Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 08:26 AM

715 posts, read 1,076,782 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I found out that I will not be issued a company cell phone. It’s a BYOD (bring your own device) setup. I would be expected to use my personal cell phone for work. I can expense the bill every month, which is nice, but I immediately thought of the blurring of my work and personal life and I’m not sure of how thrilled I will be about that.

I already expect to work long hours, but my weekends will be mine. My personal number will be given to clients so they can reach me. At recent employers, I sometimes used my cell phone for conference calls when working from home or for co-workers to reach me, but clients never had my personal number.

I’m also concerned with possibly losing my number later, a number I have had for years and the only number many friends and family have in order to reach me. Then there’s the personal information, although I do backup to iCloud, so probably not a big deal there. Work would allow me to expense the monthly plan of the second device, but not the second device itself.

On the other hand, carrying a second won’t be fun either. I haven’t had to do that since the BlackBerry heydays. Phones are larger now too. More to lose and have to keep up with.

I’m still deciding on what to do, but I’m curious for anyone who has the BYOD option, do you use one cell phone or two? If it was your choice at work, what would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 08:45 AM

5,046 posts, read 2,754,128 times
A professional company provides its own devices to their workers for free. I worked for crazy IT companies but even they provided me with everything that I needed for after hours contact and support. I had a laptop and phone, free of charge. My last IT company was very sensitive to security issues and didn't want any information on personal devices outside the company's control. That makes a lot of sense. It sounds like your company doesn't know what it is doing, is just too cheap to supply their own devices, or deliberately trying to blur the line between work and personal time in the hope that the employees will be working more during off hours.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:00 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,601,589 times
I use two phones. My company use to issue phones but doesn't any more. It's all BYOD now. They pay for the service and give me a certain amount towards a phone every two years. So why not get two if they are footing the bill for everything? You will be in the same spot financially since you will still only be paying for your persona line. It's a bit annoying to carry two phones but it's not too bad.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:25 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,518,324 times
You could get an inexpensive prepaid phone on a service such as total wireless, I bought an iPhone SE new last year for $99 for my wife and I. The service runs on Verizon towers and it's good.

Alternatively you can get a google voice number and give that out as your primary contact number. This would prevent your number from getting out there.

Personally I would never use a personal phone on a business line. The company exercises too much control over it.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:49 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,598,683 times
i prefer byod. 1 device to keep charged, worry about losing, ...
android/aosp allows for multiple profiles/users on the same device. so you can have your work email/webex/vpn/... on one profile; then, your nfsw stuff on another.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:56 PM

8,093 posts, read 10,126,803 times
As you move into the professional job force, your personal and professional lives merge. IF you are a 24/7 person, and can be compensated accordingly, then you must be reachable 24/7.

One phone. Who wants to be dragging around two devices? The company pays the bill every month when you submit your expenses, or it is billed directly to the firm.

It's part of growing up. If you don't want to be available to the firm or to customers, don't pursue that sort of career.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:07 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,726,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
As you move into the professional job force, your personal and professional lives merge. IF you are a 24/7 person, and can be compensated accordingly, then you must be reachable 24/7.

One phone. Who wants to be dragging around two devices? The company pays the bill every month when you submit your expenses, or it is billed directly to the firm.

It's part of growing up. If you don't want to be available to the firm or to customers, don't pursue that sort of career.
What does that have to do with having two devices? You can be just as available with two devices; however, there is less of a concern if you leave the company about what happens with access to company information if you have two devices. My sister works for a big tech firm and she has one company phone and her own phone. There is no issue.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:43 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,596,127 times
I actually get around this by using an old school pager for work and my personal cell (blocking the number) to call back on. My work permits this setup. I have had two phones in the past as well and I still prefer that to one. I don’t use my personal device for work business unless it’s at my convenience.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
A professional company provides its own devices to their workers for free. I worked for crazy IT companies but even they provided me with everything that I needed for after hours contact and support. I had a laptop and phone, free of charge. My last IT company was very sensitive to security issues and didn't want any information on personal devices outside the company's control. That makes a lot of sense. It sounds like your company doesn't know what it is doing, is just too cheap to supply their own devices, or deliberately trying to blur the line between work and personal time in the hope that the employees will be working more during off hours.
A company providing cell phones for their traveling staff was my assumption as well. Without giving too much away, this is a very Big IT Consulting company. You would know the name as soon as I typed it. At one point company phones were issued, but that is now no longer the case. Another result of cost cutting measures over the years, I guess. Blurring the lines of work and home may or may not have been the company’s objective at one point, but it is for sure to the company’s benefit.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I use two phones. My company use to issue phones but doesn't any more. It's all BYOD now. They pay for the service and give me a certain amount towards a phone every two years. So why not get two if they are footing the bill for everything? You will be in the same spot financially since you will still only be paying for your persona line. It's a bit annoying to carry two phones but it's not too bad.
Hmmm, I wonder if I could ask for something towards a new device every two years. As it stands now, I wouldn’t get anything for getting the second phone, at least according to HR. I have yet to have this conversation with my manager.

Thanks for the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment