Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 06:20 PM

204 posts, read 129,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I have been in IT field for over 20 years and never had an issue finding work lots of jobs out there. IT and technology is what we see everyday in someones hand while driving down the road when you choose a career have to look at the big picture. Employers are being driven toward technology as factory jobs will be replaced with automation the worker who used to work in that factory will be replaced with a high tech worker keep the automation going. At my company Help desk makes about 27-35 an hour PC field techs make about 28-32 an hour data center folks like support servers, and network gear start mid 70's go up to 100k. Network Engineering, software Engineering they start in the 80's go up over 100 system architects are way up there. I work for a electric utility with about 8000 employees. One of the hottest new IT fields now is Amazon (AWS Certs) this is the service Amazon provides internet cloud for many large. https://aws.amazon.com/certification/
To be fair, it also depends on what you do and where you are doing it. IT is a field with ever diminishing returns. What I mean by that is that as technology advances, there's less need for the IT professional. Take assembly line automation. As the computers get more powerful and the machines get smarter they're going to need LESS people to oversee them. Not more. IT departments are shrinking, not expanding. I would not go into IT as a career field going forward, I'd get some type of Engineering degree. Being the person who can design and build those machines is the future. That's a far cry from what IT used to be during it's heyday. As for that cert... look at how many certs have come and gone over the years. How much of that stuff is not used today the way it used to be. IT is good if you can specialize, but once that specialty is no longer needed you damn sure better have a backup plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 07:11 PM

17,318 posts, read 12,274,817 times
Yeah, you definitely want to be in a position that adds value. If you're doing the software/hardware development you're fairly secure and well paid. But if you're in an infrastructure/support role like sys ops and the company decides to dump all their local servers and move everything to cloud providers your entire department can just disappear.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:07 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,339,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy HalfNelson View Post
To be fair, it also depends on what you do and where you are doing it. IT is a field with ever diminishing returns. What I mean by that is that as technology advances, there's less need for the IT professional. Take assembly line automation. As the computers get more powerful and the machines get smarter they're going to need LESS people to oversee them. Not more. IT departments are shrinking, not expanding. I would not go into IT as a career field going forward, I'd get some type of Engineering degree. Being the person who can design and build those machines is the future. That's a far cry from what IT used to be during it's heyday. As for that cert... look at how many certs have come and gone over the years. How much of that stuff is not used today the way it used to be. IT is good if you can specialize, but once that specialty is no longer needed you damn sure better have a backup plan.
That was never my experience, or many of the people I have met over the years but most of those years I spent in support side of things. I don't know what your background was at my company we have way more work then we can handle and we have a difficult time finding people who are qualified. What I have seen is more demand for IT professionals cyber security and how government regulation applies to it is one big field in demand. IT is going to change over the years people who maintained older technology get upset when it goes away they don't want to change get laid off or outsourced to other countries.

Sitting back and complaining about not finding good employment lot of replies agreeing isn't going to change anything for those people life is ever changing and you have change with it.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:42 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,282,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
Common sense disguised as groundbreaking information to you or maybe everyone on this thread, but I can't tell you how many people I deal with in a week that don't follow these simple things.

But to your question, include a cover letter which explains why you want to relocate, how quickly you can relocate, your availability to interview. If you will be in the area in the near future, include that as well. Make sure open to relocation is evident on your resume. If you don't tell your story, and availability, you will get passed over.
Why is 'the story' any of your business?

I can see explaining availability, but the rest? What difference does it make? And you didn't actually answer the question.
If a person is relocating because there are no suitable jobs available where they are, how do they phrase that in such a way to get an interview?

Old 10-23-2017, 10:04 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,607,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
I think there's a lot of low-wage crap jobs out there, but good salaried jobs where you can make a living and have a halfway decent life? No, unfortunately not.

I know people with experience and degrees who got laid off back during the big recession and they haven't found anything comparable since. They've taken survival gigs in the meantime, but to me, it shouldn't be that hard if there's really as much out there as the job reports are claiming.

Also, where I live in the Southwest you can forget most customer service jobs unless you're bilingual.

I think this is largely true. It also applies when people say "unemployment is at its lowest since x". Sure but what jobs are the previously unemployed people taking? Is the 8-10$ an hour temp, part time work or are they getting something full time, something with decent pay, and something that he/she can build a life around? More than likely it's the former. So yes working at Stop and Shop or Staples gets you out of the unemployment column but are you really getting ahead on the Stop and Shop salary?

Old 10-23-2017, 11:54 PM

204 posts, read 129,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
That was never my experience, or many of the people I have met over the years but most of those years I spent in support side of things. I don't know what your background was at my company we have way more work then we can handle and we have a difficult time finding people who are qualified. What I have seen is more demand for IT professionals cyber security and how government regulation applies to it is one big field in demand. IT is going to change over the years people who maintained older technology get upset when it goes away they don't want to change get laid off or outsourced to other countries.

Sitting back and complaining about not finding good employment lot of replies agreeing isn't going to change anything for those people life is ever changing and you have change with it.
What on earth are you rambling about? I didn't say anything about you or where you work. If you want to think everything is hunky-dory in the IT field then go ahead. It's your prerogative. I did say that, as with any job, it depends on what you do and where you do it. Places aren't hiring entire departments for cyber security because they don't need that kind of man power for it. What they used to hire entire teams of people to do they can get away with a few specialized individuals today because the technology is better. That was my point. Unclench.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:43 AM

266 posts, read 245,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Why is 'the story' any of your business?

I can see explaining availability, but the rest? What difference does it make? And you didn't actually answer the question.
If a person is relocating because there are no suitable jobs available where they are, how do they phrase that in such a way to get an interview?
I'm not sure why your irritated at my response. I am just saying a recruiter gets dozens to hundreds of applications for each job. If you are out of state, a cover letter explaining your interest is the only way they will stop and review your resume.

I wouldn't expect to read I hate my job in CT or I can't find any employment so I want to get the heck out of here.

As simple as due to a restructure at my current position, I am looking to relocate to North Carolina. Your position aligns with my skills and background...etc etc, otherwise the recruiter thinks someone is sitting in CT for example applying to any and every position in the United States. That may be exactly what someone is doing, but the cover letter should be more personalized. Sell yourself! Google is your friend if someone is unsure how to start.

I'm not looking to argue, if your out of state, and want to be recognized by a recruiter, they have to understand why this job, why this state, and what is your availability for interviews, and start dates. You have to work harder then the rest of the applicants.

If this what you are going through, I understand your frustration. My comments were only meant to help from an employers point of view.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:31 AM

901 posts, read 748,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah, you definitely want to be in a position that adds value. If you're doing the software/hardware development you're fairly secure and well paid. But if you're in an infrastructure/support role like sys ops and the company decides to dump all their local servers and move everything to cloud providers your entire department can just disappear.
Nope. The infrastructure still needs administered by someone. The cloud provider ONLY provides the hardware, they don't take over the administration and configuration of it for your company. The cloud is just someone else's server. There is a reason they have certification tracks for system administration for AWS, Azure etc.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:33 AM

901 posts, read 748,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy HalfNelson View Post
What on earth are you rambling about? I didn't say anything about you or where you work. If you want to think everything is hunky-dory in the IT field then go ahead. It's your prerogative. I did say that, as with any job, it depends on what you do and where you do it. Places aren't hiring entire departments for cyber security because they don't need that kind of man power for it. What they used to hire entire teams of people to do they can get away with a few specialized individuals today because the technology is better. That was my point. Unclench.
It is hunky dory in the IT field. The field is always growing and evolving. Get off the Internet and get out in the world.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:35 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,122,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
If one is single and without much debt, it IS possible to survive on minimum wage without living in one's car if one is willing to make compromises (like having a roommate and walking, bicycling or taking the bus). Granted, that is NOT the best or most fun way to live, but I think it is better than being on welfare or living with your parents if you are young. I did it when I was young, and I know many others who did it, too.

However, granted, it is a different matter if some has a mountain of debt and/or a family to support!

Once again, in my experience, at least 95% of the time it all comes down to the choices one makes in life.

(I just think it is a shame that most of the important choices one makes in life must be made before many people -- if not most! -- have sufficient experience or maturity to make them!)
No it’s not, it’s idiotic. Why would you rent some slimy apt with a questionable roommate when you can live at home and save money to actually get ahead with.

Walking to bus stops in the freezing cold or 100 deg heat is crap and completely unacceptable, also you have a bette chance of getting married if you are saving money and have a car.

Do people really believe this stuff? I did this for like a couple weeks and said f this and that was that. I don’t care what my circumstances are I won’t live in some dirty apt with a wierdo, I can figure something else out lol

I will put up with the weather when the USA becomes a war zone and we are fighting the rothschilds/Illuminati until then I’m going to have heat/ac. Until I’m actively engaging the fat hogs wrecking our nation with bullets backed by a military coup, I have no reason to tolerate the elements
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment