Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 08:09 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times

Advertisements

I need to vent so here it goes:

I am in this situation now. It's a minimum waged job that I have been doing for the last 4 years. I am 46 years old. I took the job because at the time when I was laid off from a job as an assistant to an insurance broker the market was soft and I couldn't get a job. The job I am currently in was great up until a month ago. It's a franchise and one of the stores closed in September due to lack of business. I am at their other location and everyone is young enough to be one of my kids with the exception of the owners daughter who's 10 years younger than me and is the manager. I was manager at their other location but have since been demoted because they already have someone else to open and run the store till I come on shift. I feel as if I am pushed aside and every little thing I do is either wrong or not done properly. it's getting to the point where my co-workers are texting the manager anything I do that they think is incorrect or not to their approval. No one has balls to say things to my face it seems. it's all done in text. I told my the manager who I felt very close too up until recently to stop texting me on my time off and that it's my personal time. If she has issues with me to talk to me face to face. Well she is coming in at 12 to speak to me. I have had it!!!! My husband agrees with me. If I quit I won't receive unemployment but if they fire me at least I have something. I have decided to get back into the insurance business and I had one interview last week and another this Tuesday. I have been sending out my resume on Indeed for the last 2 weeks. I also don't get paid time off or health benefits. I was good at my job, I had a great reputation with my customers at the other location, I was well liked by the community. They loved coming there because of me. The manager has decided she'll write me up from now on, let her!!! I always do my best no matter what job I have had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 09:14 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
That sounds awful. I can sympathize.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:19 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,876 times
Sounds awful. I've hated a job pretty badly, too and it was due to poor treatment by upper management. I was a very hard worker and tried so hard to whatever she needed/wanted. Never had ANY issues with previous management and was actually about to get my own store. In the end it wasn't worth what it was doing to me mentally. It was time to move on, so I found a job and quit.
Good luck! Get out there and find something that won't make you miserable each day

Old 10-19-2017, 09:26 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
Been there, too. Make them fire you. Then, just don't put it down on your resume. Just tell employers you took time off for awhile and thought you'd enjoy just being a home-maker, but you miss work.

It still won't be fun going to work or letting them belittle you, but if you think of it as a "plan" it will be easier, especially since your hubby is on your side.

In the meantime, don't give them any legitimate reasons to fire you. Instead of telling them not to text you, just say you never got the text. How can they prove you did? In the meantime, just keep agreeing to do what they want, but just never quite making the grade, until they finally fire you :-)

They're obviously trying to make you quit, so just be better at the game and remember that's exactly what it is. They want you gone and don't want to pay higher unemployment premiums by laying you off or firing you.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:28 AM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Nope, because I know being fired is never a good option to be in. I don't like explaining why I was let go (and no, there are no rules against employers being upfront about why you were fired).

I stuck at the job until I found another one and then quit. Pride and hasty behavior doesn't pay the bills.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:10 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,686,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Instead of telling them not to text you, just say you never got the text. How can they prove you did? In the meantime, just keep agreeing to do what they want, but just never quite making the grade, until they finally fire you :-)

I think OP is in the right to tell them not to text her on her time off. She is an hourly worker and is only paid for the hours on the job. Are they going to pay her to read and reply to texts? I hardly think so.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Been there, too. Make them fire you. Then, just don't put it down on your resume. Just tell employers you took time off for awhile and thought you'd enjoy just being a home-maker, but you miss work.

It still won't be fun going to work or letting them belittle you, but if you think of it as a "plan" it will be easier, especially since your hubby is on your side.

In the meantime, don't give them any legitimate reasons to fire you. Instead of telling them not to text you, just say you never got the text. How can they prove you did? In the meantime, just keep agreeing to do what they want, but just never quite making the grade, until they finally fire you :-)

They're obviously trying to make you quit, so just be better at the game and remember that's exactly what it is. They want you gone and don't want to pay higher unemployment premiums by laying you off or firing you.
My husband said the same thing LOL. I actually had a face to face conversation with my boss's daughter who is manager over there. I made her have this meeting with me. I guess she thought I would cry my eyes out, say I am sorry please don't fire me I need this job. Boy was she shocked to learn otherwise. She did not like what I had to say but at the same time understood what I was saying. We both felt better airing our differences out but I am still looking to seek other employment. In the meantime I'll just go with the flow.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
I think OP is in the right to tell them not to text her on her time off. She is an hourly worker and is only paid for the hours on the job. Are they going to pay her to read and reply to texts? I hardly think so.
yeah the manager did not like me telling her that.. I also told her that it's a coward act to text someone you have an issue with. Speak to me directly I am an adult human being not some 18 year old that you can push around. BTW she's only there at night 4 days a week and her parents who own the store have other full time jobs so how can you own and run a store if your never there to supervise? You are basically just going off of other employees telling you what's going on. I told her don't believe everything you hear either. if you spent more time at the store you'd know what's going on.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:55 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,347,532 times
OP, I'd be careful about "lying by omission" ....leaving them off your resume/application and telling a potential employer you just wanted to take some time off. Four years? They're gonna find out where you worked.....credit report and other ways.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:58 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,487,606 times
I despise my employer but I do not want to get fired. I need the money. I look forward to e-mailing them the letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment