Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:59 AM
mcq mcq started this thread

337 posts, read 672,680 times

Advertisements

Scenario: You have been a model employee at your job for years, but you are ready to move on and have been for a while. You've attempted to move elsewhere in the company, but there really is no good fit. For some reason, you don't immediately have another job lined up despite many interviews with companies across the country. Perhaps you want to consult for a while or move to a different area (maybe both), so you plan to leave your job. Current company does not permit consulting on the side.

The unit I work for is essentially a zombie, very separate from the company's primary business. The service for this unit receives no investment, no upgrades, yet continues to barely function way beyond its lifetime because just enough long time customers stick around not knowing that superior services are available. I have wished for the service to have the plug pulled so that the company has to make a decision on me, but it has never happened. And to be honest, there would be headaches for them keeping the service going without me. Numerous bugs to work around and silly proprietary scripts that cannot be easily transferred. Looks like I either keep sticking it out hoping for a break in my search, or I resign and try to make my own way.

Have you ever wished you would be laid off for any reason? Resigning without another job is very risky. And you definitely don't want to be fired since that is a negative. Continuing to feed the zombie gets you nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 10:36 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Not really.

Laid off - or quit, you're still unemployed. Which makes you less employable. Sure, if laid off, you can get unemployment benefits. But depending on how much you make, the UIE max may be so far below your regular income, it's not really worth it (not to mention no health/retirement benefits).

In the end, I think a bad job is going to be better than no job (outside of a truly hostile/unhealthy environment) in the short term.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:47 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
if you can't get a break for a new job now, what makes you think you will get a break being on unemployment? if it was just time spent looking, you can do that while working as well

Old 06-16-2016, 10:49 AM

238 posts, read 315,532 times
Only if I'm married to someone very well off, or I have a huge inheritance.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:07 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
I'd keep looking unless forced to really go it alone.....Till then, keep backing up to the pay window and taking home $$$

Old 06-16-2016, 12:54 PM

828 posts, read 771,926 times
Around 20 years ago, our company had lost some contracts and they asked for volunteers to be laid off. I volunteered becase I HATED working in the space industry.

Vowed never to work in that industry again. Took 7 months to get a new job, but one of my better decisions

You suck NASA

Old 06-16-2016, 01:14 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
Every day.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:35 PM

79 posts, read 71,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Every day.
Ditto

I actually DID get laid off in 2010, right at the height of the unemployment crisis. Got 2 years of unemployment and managed to go back to school to get my associates degree in accounting. The only downfall was the large amount of debt I accumulated during that time, cuz NYS unemployment doesn't exactly cut it in the bills department.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:16 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Being laid off is a gift. My severance check bigger than the bonuses of people around me.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:32 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Being laid off is a gift. My severance check bigger than the bonuses of people around me.
In March 2001, I terminated employment with a company during a large layoff. The official reason for my termination was that my position was eliminated. However, I was planning on relocating in June anyway for my husband's career, a fact known only to my Director and VP. So, knowing this, they offered up my position as one of those to be eliminated and off I went with my 4 months worth of severance that compensated me for for the timeframe when we got married and moved to another state. When I got to my new location and looked for a job, I told people I had left my last position because I had relocated, which was true, and added that my position had been eliminated when I left (also true).

So, yes, sometimes these things can work to your advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment