Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2021, 10:06 AM

34,112 posts, read 17,172,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I was in midtown a couple weeks ago. It's more busy there. Especially Penn Station.
MTA published stats still show the New Haven-Grand Central line (far more commute that way than NJ rail-NY) below 25% pre covid levels. The fed bailout avoided a MTA bankruptcy.

I can't speak to how Amtrak is doing vs pre covid, but much of Amtrak is casual travel. New Haven-GCT is almost all business travel, Monday-Friday.

Local coffee shops on the New Haven line, except in the 3 major cities (New Haven, Bridgeport, Stamford) remain closed, as they have been since 3/2020. Parking restrictions are still not enforced, as the lots are a ghost town relative to 3/2020. I adore that, as I can use them to eat out downtown, park at station nearby.

The videos I posted our consistent with some pictures my NYC colleagues have taken in recent weeks. The NYC needle is not moving much. Restaurants will not be saved in NYC via the out of state workforce. (Despite you wishing that were the case.)

Old 04-08-2021, 10:16 AM

16,665 posts, read 8,369,674 times
Default re

Quote:
This is an interesting post to read. I don't share the same sentiment towards how people will respond to Google's decision as you do. The best part of working at Google is interacting with some of the most talented people in the field. Those interactions are minimal in a WFH scenario. I don't think Google will lose many good people over this.

Google is unique in that they have offices in every major city so their ability to attract talent no matter where in the nation is greater than that of other companies.

The way you describe it, being Joe Schmo doesn't seem rewarding... even if you do get to WFH. Why would anyone want to be Joe?

Anyway, I was concerned with companies leaving people in the dark about the future of work. I'm happy to see this change. If people have jobs and they know where to go (or not go), excellent. I'm hoping that Google's decision here will allow for other companies to follow suit with providing guidance.
If there are working moms at Google or people with long ass commutes I'm guessing they want some flexibility to WFH and not have to 'apply' when they go over the 14 days.

Old 04-08-2021, 02:38 PM

8,305 posts, read 3,828,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
MTA published stats still show the New Haven-Grand Central line (far more commute that way than NJ rail-NY) below 25% pre covid levels. The fed bailout avoided a MTA bankruptcy.

I can't speak to how Amtrak is doing vs pre covid, but much of Amtrak is casual travel. New Haven-GCT is almost all business travel, Monday-Friday.

Local coffee shops on the New Haven line, except in the 3 major cities (New Haven, Bridgeport, Stamford) remain closed, as they have been since 3/2020. Parking restrictions are still not enforced, as the lots are a ghost town relative to 3/2020. I adore that, as I can use them to eat out downtown, park at station nearby.

The videos I posted our consistent with some pictures my NYC colleagues have taken in recent weeks. The NYC needle is not moving much. Restaurants will not be saved in NYC via the out of state workforce. (Despite you wishing that were the case.)
I was comparing it to your grand central video. Midtown (specifically Penn Station) is more busy than Grand Central (by comparing my experience to your video). I was in NY from about 4pm to 9pm on a weekday a couple weeks ago. Flew into EWR, met with a real estate agent in NYC, and flew back out.

In comparison to my experience last summer, people out and about in NYC has picked up greatly. Not to "normal" levels, for sure.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:35 PM

34,112 posts, read 17,172,839 times
Quote:
I was comparing it to your grand central video. Midtown (specifically Penn Station) is more busy than Grand Central (by comparing my experience to your video). I was in NY from about 4pm to 9pm on a weekday a couple weeks ago. Flew into EWR, met with a real estate agent in NYC, and flew back out.

In comparison to my experience last summer, people out and about in NYC has picked up greatly. Not to "normal" levels, for sure.
Not my video, but one found on youtube, btw. Glad Penn is doing better. GCT is still in dire shape.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:40 PM

18,550 posts, read 15,626,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Who's to say google will pave the way? The big companies that already announced they're allowing work from anywhere or wfh forever have paved the way. Besides google has a lot of great benefits to offer their employees that most companies don't. I can't say I feel bad that anyone working there has to head back to an office that has free meals and a gym and who knows what else. Not to mention that if you were able to get a job at google chances are you're a pretty attractive candidate who will be able to get a elsewhere if you desire. Joe Schmo who works at some bank or an insurance company might not have the same opportunities as a google employee. Yay google. You're making people sit their ass in a chair and they have to apply if they want to wfh more than 14 days. I hope they lose good people based on that policy. They'll still get more good people though with that name.
Google has a high turnover rate whether they call workers back or not.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesb...h=4a9de7264201

But it seems fair to speculate that they might have more difficulty hiring people to work in the Bay Area if they want them to be in person (and thus pay the insanely high rent). Most other areas of the country don't have that issue to the same extent. More will probably move to low-cost states and the branch office might be popular moving forward. The real estate in the insanely high priced cities was already in a bubble anyway, pandemic or not. The blue collar workers certainly can't afford to live there. And the white collar workers probably don't want all their extra education and skills to be wasted on the exorbitant rent either. But a few will stay because they really like the culture or have family there.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:56 PM

Right google has a new building in Cambridge, ma as well. Also a very expensive area to live in.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:47 PM

8,305 posts, read 3,828,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Google has a high turnover rate whether they call workers back or not.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesb...h=4a9de7264201

But it seems fair to speculate that they might have more difficulty hiring people to work in the Bay Area if they want them to be in person (and thus pay the insanely high rent). Most other areas of the country don't have that issue to the same extent. More will probably move to low-cost states and the branch office might be popular moving forward. The real estate in the insanely high priced cities was already in a bubble anyway, pandemic or not. The blue collar workers certainly can't afford to live there. And the white collar workers probably don't want all their extra education and skills to be wasted on the exorbitant rent either. But a few will stay because they really like the culture or have family there.
It's the full package that matters. People hop tech jobs because it takes 3-4 jobs to reach a 7 figure compensation package. The question is whether Google and others will make the packages compelling enough to live in high rent areas... or whether high rent will reduce as people move around.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:02 AM

7 figure compensation package ? Um the average google person is not getting that. Maybe you meant to say 6?

Old 04-09-2021, 06:22 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,266,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
7 figure compensation package ? Um the average google person is not getting that. Maybe you meant to say 6?

Well, the chart pastes and looks ok then I save and it gets compressed into unreadable garbage. Anyways, L8 has a max package worth $1.3 million and L7 has $710k. Starting level is $179k

https://careerkarma.com/blog/software-engineering-salary-google

Old 04-09-2021, 09:58 AM

Our leadership people just sent a covid update. We are in MA and the new variant has been increasing around here and the vaccine isn't even available to everyone yet. The leadership person said that they've been getting lots of questions on how they will plan to keep everyone safe. Most people are not supposed to go back until August or September...I have no idea what's in store for my dept as nothing has been communicated yet. I would think that by August/September things will be much better and there shouldn't be a reason to worry too much...however people obviously don't want to return hence all the emails they're sending about how will we be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment