Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 07:34 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,133,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I only had one job that I hated to the point I sometimes wished that they would sack me.

I was an HR manager in a large unionized automotive supplier. Well, it wasn't union until the plant manager had transferred in from the company's other location. When the hourly employees saw what an azzhat he was, they got agitated and decided enough was enough...and presto, the UAW!

This plant manager made the place miserable to work with. He deliberately agitated the union which made my job difficult. He frequently got in my face (physically) and threatened to fire me. I constantly had to pull him back from threatening others and causing the darn union from going on strike during a particularly nasty negotiation--caused of course by this plant manager.

I generally don't let work bother me outside of working hours and even during work, I don't get stressed. This job was an exception and I constantly felt uneasy and on edge even outside of work hours. I dreaded going into work every day and dealing with the awful plant manager.

He had given me a "hit list" of people that he wanted me to fire. I refused to do it since none of them had done anything to justify me firing them. He got right into my face again and I stood my ground and told him calmly to "get the f*ck out of my face". It was just me and him in my office. He screamed and lost his mind because someone had stood up to him, lol.

I knew that I was done there so I typed up an email all about him and his "hit list" and saved it in my drafts. It detailed the unethical quality decisions he had made, his behavior towards others, and so on. It was addressed to everyone in the company, including the board of directors. When I saw him coming to my office with the VP of operations I knew he was coming to walk me out so I sent the email. I argued with them a bit to keep them distracted long enough so that the email would have a chance to be read by as many people as possible and took my time gathering my stuff up

On my way out, I loudly talked about the hit list again, naming names.

About 2 months after I was let go, the plant manager was transferred to another location and was fired when he got physical with a union steward.
Back in the rail road days they would have been at risk of simply being shot to death, we have a pampered employer class these days that hid behind the police state. You had to be a real man to be an employer back then, no police state to hide behind you had to back up your own aborant behavior and if you were not strong, knew how to fight and handle a weapon there was a good chance you might not come out of the west alive if you were a dick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 12:39 AM

270 posts, read 212,254 times
I was working in a pharmacy commuting with traffic of 1.5 hours away. Without traffic it was 30 mins. There were many times I had to slap myself to be awake behind the wheel or scream. Starting out as an internship and got hired directly after, I was very happy until work started to drain me. I got sick and gradually started to slack off by arriving late 3 hours, called in sick often beyond the sick policy limit....waiting for one day hope I get fired. When that doesn't work I resigned. I was still young so the thought of being fired was easier than writing letter.

Thinking back it wasn't the job that I hated, it was the commute. But because my health was so bad everything was annoying to me even myself.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:13 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,066,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I need to vent so here it goes:

I am in this situation now. It's a minimum waged job that I have been doing for the last 4 years. I am 46 years old. I took the job because at the time when I was laid off from a job as an assistant to an insurance broker the market was soft and I couldn't get a job. The job I am currently in was great up until a month ago. It's a franchise and one of the stores closed in September due to lack of business. I am at their other location and everyone is young enough to be one of my kids with the exception of the owners daughter who's 10 years younger than me and is the manager. I was manager at their other location but have since been demoted because they already have someone else to open and run the store till I come on shift. I feel as if I am pushed aside and every little thing I do is either wrong or not done properly. it's getting to the point where my co-workers are texting the manager anything I do that they think is incorrect or not to their approval. No one has balls to say things to my face it seems. it's all done in text. I told my the manager who I felt very close too up until recently to stop texting me on my time off and that it's my personal time. If she has issues with me to talk to me face to face. Well she is coming in at 12 to speak to me. I have had it!!!! My husband agrees with me. If I quit I won't receive unemployment but if they fire me at least I have something. I have decided to get back into the insurance business and I had one interview last week and another this Tuesday. I have been sending out my resume on Indeed for the last 2 weeks. I also don't get paid time off or health benefits. I was good at my job, I had a great reputation with my customers at the other location, I was well liked by the community. They loved coming there because of me. The manager has decided she'll write me up from now on, let her!!! I always do my best no matter what job I have had.
I see you live in Long Island. Unemployment is low there. Why not find another job closer and more to your liking?

Old 10-23-2017, 08:25 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 673,831 times
I never wanted to be fired, but did deep down hope to be laid off. It eventually happened. It wasn't an easy time, and I went down to the very end of my unemployment pay. I eventually got a new job and relocated out of state for it (at my own expense). I had been looking for a new position for quite some time and was prepared to move out of state. This is all much more challenging than expected when it becomes reality, but I feel much better off now.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:51 PM

20,975 posts, read 28,513,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I see you live in Long Island. Unemployment is low there. Why not find another job closer and more to your liking?
I have been looking. I have an interview tomorrow. As I stated things have gotten better and as someone else said I wouldn't do things to deliberately get fired. That's not my style or how I was brought up. My current job is only 15 minutes away. that's fairly close but the other store that closed was 5 minutes. I have experience in the insurance business and plan to try doing that again.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
That is really surprising that a jury would rule in favor of the employer, the only way I could see it is if this was a flegling small buisness with a hand full of employees. I cant imagine a jury rulling in favor of a medium to large buisness .. ever. I can gurentee at least half the juorers have been burned by at-will employment.
when my husband was fired from his last job in April he was told by the office manager that the boss will fight unemployment. He won 2 cases previously in his favor. My husband told his boss after he was fired that if he tried to fight unemployment he'd be sorry. Guess what my husband won!! Someone else said wait to be laid off and get severance?? Not in my job. They will never lay me off or give me a package. it's a minimum waged job in a franchise.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:43 PM

786 posts, read 516,324 times
Interesting thread. One of my bragging points, and I have several, is that I have never been fired from a job THAT I LIKED! I've been fired from more than one, but I didn't like any of the ones that fired me, so I consider it a trade-off. I worked my a$$ off for a any job I liked. On jobs I didn't like, I pointed out their flaws, failures, and mistakes with no apology.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:28 PM

Great news!!! I accepted another job offer. I will be starting November 30th I am giving my notice Friday and letting my current job know that my last day will be November 17th. I want some time off before my new job starts.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:50 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,479,205 times
Congrats! Very happy for you.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:15 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,461,013 times
lubby, that's WONDERFUL news! Congrats!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment