determine what type of education you will need.

Old 09-07-2020, 12:57 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
The OP has already stated the lack of desire to do any sort of trades job (HVAC, plumbing, etc.).

It seems like every time this sort of topic comes up, someone suggests the trades. Well, sorry folks, but not all of us have any desire to have a career in the trades no matter how well it may or may not pay.

My dad was a plumber, and in the Navy I worked in the ship engine rooms. I absolutely hated all of that.

Anyhow, plenty of information online if the OP feels motivated enough to do so.

The 10 highest-paying jobs you can get without a college degree all pay more than $79,000

Best Jobs Without A College Degree

42 up-and-coming careers that don’t require a 4-year college degree (and 10 to avoid)

Old 09-07-2020, 02:23 PM

22,173 posts, read 19,217,049 times
look at healthcare, start as a health tech or CNA, and due to high demand in this field, many employers (hospitals, medical centers, federal government) will pay for your additional training, schooling, and licensing, while you work full time, and have a job waiting for you at higher pay when your training is complete.

if you are going to bite the bullet and go back to school and pay for it yourself (instead of having employer pay for it for you) go to nursing school, come out with $85,000 student debt, work as a traveling nurse for 1-2 years to pay it off, and from then on you write your own ticket with high paying work in the environment of your choice.

i had been out of the work force for years. i was hired with zero work experience into a "paid training " position which was sitting in classes while they trained me to be a CNA, then they paid for my exam fee, then when i got my certificate they put me in a higher paying position. the track would have continued had i stayed there, into LVN, then RN. One of the NPs at a different hospital where I worked had done just that: CNA to health tech to LVN to RN to a Master's to getting her NP. Every single bit of her education was paid for by the employer (she had to make passing grades), every step of the way she had a paying job, every step of the way she had a job waiting for her at higher pay when she completed each degree or certificate.

look for employers and programs that will pay for your training and education. win win

if you are going batty in a cubicle you won't have that in nursing. you can change from inpatient to outpatient, you can change from geriatrics to primary care to the ER. this prevents burnout. when the work gets too physically taxing, you can work in nursing education, or auditing.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:39 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
No pain, no gain OP. Sorry. 24 is not "too late" for virtually anything.

Does your current employer have a tuition assistance program?

Go to a local community college and take night courses.

Lose the "don't want", "can't"

Old 09-07-2020, 03:44 PM

111 posts, read 98,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I think the first step in anything is what does interest you? Just going to college isn't going to do it because you will still end up in a boring desk job. Where do your interests lie? That will determine what type of education you will need.
Some of my interests include film, sports, and politics, but I've read online that none of those offer any useful degrees for a successful career.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:51 PM

22,173 posts, read 19,217,049 times
if you are 24 you could easily have 2 or 3 more career changes ahead of you.
there is nothing wrong with that.

if there is a feeling of discontent now, then you can use that to fuel you into a change that sounds like you are ready for and is needed. if you can't decide on "what to do" now, then consider moving to a place you have always wanted to live, and just take any old job while you enjoy your new surroundings. this will bring inspiration to you so you can have a clearer sense of what's next.

Old 09-07-2020, 11:34 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
At 24 I would have considered outdoor, physical work. Forest ranger. Oil field worker. That kind of thing.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:13 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That36guy View Post
Some of my interests include film, sports, and politics, but I've read online that none of those offer any useful degrees for a successful career.
Most people's day jobs aren't based on their hobbies or what interests them in that way, so the question to ask yourself is what interests you *in a job*? Do you want to work in an office or a different environment? Are you good with people? with numbers? with words? with technology? Think about your strengths and your skills, what you could improve, and what kinds of jobs wouldn't kill your soul to do every day.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:43 AM

898 posts, read 597,896 times
Join the National Guard. They will pay for your college. That's what my stepdaughter is doing. She only has 3 classes to complete her Bachelors (she went in with a community college Associates). You can get medical training, training in the trades, training for all sorts of things. Military isn't all guns and bombs. Stepdaughter is actually in an engineering battalion that builds bridges, but with covid and her university getting shut down and her restaurant job shut down, she went to her commander and is working full time at a recruiting office. Supposed to hear today I think if she is going to be a permanent full time recruiter. Wife thinks she is going to make a career out of the military. She gets the 3 classes done and she qualifies for OCS and can become an officer (and outrank her fiance who she met in the Guard).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment