Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 05:29 PM

7,023 posts, read 3,812,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Is it because employers seem to be more corrupt than usual (though I don't see how they could be as bad as they were in the pre-union era.)? Is it because of the everyone gets a trophy mentality and everyone doesn't feel they are getting what they deserve? Is it because people, especially men, are finding a lot of their value and personal worth (and others rate them this way too) from their jobs whereas, in the past, they got it from many things? Has there always been some level of annoyance, but, with the rise of the Internet, it's just more spoken now than it was in the pre-web days, especially as, unlike in the past, it's easier to post anonymously?
Could be that they are applying to the wrong jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 09:16 PM

7,031 posts, read 14,582,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
You are missing the point. Again: For those of whom we are speaking, telling them to "move to another state" is the same as telling a homeless person to "build a house".
Then just drop everything and move to a new state. Physically move yourself permanently there with little/no regard to the rest of the logistics. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Would you be happier staying with your current job otherwise?

Old 09-21-2018, 03:21 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,789,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I think people become dissatisfied when they compare their lives to others who seem to have it much better.
In other words, "everything is relative."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Then just drop everything and move to a new state.
You are missing the point. Again: For those of whom we are speaking, telling them to "move to another state" is the same as telling a homeless person to "build a house".

Old 09-21-2018, 10:35 AM

7,031 posts, read 14,582,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
In other words, "everything is relative."

What? The laws of physics prevents you from getting into your car, hopping onto a plane, or even walking to a new state?

Old 09-21-2018, 04:19 PM

7,023 posts, read 3,812,214 times
Quote:
What? The laws of physics prevents you from getting into your car, hopping onto a plane, or even walking to a new state?
Person may not be financially able to move

Old 09-21-2018, 05:51 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,968,690 times
One of opinions that I often see put forth on this forum is that adding value to your employer is the optimum strategy for increasing earning power in business. I disagree with this. I see it every single day at work. It's not just the company I work for, it's also our clients and their customers.

The problem, in a nutshell, is that if you add value to your company, oftentimes your boss will not make any more money. And your bosses boss also won't make any more money, either. So when the truly exceptional produce additional clients, or ideas that will save money, or create processes that boost efficiency, it only adds to the workload of those higher up. So the truly sad thing is that the most highly skilled workers not only do NOT get promoted or get raises, they end up with a target on their backs and are often run right out of the company.

IMO this is the systemic problem that no one is talking about. And it's rotting our companies from the inside.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:31 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,215,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
You just got to hand it to all the people who throw out, well move then, like it is so easy and anybody can do it at any time.

It takes a considerable amount of time to interview, get hired, background checks, get onboarded, work a whole pay period, and then finally get paid.

From the time my daughter got an offer at her current job, until she finally worked her first day at work, it was 8 weeks, then it took another 3 weeks to get her first check. And this was a pretty low wage type position that supposedly they just can't find anyone qualified to do and there is a huge shortage etc..... Companies are in no hurry. It also took her almost 2 months to get the job offer in the first place.

You can't just pick up and leave to another state unless you have the needed money to make the transition.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:33 PM

299 posts, read 164,357 times
Quote:
Could be that they are applying to the wrong jobs.
I think this is me. But I'm stuck in a cycle. I'm getting fired, then have to run to another job, any job, to keep the income going. Chances are high that the "anything job" isn't a good fit, but what am I going to do? I don't really have the luxury of checking around and finding the best fit.

Today I was fired. And in another room, another floor, another person was sitting in a team meeting listening to the news of being fired. And in another team meeting, the entire group heard about their demise. All the while, it's shoved under the rug and no one on the outside knows about it. This is what it's come to folks. No safe haven really. Employer's just tossing you out like trash.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:49 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,789,161 times
Quote:
That laws of physics are not the only considerations.

Quote:
Indeed. And the person may be part of a family unit where moving for one partner degrades the work opportunities for the other. There are myriad reasons. The fact that someone would think that only the laws of physics applies shows just how disreputable the naysaying has gotten.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:33 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,790,646 times
Most Americans have to work because they need money to put a roof over their head and food on the table. If they had all the money in the world, they would rather stay home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment