Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 05:54 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,927,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
You are entitled to your opinion.
Thank you. If you care to respond to me again in this thread, start by responding to all of post #73, instead of selectively quoting pieces of what's said.

Last edited by Lekrii; 09-17-2018 at 06:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 09:46 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,286,349 times
Many people are unhappy because for all we can tolerate, many jobs nowadays don't even serve the basic function (from the employee's perspective) of being able to pay bills.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:29 AM

109 posts, read 78,755 times
I think a lot of the prevalence of people putting up with extra duties without extra compensation for the trouble is because people can pay a huge price to make a change. Many jobs are more than just a salary. They also involve health insurance and retirement plans. Doing without health insurance for any length of time can be disastrous. Even when someone has the option to temporarily move to COBRA benefits, the cost is outrageous. As far as retirement, it can cause long range issues to stop one and start another. If health insurance and retirement plans could become easily transferable between jobs, I think employers would have a lot less control and employees could advocate for themselves more.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:10 PM

35,141 posts, read 31,445,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGal View Post
I think a lot of the prevalence of people putting up with extra duties without extra compensation for the trouble is because people can pay a huge price to make a change. Many jobs are more than just a salary. They also involve health insurance and retirement plans. Doing without health insurance for any length of time can be disastrous. Even when someone has the option to temporarily move to COBRA benefits, the cost is outrageous. As far as retirement, it can cause long range issues to stop one and start another. If health insurance and retirement plans could become easily transferable between jobs, I think employers would have a lot less control and employees could advocate for themselves more.
Things like vesting schedules can also be hugely problematic.

My employer contributions aren't vested until five years here. I've been here for two. You can easily start playing mental games that "well, if I stay here for just one more..." especially once you're close to something. You always seem to be chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but rarely if ever reach the pot.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:30 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,508,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
You are entitled to your opinion.

Which is advice as useful to a out-of-work person as telling a homeless person "build a house". It ignores all the realities of the situation but it sure is a handy excuse for bad behavior on the part of those seeking to evade the basic human expectations of consideration for others.
Well, would you be as dissatisfied if you were to move to another state and have to deal with the negative consequences of moving vs staying where you are?

Old 09-19-2018, 01:51 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,648,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
What kind of hell hole you've been working in?
Same ones I worked in apparently.

Edit: oops, just noted this thread has over 100 posts. I usually don’t respond to threads that have taken on a life of their own.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:42 PM

299 posts, read 162,858 times
Hi, just to respond on the hell hole comment: It is a hell hole. It's one hot mess. It's like some kind of torture, only I'm being paid for it!

Honestly, it's a mindf*ck. I can't get out, can't just quit, can't find work, so I have to sit and endure it. I get picked apart by a boss almost daily, definitely weekly. I have no idea if I'll have a job tomorrow. But yet I'm expected to come in and do a great job and smile. My teammates have smelled fear and are probably being recruited by said boss, so they too pick me apart, dig into my work, and give me the cold shoulder. One outright bullied me in a meeting (verbally).

And yet... no one up high in our country really pays attention or cares about corporations or what they do to their employees. I know it's worse out there, just look at Apple in Asia. There, they just install a net to catch their employees when they try suicide. Here, we have crazy workplace violence. And they wonder why.

There is a tiny bright light for me anyhow - the internet. It opened up how we work. And opened up opportunities. I see a ton of remote employers, maybe it's better over there.

Good luck everyone. It's hard out there. And I do take personal responsibility. Had I not fallen into the student debt and car loan and mortgage loan pits - soon to be bubbles - I would not be forced into working for this circus they call a job.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:02 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,727,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Quote:
Which is advice as useful to a out-of-work person as telling a homeless person "build a house".
Well, would you be as dissatisfied if you were to move to another state and have to deal with the negative consequences of moving vs staying where you are?
You are missing the point. Again: For those of whom we are speaking, telling them to "move to another state" is the same as telling a homeless person to "build a house".

Old 09-20-2018, 04:53 AM

7,209 posts, read 9,365,452 times
I think people become dissatisfied when they compare their lives to others who seem to have it much better.

Consider Facebook. Many people post pictures and videos to brag about their wonderful lives. If yours is not going well, it's normal to feel like "Why not me?"

People seem to measure their situation in comparison to others and they tend to focus only on the few who are doing better rather than the many who are not.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:53 PM

5,010 posts, read 2,738,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I think people become dissatisfied when they compare their lives to others who seem to have it much better.

Consider Facebook. Many people post pictures and videos to brag about their wonderful lives. If yours is not going well, it's normal to feel like "Why not me?"

People seem to measure their situation in comparison to others and they tend to focus only on the few who are doing better rather than the many who are not.
Unfortunately, many people who post on Facebook with pictures and videos bragging about their wonderful lives, don't have wonderful lives. You can show whatever you want on that medium and have the reality be quite different. People may be looking at other "successful" people on Facebook and be asking "Why not me?", not realizing that their lives are better than the ones they are admiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment