Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:59 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,247,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I can't imagine working for a company that refuses to provide at minimum a lunch break...
If the decibel level in your workplace exceeds 90db in an 8hr period you have a right to wear hearing protection per OSHA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
How in the world do they not allow a lunch break? Isn't that federal law?
I doubt the sound level is that high, it sounds more like OP has a very low threshold on the noise level they can tolerate but that while annoying, these are typical office level noises, not industrial level ear-damaging.

But I do agree that not providing a lunch break is a red flag to me. There's no federal law requiring it, and only a handful of states mandate one (and that's all ridiculous but a subject for a different thread). I would just say that a company that does not value their employees enough to include a scheduled lunch break is not an employee I'd want to work for. And I say that as someone who typically eats at my desk most days. But that's by choice and when I want to take a break, I am free to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 12:10 PM

404 posts, read 193,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
Following a recommendation by someone in my network, a phone and then video interview, I was offered a job in late July after being told I was actually being considered for two positions. One was a sales position in which I have less experience and another was in operations where I have education that better prepares me for it.

Remembering the operations manager boasting how he designed the new work space himself with an open plan layout (hard floor, no cubicles, just one big open room with a bunch of computers), I asked to visit their facility before accepting the position. I was tired from traveling long distance (8 hour drive, unfamiliar bed, stress) and I was more affected by the noise than I normally am. I noticed people yelling across the room, the phones ringing, people laughing loudly..in short, it was hard to concentrate during my visit. I brought up my concerns with HR and the manager after my visit (they asked for my decision) and then convinced them to grant a second visit.

I visited about about 2.5 weeks later for a shorter visit and after discussing some contract details with the manager, foolishly signed. Foolishly because I realized within 15 minutes later (after sitting in the work space again to listen to the typical sounds to be expected), that it was a mistake. But because I had told my parents and family I was seriously looking at this job, I took it after all to get them to stop complaining and bashing me. I should have moved out and simply rejected the job offer if I had concerns about something that would surely bother me.

Today was my first day in the operations position. I was also tired, cold, it was a 8.5 hour shift without a lunch break (they're not required by law to provide breaks, so they don't - the only "breaks" you're expected to take are brief toilet breaks and otherwise you can take 2 minutes to get your boxed lunch from the fridge and you're expected to eat at your desk. If I sleep better and eat a big breakfast tomorrow, plus bring a hearty lunch, I can get over that. The big problem that I failed to realize during my visits is that there's a door that slams against the frame every time it swings closed to enter the work area. There's a fair bit of foot traffic such that you can hear the BANG! BANG! noises several times an hour. It's like an old heavy screen door that bangs against a metal frame as it flaps in the wind. It was so distracting that it made me flinch a few times and definitely breaks my concentration. I also noticed people yell at each other across the room. It was so difficult to concentrate today that I struggled with the training and it makes me sincerely regret accepting the company's offer for the operations position. Now I realize one reason they were hiring for 4 positions. I don't know what to do at this point - the manager forbids the use of earplugs (I brought it up) and got defensive when he told me external people have suggested he take measures to reduce the noise- again, he refused).

The way I see it, I have a few options:
  • Quit with less than 2 weeks notice, possibly as little as a week which would make me available to visit/interview at other companies I applied to (I have 2 back ups I'm awaiting a reply from)
  • Contact HR about the sales position - find out if it's in a quieter part of the building, ask about the travel component and whether I could qualify for an internal transfer, and if so, after how much time?
  • Try to tough it out - but I know that long term I'll hate it, especially with the ridiculously loud banging door and management who fails to address it
TL;DR

After hesitating for weeks on whether to accept job offer or reject it due to unfavorable working conditions, I accepted it after visiting the company twice. Today was my first day. It was terrible, there's an awful banging noise heard several times an hour that distracts me and that the manager won't do anything about. I took this job to please my family, not myself. Another company wants to interview me in person during weekday business hours because it will be HR + the general manager. I can't make it; I'm stuck with current employer that's located very far away (several hours by car). They won't do Skype interview but I want out of current job asap. What should I do?
Ok, so here is the ouch moment for you. You go to a new job and immediately find something to dislike, this time is the banging noise , did you speak to a mgr or maintenance supervisor about your concern?. I have heard how being flexible and above all else adaptive in the work environment make life a heck of alot easier for all concerned. This could be the same scenario wherever you end up : getting irritated by the smallest thing and thrown off your game in the process.

There is no such thing as a perfect work environment. The grass is for sure not greener on the other side

Old 08-29-2017, 12:15 PM

16,557 posts, read 19,738,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciroccot View Post
, did you speak to a mgr or maintenance supervisor about your concern?.
First off you quote his post as if we wouldn't be able to tell who you were talking about. But then you apparently didn't read it? I mean... you had to read some of it? This is so odd to me.

"the manager forbids the use of earplugs (I brought it up) and got defensive when he told me external people have suggested he take measures to reduce the noise- again, he refused)."

OP: I'm curious how old you are. Guessing... early 20's?

Old 08-29-2017, 12:25 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,478,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
First off you quote his post as if we wouldn't be able to tell who you were talking about. But then you apparently didn't read it? I mean... you had to read some of it? This is so odd to me.

"the manager forbids the use of earplugs (I brought it up) and got defensive when he told me external people have suggested he take measures to reduce the noise- again, he refused)."

What's OP's age have to do anything? I think people like to bring up age as if it's a surefire sign of the quality of person or employee, but it's clearly not. There are petulant, old people who complain about work-related things all the time. No age group has the complaint market cornered.

Though I don't know enough about OP's situation, the noise issue could be an issue depending on the type of work he or she is doing. I work in an office with a lot of chatty women and often times put in sound-cancelling ear buds with white noise playing. I do a lot of detail oriented work, and need to focus. If I heard a door slamming every so often, I'd be irked as well. The fact that OP isn't allowed to take lunch is another issue altogether. I agree with some of the others. I'd be looking for another job. This one sounds awful, and that's with consideration that no job environment is perfect. That's correct, but the bar set at this place is set pretty low.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:29 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,160,219 times
"The manager forbids the use of earplugs." Uh...WTF? I've been wearing them in open offices in Tech for literally decades, on and off, and at client sites. They have never, not once, inhibited communications with others for more than five seconds at a stretch. If I'm obviously really busy and you need me, send an IM if I'm heads down with earplugs in. Works great, I buy a case of Howard Leight roughly every 2-3 years on Amazon. Roll in, pop out, reusable for a day or two.

Next is Bose Quiet Comfort. Very obvious, aren't they? Loudly tell boss you can't work with the distraction if jammed on. Why exactly...not sort-of, not kind-of...will they not allow you to wear earplugs or muffs, exactly? I've run teams of 2-3 to twenty-five in a room, depending on size of project, and been part of same as an IC, and never...not once...was such a stupid thing said to me. I explain the etiquette to each person (direct) once, they all get it. My managers get it, too, and tolerate the (slightly) quirky behavior because I get things done.

Option 4: go to doctor, angling for diagnoses as being on Autism Spectrum formerly known as Asperger's. Aspies can't deal with loud, banging noises and similar aural distractions, they tell me. Might explain my preoccupation with the subject, too (I am not formally diagnosed, but if the shoe fits...)

After that, you've got them by the short hairs: give you any problems, go behind closed doors with boss and HR and politely and firmly trot out diagnoses, asking for what is an << Objectively reasonable and minor accommodation to your condition, based on Americans with Disabilities Act (note: "if applicable") >>

Problem solved. They can just shove off and make a small accommodation for you. I've had employees do that to me for decades, and it's easier to accommodate them (mostly) since it doesn't affect the team or their productivity, usually. Occasional BS, but I deal with that case-by-case.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:34 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,783,255 times
It is easy to stop the slamming door sound. Use stick on bumpers, which can be rubber or felt. Simply put them on the surface the door slams against. Get them at places like home depot, your local hardware store, etc. 2 or 3 pads on the frame, and there is no more door slamming sound.

Here is an example of some of the smallest ones.

https://www.isolateit.com/small-clea...e-bumpers.html

If the slamming door drives you crazy and makes you want to quit the job, just eliminate the problem. We have one door in our home, that I put some on for that reason.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:19 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,750,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciroccot View Post
Ok, so here is the ouch moment for you. You go to a new job and immediately find something to dislike, this time is the banging noise , did you speak to a mgr or maintenance supervisor about your concern?. I have heard how being flexible and above all else adaptive in the work environment make life a heck of alot easier for all concerned. This could be the same scenario wherever you end up : getting irritated by the smallest thing and thrown off your game in the process.

There is no such thing as a perfect work environment. The grass is for sure not greener on the other side

Agreed! To me it sounds like excuses!

Old 08-29-2017, 03:19 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,203,897 times
Before you quit, make several sound recordings of your work day. Especially of the banging noises. Document your issues.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:46 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,889,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Before you quit, make several sound recordings of your work day. Especially of the banging noises. Document your issues.
Ummm... Why?

Old 08-29-2017, 04:17 PM

404 posts, read 193,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Truly, maybe you should refrain from the assumptions and stop trying to answer your own questions as you have just done now. Keep an open mind as who knows the OP might be even late 20's or even 30's. What does age even have to do with anything?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment