Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:44 PM

23,492 posts, read 29,426,471 times

Advertisements

I was working for a big corporation that shrunk from 60,000 employees in 1980 to 24,000 in 1989.

When the rumor was flying around that they were going to eliminate severance packages, my hand went up for a volunteer to be laid off.

And? They kept me around for 2 more years!

I would say, when someone else was laid off: Why did you lay that person off, he was a much better worker than myself?

I began to come to work an hour late in the morning, leave an hour earlier at the end of the day, hoping they'd take notice and lay me off! And, finally, I got my wish! A severance package along with unemployment benefits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 12:42 AM

18 posts, read 38,930 times
I wouldn't mind getting laid off now since I'm eligible for over 8 months severance pay plus unemployment. I can surely find another, better job within that time.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:57 AM
mcq mcq started this thread

337 posts, read 676,095 times
Fascinating responses here. Exactly the types of experiences I was hoping for when I asked the question. I am not getting laid off, but I am at a point where I would almost welcome it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Yes, I had worked for a company for 8 years, felt stagnant and really just hated going in everyday. I wished for a layoff that never came. So I quit w/o another job lined up. Took a little break and jumped back into the job market when I got ready. However, if I had of waited the layoff I was hoping for came 2 to 3 years after I quit. I heard the packages were decent, albeit pretty standard. Lesson learned: I won't dedicate 8 years of my life to another company unless there's a career progression I can look forward to.Will I quit another job w/o having another lined up? Probably not. I blew threw my savings too fast while searching for a new job and it's going to take me awhile to build it back to what I had.
This is pretty close to where I'm at now. I have plans, but cannot bring myself to resign just yet. It gets harder to wait it out by the day.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:20 AM

5,873 posts, read 12,031,965 times
Every single day. I've been here 38 years and have survived more layoffs than most people will ever see in their lifetime. I told them I'd be happy to be on the list for the next round but no one else wants to do my job. I'm planning on retiring in 7 months anyway.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:52 AM

10,599 posts, read 18,023,093 times
Plenty of people have hoped for that. Some people spend years unemployment hopping.

I took two excellent voluntary RIF packages because both times I knew exactly what I was planning to do and accomplished it. And I was a corporate Product Manager so I understood how to create a business. Even if I didn't, the first one included 5 years pay. So ok fine.

But most small businesses fail the first year because people really don't understand what they're doing. Like a guy will "open a golf store" because he "loves golf". DEAD business in a year - money gone - broke. LOL

I suggest you honestly evaluate why you're in that position.

It's funny to me you call your division a zombie division but it's actually you who's performing a bunch of apparently niche functions by rote that don't transfer to other companies.

What have you done to make yourself more marketable and why do you think anyone is going to hire a "consultant" who has no record of marketable skills? It's not like there isn't a FLOOD of people with strong resumes in this market.

Now if you got a job offer from one of your company's customers that's another story and also risky but at least it's a tangible "plan".

You may wanna research the level of commitment required to be a consultant. If you're an Independent Contractor, you'll be spending WAY MORE TIME on just meeting government paperwork and building a BUSINESS than the 8 hours or whatever it is you spend now doing zombie tasks.

If you have that energy why aren't you using it on your own right now?

Are you aware that to even deduct mileage that you are required to actually record every single bit of your odometer readings every single day of your life and justify if it was for business or pleasure and exactly where you went?

THAT, my friend can take up to an hour per day and that's if you're lucky. (unless you want to screw it up and try to reconstruct it years later when you get audited). And don't think you're gonna use a mileage app because even if you're willing to use the cell data, they don't really work on their own and every entry has to be massaged and corrected. And it's really fun when it just doesn't work or messes up your whole day. So you're better off handcuffing a manual mileage log to your steering column.

OH and paying yourself as an employer and employee twice is fun, too. Say goodbye to about 40% of your gross right off the bat, then scrape around every day to come up with paperwork for deductions.

Better find out what an accountant/CPA will cost you because you will never master the IRS regs for a long time if ever.

People used to getting paychecks need a reality check.

So my suggestion, even though you didn't ask, is to at least get a job consulting for an agency who may do most of this for you if there is such a thing. Which I think you may have already done by now if there was a demand, good pay and it were possible, no?

Old 06-17-2016, 09:44 AM

511 posts, read 843,377 times
Yes, I was on FMLA and it was ending. My babies were in the NICU. Getting laid off so I could collect unemployment was one of the best things that could have happened for me and my new little family. I also hated my job and needed to move somewhere I could afford to raise my children so it was a win all around.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:00 AM

3,251 posts, read 3,585,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was working for a big corporation that shrunk from 60,000 employees in 1980 to 24,000 in 1989.

When the rumor was flying around that they were going to eliminate severance packages, my hand went up for a volunteer to be laid off.

And? They kept me around for 2 more years!

I would say, when someone else was laid off: Why did you lay that person off, he was a much better worker than myself?

I began to come to work an hour late in the morning, leave an hour earlier at the end of the day, hoping they'd take notice and lay me off! And, finally, I got my wish! A severance package along with unemployment benefits!
We are facing the same issue at my company where there is the threat that the severance package is reducing drastically in the coming years. People are trying to time their exits so they are guaranteed a healthy amount. It would be an ideal time to be laid off, especially if you have some control in when you actually go.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcq View Post
Have you ever wished you would be laid off for any reason?
Yup, when I was about to move overseas in my early 20s. I even volunteered to be laid off in three consecutive rounds and avoided the ax each time. It was kind of annoying actually.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:07 PM

7,782 posts, read 10,272,424 times
My wife did. Couple years ago when she was getting ready to move to FL once we got married, she pleaded with her boss to lay her off lol. But he said no. Would have been nice since we were starting our own business and could have used the severance to help out, and she thought they might be inclined since they had pretty much laid off half her department. But seeing as she was the manager, they said laying her off would have to be justified by the removal of that position, which they obviously had no intention of doing.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:00 PM

776 posts, read 958,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcq View Post
Have you ever wished you would be laid off for any reason? Resigning without another job is very risky. And you definitely don't want to be fired since that is a negative. Continuing to feed the zombie gets you nowhere.
Absolutely, and I got lucky that I got laid off IMO.

I was working for a financial company and was their most knowledgeable person in the department as well. I could literally do everything singlehandedly from start to finish, no one else on the team could say that.

However, I didn't have the most seniority, or the highest job title, or pay level. So, my teammates that outranked me just skated on by, never doing much work, while I got all the work dumped on me, and I had to handle it, day in, day out. So finally when layoffs were coming, I got laid off in the 3rd and last round, and I was happy to be let go, got a decent severance package, and skipped out the door.

The kicker was that my former teammates who had been skating on by, now had to pick up the slack from me being gone... and they couldn't! The company actually had to fly in a couple guys from another site to take over for me and teach the rest of the team how to do what I did. I also heard that my former boss got yelled at pretty good too by the Exec VP, for letting me go instead of the dead weight she kept on her team because they were friends.

At any rate, I got another job without too much trouble, and got 5 months salary as severance. Now I work a lot less, and make a lot more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment