Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2021, 09:30 PM

1,065 posts, read 476,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
We've been given clear guidance, too. Everyone back in their seats full-time NOW. No exceptions.
Spectacular. This is great to hear.

I mostly hear from others that they've been given either no guidance or vague guidance. My employer has given us a date of September 1st for when offices will open and people are welcome to return if they wish to... but on a completely voluntary basis.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:36 PM

34,205 posts, read 17,283,332 times
I think NYC, most crippled by wfh, should try a commuter tax stipend, meaning I'd offer out of state commuters a prepaid debit card w/o fees to be used solely on Metro North trains or MTA subways, provided every 30 days, for half the pre covid monthly fare from New Haven (about $250 is what 50% would be). Give it a 60 day window before each card expires.

Restaurants are NOT going to get their old crowd back w/o incentives to commuters. The wfh folks had no commuting expense over a year now, so if they return, it will spike that expense, and most will refrain from going to restaurants near work.

There is no magic reset button. Life will not simply return to normal. Yes some companies will open, but most will retain wfh or a hybrid mix a far longer period of time..if not permanently.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:37 PM

8,362 posts, read 3,858,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
We've been given clear guidance, too. Everyone back in their seats full-time NOW. No exceptions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
My employer has given us a date of September 1st for when offices will open and people are welcome to return if they wish to... but on a completely voluntary basis.
This is good news. I guess we're coming to an end of "no plans".

Old 04-07-2021, 09:37 PM

16,980 posts, read 8,640,314 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Agreed. So many people don't know what the future will hold for working. Google is taking the lead and paving the way for employers that were shy to make the decision to return to the office.

I felt that some employers were okay with WFH... but many weren't. Now they don't have to feel pressured into it and determine what they really want for themselves and their company. I expect us to see more companies finalizing their strategies going forward.
Who's to say google will pave the way? The big companies that already announced they're allowing work from anywhere or wfh forever have paved the way. Besides google has a lot of great benefits to offer their employees that most companies don't. I can't say I feel bad that anyone working there has to head back to an office that has free meals and a gym and who knows what else. Not to mention that if you were able to get a job at google chances are you're a pretty attractive candidate who will be able to get a elsewhere if you desire. Joe Schmo who works at some bank or an insurance company might not have the same opportunities as a google employee. Yay google. You're making people sit their ass in a chair and they have to apply if they want to wfh more than 14 days. I hope they lose good people based on that policy. They'll still get more good people though with that name.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Who's to say google will pave the way? The big companies that already announced they're allowing work from anywhere or wfh forever have paved the way. Besides google has a lot of great benefits to offer their employees that most companies don't. I can't say I feel bad that anyone working there has to head back to an office that has free meals and a gym and who knows what else. Not to mention that if you were able to get a job at google chances are you're a pretty attractive candidate who will be able to get a elsewhere if you desire. Joe Schmo who works at some bank or an insurance company might not have the same opportunities as a google employee. Yay google. You're making people sit their ass in a chair and they have to apply if they want to wfh more than 14 days. I hope they lose good people based on that policy. They'll still get more good people though with that name.
This is an interesting post to read. I don't share the same sentiment towards how people will respond to Google's decision as you do. The best part of working at Google is interacting with some of the most talented people in the field. Those interactions are minimal in a WFH scenario. I don't think Google will lose many good people over this.

Google is unique in that they have offices in every major city so their ability to attract talent no matter where in the nation is greater than that of other companies.

The way you describe it, being Joe Schmo doesn't seem rewarding... even if you do get to WFH. Why would anyone want to be Joe?

Anyway, I was concerned with companies leaving people in the dark about the future of work. I'm happy to see this change. If people have jobs and they know where to go (or not go), excellent. I'm hoping that Google's decision here will allow for other companies to follow suit with providing guidance.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:48 PM

Grand Central 3-31-2021. Middle of the week. I have walked those corridors thousands of times. That is less than 20% of the pre covid traffic, even if it was mid-afternoon (not rush hour). Some of their stores are still shuttered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y-DdWjkTUw

Old 04-07-2021, 09:54 PM

4-2-2021 Times Sq Shuttle

I can't recall how many dozens of rides I have gone w/o getting a seat on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmYi6lUqpmk

Old 04-07-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Grand Central 3-31-2021. Middle of the week. I have walked those corridors thousands of times. That is less than 20% of the pre covid traffic, even if it was mid-afternoon (not rush hour). Some of their stores are still shuttered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y-DdWjkTUw
I was in midtown a couple weeks ago. It's more busy there. Especially Penn Station.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I don't think Google will lose many good people over this.

Google , I agree, will be fine, as people will work there a short period of time to have that name on their resume. Much like Big 4 auditors who almost always flee for a sane life after a few years, or Amazon hq staff..same m.o.

Most corps however lack Google's ability to ignore working conditions. Most need to compete. I was shocked at the robust jobs report we just saw, but you can bet, at non well known corps, that makes them a little less sure they can impose terms, and retain staff. There are still new remote positions added on job boards every day..a ton of them..many for roles that pre covid were in office work only.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:04 AM

22,114 posts, read 13,222,667 times
Quote:
This is good news. I guess we're coming to an end of "no plans".
Except that various employers' plans are all over map, from one extreme to the other, based on the same "science."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.