Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 07:41 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,749,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
They dont look at their workforce as human. Just a statistic to abuse.
No, not "abuse" - and even "exploit" is too strong a word. I think what describes it most precisely is saying that they view employees as a resource from which to extract value, just like incoming raw materials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 08:22 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,937,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Wrong again. People "staying where they are" as as likely a reflection of how bad other choices are.
You seem to be having trouble reading what I said.

A person not putting effort into finding a new job or educating themselves to earn a new job is content where they are.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It's not cherry picking to exclude things that are not part of the set. Otherwise everyone could be a CEO and then CEO pay would equal worker pay.

What, you don't like analogies? Analogies are a great way to make a point.

Besides, you never heard of company script and company stores? Company owned housing in a company town? How about sharecropping? My dad grew up the son of a sharecropper. You did all the work, took all the financial risk, the owner got the biggest percentage of the crop, and you still had to pay rent to the owner and buy the seed from the owner. Sharecropping, company housing, company stores, company script all create an untenable cycle of debt bondage. Still goes on today. It's one of the darker sides of illegal immigration. Also to some extent H1bs, and things like med school and grad school thrive on a modern version of it.
But CEO pay isn't equal to worker pay. Average CEO pay is about 9x higher than average worker pay. You picked a dataset (the fortune 500) which is 6% of public companies in the US, and a slim fraction of all companies, simply because it makes your point look better. Those are Fox News tactics. Don't cherry pick.

Yes, my grandfather worked for a company store. He was essentially a slave. Those business practices are illegal now. The ridiculous analogies you keep using make me wonder if you've ever had a job. It's easier today than ever before to educate yourself and find new jobs. The number of people on this forum who go through mental gymnastics to justify not putting effort into improving their situations is amazing.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:36 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
You seem to be having trouble reading what I said.
Not at all. I was quoting what I said, the exact words which you objected to that started this portion of the thread.

Perhaps you had trouble reading what I said.

Perhaps it wasn't a matter of reading, but just a matter that you wanted to object solely for the sake of objecting. :shrug:

Old 09-16-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Not at all. I was quoting what I said, the exact words which you objected to that started this portion of the thread.

Perhaps you had trouble reading what I said.

Perhaps it wasn't a matter of reading, but just a matter that you wanted to object solely for the sake of objecting. :shrug:
You responded to me first, not the other way around. Did you forget that? You called what I said a fallacy, when you seem to not have read or understood what I said.

You selectively quoted me again (as you seem to have a habit of doing). I addressed your point already in post #73. Respond to the parts of that you cut out when you quoted me.

Last edited by Lekrii; 09-16-2018 at 08:53 AM..

Old 09-16-2018, 08:53 AM
bUU

Quote:
You responded to me, not the other way around. Did you forget that?
Nope. I responded to your saying,"There must be an extremely high level of job satisfaction if people are content staying where they are."

Quote:
You called what I said a fallacy
Because it was a fallacy. And I pointed out why. You clearly didn't like that. Get over it.

People "staying where they are" as as likely a reflection of how bad other choices are.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Nope. I responded to your saying,"There must be an extremely high level of job satisfaction if people are content staying where they are."

Because it was a fallacy. And I pointed out why. You clearly didn't like that. Get over it.

People "staying where they are" as as likely a reflection of how bad other choices are.
I read what you said and disagreed with it. You are wrong.

Given you selectively quoted me again, I explained this. You cut that explanation out, then cut out me telling you to go back and read my explanation. Go back to post #73. A general tip, quote everything someone says to you when on forums like this. Cutting out pieces to only reply to the bits you like isn't useful in a conversation.

Last edited by Lekrii; 09-16-2018 at 09:21 AM..

Old 09-16-2018, 04:03 PM

7,031 posts, read 14,537,712 times
Quote:
Sorry, I'm not seeing that in Georgia.

Maybe that's happening in Texas (and maybe, just like when it happened in the past in places like Florida and New York, there will be an accompanying local labor crash a few years from now).
Then move to Texas.

Fyi, one of my friends just moved from Texas to take a job paying well over 6 figures in Georgia.

And a distant cousin of mine sold her million dollar Southern California home to move to Northern California for a once in a lifetime opportunity to work for Facebook and she took her two year old son with her even before her husband was able to find a job in the same metro to join her.

This isn't 2009 anymore. The economy isn't "easy" to deal with today but it's certainly a piece of cake compared to during the Great Recession. I know that cause I graduated in 2009 with ZERO work experience and did everything in my power land a job during the worst economic crisis in recent decades because the alternative was to go back home.. to a broken home that most people take for granted of NOT having to deal with.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:54 AM

225 posts, read 150,955 times
I would say workplace satisfaction has declined because general employment conditions have worsened. Let me give an anecdotal example.

At my company in the 1980's and 90's, when people started working my job, they started out with union tariff salaries and could expect yearly increases. After a few years there would be an automatic shift to above tariff pay. The contract would state a 35 hour workweek with job-duties and -title well defined in the contract. Employees could grow their career in the direction which they managed to agree on during the hiring process and look forward to a financially bright and secure future. The division belonged to a large company which all of you in here likely know.

Fast forward 30 years to today. What union tariff salaries? You get paid whatever is enough to attract fresh graduates in the post recession economy. What yearly raises? You get pseudo inflation adjustments and management decided that regular salary negotiations are bad. You wanna grow your career into a certain direction? Forget about it, your job description changes with every fart of your regional manager. If people don't comply they will be pressured. The division also belongs to a greedy holding now, which expects a doubling of business profits every so often. One can feel the squeeze and this is what employees who remember the 90's talk about. The list goes on...

When I talk to people, this seems to be a bit of a theme at the moment. I am hoping that one day these operations will run out of fodder and treating your employees with respect becomes a tangible business advantage again. One can hope...

Cheers

Last edited by Odenwald; 09-17-2018 at 01:03 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 03:01 AM
bUU

Quote:
I read what you said and disagreed with it. You are wrong.
You are entitled to your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Then move to Texas.
Which is advice as useful to a out-of-work person as telling a homeless person "build a house". It ignores all the realities of the situation but it sure is a handy excuse for bad behavior on the part of those seeking to evade the basic human expectations of consideration for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment