Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 08:45 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,060,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
We are not talking about basket weaving degrees, we are talking about top tier engineering programs which still have integrety. So this does not really apply.

Also people only like the "life is not fair mantra" when life is being unfair to the other guy. Look at all the whining on 9/11, the investment bankers and their families lost big time in that attack and they convinced the US military to go on a witch hunt. But if some other guy looses his life savings from those very same bankers oh well lifes not fair. Seems alot of people dont like the turn about.

The USA insulates people from the leverage of violence which can be used quite effectivly in a non police state to turn about the "lifes not fair" mantra. Oh but thats a big no no, but using shrewed buisness practices to destitute someones family is a ok.
No no one lost there life savings. Families of 9/11 victims were compensated hugely which is one of the reasons why the TSA was created as part of the 'settlement'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 08:49 AM

5,687 posts, read 5,927,209 times
My oldest son has 2 degrees, and cant find a job. He doenst have the experience everyone is wanting. Employers here want at 1 year, and he was laid off of his old job with only 6 months in there.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:00 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,127,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
My oldest son has 2 degrees, and cant find a job. He doenst have the experience everyone is wanting. Employers here want at 1 year, and he was laid off of his old job with only 6 months in there.
Admittedly, this is a problem. I've seen many job postings that says entry level with x number of years of experience. I don't know why some companies even post those.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:32 AM

638 posts, read 531,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Two degrees? Master’s? He needs to relocate for work to get his resume going. Then he can live in his dream city or go back home.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:35 AM

638 posts, read 531,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Admittedly, this is a problem. I've seen many job postings that says entry level with x number of years of experience. I don't know why some companies even post those.
If they don’t exaggerate they will get people with even less experience. Apply and call HR and tell them how enthusiastic you are. “I don’t meet the full experience criteria but I do have experience and I am really interested in this job in particular. I would love to get even an informational interview with your company, as I am eager to work my way up.†Do this 20 times I’m at least 3 metro areas.

I didn’t get my start by sending out CVs and waiting for a callback. Call, call, call. Show them you won’t give up.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:42 AM

11,094 posts, read 6,691,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
There are many job openings that I am willing to do and excited to apply for however, my excitement frown when post ask for bilingual only.

Yes, this. Even for crap entry-level jobs.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:24 AM

204 posts, read 129,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
If they don’t exaggerate they will get people with even less experience. Apply and call HR and tell them how enthusiastic you are. “I don’t meet the full experience criteria but I do have experience and I am really interested in this job in particular. I would love to get even an informational interview with your company, as I am eager to work my way up.” Do this 20 times I’m at least 3 metro areas.

I didn’t get my start by sending out CVs and waiting for a callback. Call, call, call. Show them you won’t give up.
People really need to stop with this kind of stuff. Not only does this NOT work but you cannot get phone numbers to people that make hiring decisions anymore. You're lucky if you can even get an email. If you start harassing a company by contacting them nonstop - and yes, they DO consider it harassment, not being a "go getter" - your going to be labeled do not hire and might even get a C&D depending on how annoying you are about it. Just stop with this.

Last edited by Foggy HalfNelson; 10-23-2017 at 10:49 AM..

Old 10-23-2017, 10:40 AM

204 posts, read 129,733 times
Quote:
Simple. They post those so they can get a quality employee while not paying a good salary for that quality employee. Entry level pay for mid level employees.

Happens all the time in IT. I get contacts for those kinds of jobs frequently. Great right? Yeah, only if I want to do more work for less money. There's plenty of those jobs out there that they can't fill because people aren't stupid enough to take those jobs.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,699 posts, read 81,510,683 times
Quote:
We do it because we can get good experienced people and save a lot of time and money with new hires being able to become productive more quickly, it's good business. We also have a lot of paid internships to help people gain experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy HalfNelson View Post
People really need to stop with this kind of stuff. Not only does this does NOT work but you cannot get phone numbers to people that make hiring decisions anymore. You're lucky if you can even get an email. If you start harassing a company by contacting them nonstop - and yes, they DO consider it harassment, not being a "go getter" - your going to be labeled do not hire and might even get a C&D depending on how annoying you are about it. Just stop with this.
Yes, I agree. In my last opening in September we got 18 applicants and interviewed 4, the others did not meet the minimum qualifications (3 years exp., starting $26/hour). My current opening is available for another week, so far 10 applicants, only 3 meet the minimum requirements (2 years exp., starting about $24/hour). If any of these people called HR they would be told that our policy is to only consider people that meet the minimum requirements. As a hiring manager, someone might be able to get my name and number, but if they called I would not discuss it, but would refer them to the number at HR.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:53 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,289,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy HalfNelson View Post
People really need to stop with this kind of stuff. Not only does this NOT work but you cannot get phone numbers to people that make hiring decisions anymore. You're lucky if you can even get an email. If you start harassing a company by contacting them nonstop - and yes, they DO consider it harassment, not being a "go getter" - your going to be labeled do not hire and might even get a C&D depending on how annoying you are about it. Just stop with this.
Thank you.

We must treat all applicants the same (civil service), so hiring managers are not allowed to even consider an unsolicited resume - everyone must apply the same way (online). We even have computers set up in our HR department so that applicants without a computer can use them.

This is not 1990 - the outdated advice is hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment