Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2021, 07:47 PM

34,359 posts, read 17,555,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The comments are a continuation of a thread where it was proposed that everyone be required to work from home two days a week.
No, just the facts. Employment At Will is the best thing ever to happen to both employers and employees. Not happy at work is not a thing either must put up with.

Now we also cannot force employers to spend money on anything, be it inventory, services of suppliers, or office space. It is their money, so they will properly set the rules.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:48 PM

22,248 posts, read 13,469,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
That's kind of my thought as well. Usually when something is going well you continue it. All year many people said how well things were going yet those same people are calling folks back. I cannot believe that google employees have to apply to work more than 14 days a year. I'm guessing people will be leaving them. Perhaps some happy people will take their place who knows.
ncole1, Google may have ONSITE openings soon!

Old 04-01-2021, 07:50 PM

18,567 posts, read 15,786,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Let us suppose you went back to the office. Got your semblance of normalcy, continuity, superior printers, and internet. What if your co-workers didn't come back to the office but stayed in WFH? Would you then expect or demand that they too must work from the office alongside you?
I don't believe there would be ZERO others in the office. Most of the surveys show about 15% or 20% want to be back in the office full-time. But if your question is about a hypothetical extreme scenario where everyone totally refused any contact with me at all? Yes, I'd go crazy. Many people would, I think. The people that work in Antarctica or in very remote places are selected for tolerance to isolation. Presumably because a lot of people have a limit. I can only hope that if it happens in real life, I would have enough money saved up to move to a more sociable location without working.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No, just the facts. Employment At Will is the best thing ever to happen to both employers and employees. Not happy at work is not a thing either must put up with.

Now we also cannot force employers to spend money on anything, be it inventory, services of suppliers, or office space. It is their money, so they will properly set the rules.
You clearly did not read either of the articles. They are proposing that ALL employers should have the same rules. Employment at will doesn't help if the new job has the same problem as the old one.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:02 PM

17,460 posts, read 9,134,755 times
I give this article two big thumbs up:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bos...tputType%3Damp

Old 04-01-2021, 08:04 PM

6,528 posts, read 9,942,253 times
Quote:
You clearly did not read either of the articles. They are proposing that ALL employers should have the same rules. Employment at will doesn't help if the new job has the same problem as the old one.
It will never be that way and you know it. There will always be exceptions. Some jobs/industries cannot be done from home, and it has nothing to do with security. I work for the fed gov and have one of their laptops I can use anywhere with wifi. Most jobs behind a computer desk can be done from home, jobs that require hands on equipment, or food, or whatever can't be done from home. There will always be doctors/medical/dental offices with people. Sciences, pharmacist, fire, police, the list goes on. Its not just blue collar jobs that are hands on.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:48 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,536,604 times
Quote:
I don't believe there would be ZERO others in the office. Most of the surveys show about 15% or 20% want to be back in the office full-time. But if your question is about a hypothetical extreme scenario where everyone totally refused any contact with me at all? Yes, I'd go crazy. Many people would, I think. The people that work in Antarctica or in very remote places are selected for tolerance to isolation. Presumably because a lot of people have a limit. I can only hope that if it happens in real life, I would have enough money saved up to move to a more sociable location without working.
Then you are admitting that this is about you not wanting to be alone. You won't work in your office if you are the only one there.

You wouldn't be satisfied at my job as I may as well be alone. I have my own office, I have to keep the door shut due to Co-Vid and unless I pass someone in the hallway I have NO contact with anyone as I have different job duties. I am too busy to chit chat anyway. I also avoid office drama.

Can you see why I and others would prefer to be home as much as possible? Just coming in 1-2 days a week I am forced to commute just to isolate in an office when I get there.

Oh, I of course can't even so much as make a copy or go to the restroom without putting a mask on. (Company issued only - no personalization and no N-95's allowed). I also have to have my temp taken every time I come in the building (even if I just leave for 15 minutes), THEN I have wipe down any piece of office equipment I touched with anti bacterial wipes before I leave. It's exhausting! I would rather work at home with my own equipment.

Wait till you have to go back and really are "forced" to work under all the new safety rules. You will have something to complain about then. I see both sides as I am doing both. The in office part is worse now. Just hope you don't work with germaphobes, they aren't talking to anyone anyway. A few in my building are wearing gas masks/full respirators all day. LOL It's unbelievable.

Last edited by motownnative; 04-01-2021 at 09:01 PM..

Old 04-01-2021, 08:50 PM

13,049 posts, read 9,357,440 times
Quote:
Just trying to get through all the smoke screens, chaff, and flare to get to your real issue. It isn't about work from home or any of these wild, panic driven scenarios you keep coming up with. You need to get out of your house and go visit one of those bars or restaurants that you are so afraid of with some friends. The rest of us are just fine with work from home because we aren't putting ourselves in solitary confinement. Work from home let's us get our work done in peace and then socialize as much or as little as we need after hours.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:02 PM

34,359 posts, read 17,555,113 times
Quote:
But if your question is about a hypothetical extreme scenario where everyone totally refused any contact with me at all? Yes, I'd go crazy.
I would respect their right to keep away from you, or work with you, as THEIR free choice decisions must be respected, too.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Just trying to get through all the smoke screens, chaff, and flare to get to your real issue. It isn't about work from home or any of these wild, panic driven scenarios you keep coming up with. You need to get out of your house and go visit one of those bars or restaurants that you are so afraid of with some friends. The rest of us are just fine with work from home because we aren't putting ourselves in solitary confinement. Work from home let's us get our work done in peace and then socialize as much or as little as we need after hours.
Nope. I said this as an extreme hypothetical, not as the situation I find myself in. I have not been completely devoid of human contact for a year and do not support anyone being required to return. This was an extreme scenario that is beyond anyone's real world including mine. You have attempted to set an intellectual booby trap by inquiring about my response to an unimaginably extreme hypothetical and then claiming that it is my viewpoint and I'm a hypocrite. That is no less intellectually dishonest than I would be if I claimed to support free choice but then demanded a universal office return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I would respect their right to keep away from you, or work with you, as THEIR free choice decisions must be respected, too.
You say that because this is an extreme hypothetical that no one of us on this forum has been in, including me. I think if you were forced to live in the desert for a year you'd change your tune. But it is totally irrelevant for the remote work discussion since it is a hypothetical extreme and not a description of either real remote work or solitary office work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment