Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 06:37 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,027,263 times

Advertisements

Once I had a job I hated so much, but knew I wouldn't get fired from because they never fired anyone, that I would hope to get hit by a car while walking to the bus stop so I could go on disability and miss a few weeks of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 11:30 AM

4,632 posts, read 3,507,735 times
Yes. I hate to say it because I feel if it happened I'd eventually regret it, but I'm in a dead-end job and want nothing more than to move on with my life.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:34 AM

1,098 posts, read 597,020 times
My previous job got to a point where I'd have been thrilled to be laid off, but I knew it wouldn't ever happen. As the company got smaller and smaller, I became the only person who knew how to do more and more things. They acted like they couldn't function without me. Stress was always high and I often felt like I'd have a nervous breakdown. I began to envy those who'd been let go. Thankfully, I eventually got hired somewhere else.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:23 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,161,198 times
Getting fired, not laid off, generally means you are NOT eligible for unemployment insurance. Particularly if the company wishes to fight it.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:36 PM

20,281 posts, read 9,769,114 times
I truly wonder what percentage of people now working feel the same way as the OP.

I work just part-time, but I would be willing to bet quite a bit of money that there are at least two people in our department of nine that just HOPE they get fired because they stand around all day and do NOTHING. (And, yes, one is an older employee who even admitted to me that he only took the job because he could not find a better-paying one in line with his experience.)

I will tell you, though, that these two employees absolutely disgust the rest of us.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:15 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,677,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I need to vent so here it goes:

I am in this situation now. It's a minimum waged job that I have been doing for the last 4 years. I am 46 years old. I took the job because at the time when I was laid off from a job as an assistant to an insurance broker the market was soft and I couldn't get a job. The job I am currently in was great up until a month ago. It's a franchise and on. . .They loved coming there because of me. The manager has decided she'll write me up from now on, let her!!! I always do my best no matter what job I have had.

Lubby, I am so sorry you are dealing with such a stressful and negative work environment. I hope you find something good in your field soon. Hopefully, you can get unemployment and that horrible job won't give you a negative reference (although I would check to make sure of what they say before using them). At least you spoke up for yourself rather than internalizing your feelings as that causes even more stress.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:19 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,366,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I need to vent so here it goes:

I am in this situation now. It's a minimum waged job that I have been doing for the last 4 years. I am 46 years old. I took the job because at the time when I was laid off from a job as an assistant to an insurance broker the market was soft and I couldn't get a job. The job I am currently in was great up until a month ago. It's a franchise and one of the stores closed in September due to lack of business. I am at their other location and everyone is young enough to be one of my kids with the exception of the owners daughter who's 10 years younger than me and is the manager. I was manager at their other location but have since been demoted because they already have someone else to open and run the store till I come on shift. I feel as if I am pushed aside and every little thing I do is either wrong or not done properly. it's getting to the point where my co-workers are texting the manager anything I do that they think is incorrect or not to their approval. No one has balls to say things to my face it seems. it's all done in text. I told my the manager who I felt very close too up until recently to stop texting me on my time off and that it's my personal time. If she has issues with me to talk to me face to face. Well she is coming in at 12 to speak to me. I have had it!!!! My husband agrees with me. If I quit I won't receive unemployment but if they fire me at least I have something. I have decided to get back into the insurance business and I had one interview last week and another this Tuesday. I have been sending out my resume on Indeed for the last 2 weeks. I also don't get paid time off or health benefits. I was good at my job, I had a great reputation with my customers at the other location, I was well liked by the community. They loved coming there because of me. The manager has decided she'll write me up from now on, let her!!! I always do my best no matter what job I have had.
I think you could probably find a better job. Supposedly unemployment is low, which would mean there are a lot of jobs. Forty-six is not old at all.

If employers want to know why you've been doing this job, tell them the truth. You can definitely find something better than what you're doing. Keep looking--it takes a little while to find a job. Two weeks is not long. And you don't want to be fired, because you cannot necessarily collect unemployment. Laid off, if anything.

Life is too short to be miserable.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:38 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Nope, because I know being fired is never a good option to be in. I don't like explaining why I was let go (and no, there are no rules against employers being upfront about why you were fired).
I would probably still be working at the old job if I had not been fired. But I took two weeks off, had one job interview, explained what happened, was hired, and have never been happier. I am making $300-$400 a week more than before and never have to work weekends. I feel sorry for the poor suckers still working at my previous employer.

Getting fired was one of the best things to ever happen to me.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:39 PM

7,651 posts, read 5,171,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I despise my employer but I do not want to get fired. I need the money. I look forward to e-mailing them the letter.
Why do you need the money?

Old 10-20-2017, 05:47 PM

19,276 posts, read 27,980,308 times
Oh yeah. Better off, if you get fired, non compete becomes invalid. Boomm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment