Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 07:34 AM

7,031 posts, read 14,562,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
No employer is going to allow an outside entity (even governmental) collect evidence about workplace abuse. They will make it so the auditor only sees the happy kool-aid people. So if you're looking for objective evidence aggregated across employers you are not going to get it.
Try Glassdoor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 01:20 PM

7,904 posts, read 11,501,792 times
Education pushes safe space for each group. Our corporations actually have to compete globally for success to create good jobs.bthus generation of workers wasn't taught much of value or to prepare them for work. Work is a four letter word and has no room for people so scared they needed safe space and for employees taught they were the center if the universe.

Time for Americans to grow some back bone. The Titans who create jobs don't need a safe place not do Asian and Eastern European workers who stand ready to know us companies blocks off.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:35 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,770,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
There must be an extremely high level of job satisfaction if people are content staying where they are.
Without speaking specifically about that specific employer/employee situation, that logic doesn't hold water. People "staying where they are" as as likely a reflection of how bad other choices are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
During the Great Recession and the few years after it, many American corporations got away with the above since workers often had no choice. Nowadays, with the unemployment rate low, many workers are leaving such companies in droves.
Sorry, I'm not seeing that in Georgia.

Maybe that's happening in Texas (and maybe, just like when it happened in the past in places like Florida and New York, there will be an accompanying local labor crash a few years from now).

Old 09-14-2018, 01:40 PM

5,125 posts, read 2,808,882 times
Default My Own Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Education pushes safe space for each group. Our corporations actually have to compete globally for success to create good jobs.bthus generation of workers wasn't taught much of value or to prepare them for work. Work is a four letter word and has no room for people so scared they needed safe space and for employees taught they were the center if the universe.

Time for Americans to grow some back bone. The Titans who create jobs don't need a safe place not do Asian and Eastern European workers who stand ready to know us companies blocks off.

Safe spaces? I am getting very upset, so I am going into my own safe space. No noise, no trouble, no problems. Well actually no.

However, after the crazy IT career that I had, the whole world seems like a safe space to me now. LOL!

Old 09-14-2018, 01:41 PM

22,221 posts, read 9,800,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
All of the "find your purpose at work" stuff has set up unrealistic expectations.
Couldn't agree more. Oprah is the one who started all this nonsense.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:08 PM

5,982 posts, read 2,946,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Without speaking specifically about that specific employer/employee situation, that logic doesn't hold water. People "staying where they are" as as likely a reflection of how bad other choices are.
If a person isn't actively looking for other jobs (spending at least a few hours/week networking, submitting resumes, etc.), they are content where they are. Judge people by their actions, not their words.

Last edited by Lekrii; 09-14-2018 at 03:25 PM..

Old 09-14-2018, 06:28 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,268,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
When was working and employment some mystical garden full of fun and adventure?

Work is work. It's all been the same since I began working over 25 years.

What has changed are worker expectations. All of the "find your purpose at work" stuff has set up unrealistic expectations.
Exactly! I just had this talk with anput of work young woman last night. I really had to work had to get her to understand that only one in a million can find their passion at work. Just work. Find your passion at home, within yourself, at church or volunteering.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Exactly! I just had this talk with anput of work young woman last night. I really had to work had to get her to understand that only one in a million can find their passion at work. Just work. Find your passion at home, within yourself, at church or volunteering.
At work, all I cared about was the money. Passion? No. Money? Yes. Work doesn't have to be good or fun if you are being paid to do it.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:22 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,207,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
At work, all I cared about was the money. Passion? No. Money? Yes. Work doesn't have to be good or fun if you are being paid to do it.
For the right amount of money, plenty of people become pretty passionate all of a sudden

Old 09-15-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
For the right amount of money, plenty of people become pretty passionate all of a sudden
Oh, yeah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment