Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 03:46 PM

7 posts, read 7,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Is it because employers seem to be more corrupt than usual (though I don't see how they could be as bad as they were in the pre-union era.)? Is it because of the everyone gets a trophy mentality and everyone doesn't feel they are getting what they deserve? Is it because people, especially men, are finding a lot of their value and personal worth (and others rate them this way too) from their jobs whereas, in the past, they got it from many things? Has there always been some level of annoyance, but, with the rise of the Internet, it's just more spoken now than it was in the pre-web days, especially as, unlike in the past, it's easier to post anonymously?

There is no more incentive to stay and tolerate things workers once tolerated. The job hoping era started in the 80s and has continued since. Once pensions were no longer offered people had to rely on 401k, which seemed like a good idea at the time, but now they are finding out it backfired on employers.

Now people can quit whenever they want and go to another job that is better and still have their 401k carry over and expand.

The other reason is some employers do not offer enough benefits to their employees, so they have to find a job that does offer those things.

Also a lot of office jobs many employees now longer have long lunch breaks and are eating facing the computer at their desk for 15-30minutes and quickly gobbling down their lunch. That seems more like a punishment for misbehaving than a lunch break. Don't forget about all these entrepreneurs that make you bring your own computer, because they refuse to supply a work computer, or a fairly modern work computer that can run current software they want you to use.

But the biggest reason is the 401k, or having no benefits, and job hoping will continue because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 04:08 PM

13,032 posts, read 9,328,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Hey, OP, how many people have told you face to face about their work woes? I think you are suffering from a cognitive bias.
Let's see, how many work where I do? Then add in the turnover the last 15 years and subtract the new hires who haven't learned yet .... somewhere between 250 and 300.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:05 PM

8,129 posts, read 10,762,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
1. Poor management in most places that don't understand the operation that goes on below them. Mainly because in most companies it seems like they are hired from the outside and didn't work their way up the ladder to understand just exactly what the workforce below them needs to be successful

2. Skeleton crews. A higher workload thrown on employees (for no extra pay) mainly because of point #1.

3. Poor yearly raises and bonuses. More money is filtering to the top than ever before as shown in the every increasing gap of income between the rich and middle class

4. Investment in the workforce. Completely GONE. No more company ladder to climb, no more training. No incentives. If you're a greater worker and reliable, the only reward is just MORE WORK

Its easy to see why most workplaces are filled with people doing just enough not to get fired, morale is low, and very few people are motivated.
This is so spot-on.

I was that employee that never called out sick, always volunteered to stay later or take on extra work if needed, rarely complained, wanted my company to do well, and then realized in recent years that it doesn't mean a thing anymore. Ended up burned out and never getting any more compensation than the slackers were. And no more job security either. In fact, you are basically a doormat for the company if you are doing these things.

Working just enough to not get fired. Absolutely, right on into retirement.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:09 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,600,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
What kind of hell hole you've been working in?
He describes pretty much every job I have had.

Of course, the goal is to rise above it all.. by finding some way to go into business for oneself...

Old 09-13-2018, 07:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,894,031 times
There is no loyalty. Employers from my dad’s generation had great benefits, a pension and genuinely cared for the welfare of everyone.

Now companies squeeze every dollar to make a profit and the first way is from the employee’s pocket. Higher cost for insurance, laying people off and expecting someone to take on the workload, longer hours.

Every company I have worked for has done this. I envy people who have been at jobs for decades and have had great work experiences. I know a handful of people that have this in my generation.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:35 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,929,336 times
I don't have a very good feeling for most jobs in general because most white collar corporate jobs is just a game. Majority of people are there to prop up the egos of the higher ups, most workers don't make stuff or produce anything of value. When someone ask you what do you do for a living and you can tell them that writing emails and complaining about other depts is the typical thing you do on a day to day basis yet there are folks who are really busting their butts everyday to save people and not getting paid as much as some secretary that just answers a phone or order supplies for the boss when all of this stuff will be automated or already automated at many companies.

Majority of jobs today are just corporate welfare jobs and many people feel they are worthless because the job they perform gives them no personal satisfaction. You're not saving people or helping people's lives better in fact many people that work in finance probably are doing more damage to society.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:41 PM

7,986 posts, read 5,048,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
This is so spot-on.

I was that employee that never called out sick, always volunteered to stay later or take on extra work if needed, rarely complained, wanted my company to do well, and then realized in recent years that it doesn't mean a thing anymore. Ended up burned out and never getting any more compensation than the slackers were. And no more job security either. In fact, you are basically a doormat for the company if you are doing these things.

Working just enough to not get fired. Absolutely, right on into retirement.
Yep.. Working hard is a suckers game in today's workplace. Theres no point in going above and beyond in most workplaces because the truth is, no one will care anyways.

I haven't seen a dedicated hard worker who goes above and beyond promoted in YEARS. Ive seen plenty of lazy, useless and/or clueless people promoted however. or people brought in from the outside who only got the position because they were friends in the hiring manager despite having absolutely no idea how to do the job

Old 09-13-2018, 09:02 PM

5,982 posts, read 2,951,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Let's see, how many work where I do? Then add in the turnover the last 15 years and subtract the new hires who haven't learned yet .... somewhere between 250 and 300.
Out of those 300 people, how many were actively looking for new jobs, and how many were only complaining?

Old 09-13-2018, 09:07 PM

5,982 posts, read 2,951,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Yep.. Working hard is a suckers game in today's workplace. Theres no point in going above and beyond in most workplaces because the truth is, no one will care anyways.

I haven't seen a dedicated hard worker who goes above and beyond promoted in YEARS. Ive seen plenty of lazy, useless and/or clueless people promoted however. or people brought in from the outside who only got the position because they were friends in the hiring manager despite having absolutely no idea how to do the job
I often see lower performing employees try to justify laziness and poor performance by claiming everyone who gets promoted must be clueless, must have connections, etc.

That's easier than realizing some sort of personal fault preventing that lazy person from progressing.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:11 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,212,927 times
The days of showing up everyday, working hard and marching up the ladder are over.

I don't know anyone in the last 10 years who has gotten a promotion at the same company. All have had to jump ship and find another job to move forward.

When I first started working I knew several people who literally started on the shop floor at the lowest of jobs and 20-25 years later where in executive management roles at the same company. And these aren't small companies, I am talking big areospace companies. Also, most general managers I knew came up through the shop floor.

I wonder how many employees picking orders on the floor of an Amazon distribution center are going to make it to an Amazon executive position? I doubt any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment