Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 08:45 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,812,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Sedona,

I am talking from the point of view of a hiring manager. Over the years I have hired hundreds of people.

Hiring gets n the way of my normal job. I have things to do, people to supervise, and projects to close out. That workload doesn't change if I am short a person or in the middle of interviews. I certainly want to hire the best person for the job, but I a
So want to get it over and done with.

As a hiring manager, I have an applicant (you) who might be ok for the job. I won't know for sure until after I have hired, so for the entire hiring process I view all applicants fairly neutrally. All I know about you is that you meet minimum qualifications and I cannot get an interview scheduled. I won't rule you out as long as you don't take up too much of my time with special requests, but I am not going to wait for you to get your life in order either. The minute I find an acceptable candidate I am hiring that person and sending you a rejection email.

Shorter version, as a hiring manager I don't care what your issues are. If you make it difficult for me to hire you, I won't.
This.^^^^^^

I too have been a hiring manager. I learned the hard way that employees that start off high maintenance stay that way. Special exceptions, favors, breaks, it never ends. Eventually you tire of always accommodating them. Usually they quit on their own.

Stop making excuses and fix your problems.

Doesn't the car dealer have a night drop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 09:42 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,621,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
I get what you're saying but did you even bother reading the thread? The dealership is only open from 8am-5pm and is located 1.5 hrs away. If I worked until 4 or 4:30 pm, how do I get to the service department on time? Yes I know they have a rental car, they typically call it a courtesy car, either included in the service or else for a nominal charge. Yes I could rent from a rental company but that would cost at least $40/day, maybe more + insurance unless I decline it due to my credit card coverage. When you live in a small town, everything closes early. The manager changed my work schedule on my first day and it contradicts what my contract says. Before I would have had about 45 mins after work to drive to a couple of garages, now I have less than 15 mins. Hard to get things done when you have no lunch break, in fact no breaks at all.

Sure the company doesn't have to grant time off to fix the car but if they want an employee to come on time and continue to do so reliably, wouldn't it makes sense to allow them to get their transportation situation fixed? It would be in the manager's best interest to allow some flexibility, otherwise he'll continue to drive new employees away just like the woman who held my position before me. She apparently only lasted 6 weeks, leaving the company high and dry after they had invested all that time into training her.
In the end it doesn't matter. It's up to you to figure it out.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:47 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,103,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If you were sick and called out your first week? I would have fired you immediately. You don't have sick time. you have worked there a week.
Don't most jobs start you with xx amount of sick leave? I thought that was pretty standard, as people can't control illnesses... and while it would be terrible timing, what if they legitimately had the FLU (or something like that) within a week of starting? I'd rather have them call in, then come to work and get everyone else sick.

Aside from that, I agree the OP needs to figure out their own transportation issues. My old car broke down on the way to work (couple years ago), and I had it towed TO WORK partly for the "free" ride - then got a ride home from a co-worker, and took Uber to my sister's workplace the next day to borrow her extra car. Ended up selling my car, and buying the one my sister lent me, but that's irrelevant. Point being, I found a way to get to & from work despite an unexpected car situation.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:25 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,498,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Don't most jobs start you with xx amount of sick leave? I thought that was pretty standard, as people can't control illnesses... and while it would be terrible timing, what if they legitimately had the FLU (or something like that) within a week of starting? I'd rather have them call in, then come to work and get everyone else sick.

Aside from that, I agree the OP needs to figure out their own transportation issues. My old car broke down on the way to work (couple years ago), and I had it towed TO WORK partly for the "free" ride - then got a ride home from a co-worker, and took Uber to my sister's workplace the next day to borrow her extra car. Ended up selling my car, and buying the one my sister lent me, but that's irrelevant. Point being, I found a way to get to & from work despite an unexpected car situation.
I guess it varies per company, region, and workplace culture.
If it's a job where they can easily find others to take their place, then I'd imagine they could afford to do so. OTOH, if it's a job that requires professional skills, experience, degrees, certifications, background checks, and/or moving to an undesirable area, then really, the ball's more so in the employee's court, as finding, a replacement would be far worse than putting up with someone who happened to get sick.

I've had a job where someone who started years before me got sick ASAP. We do NOT have sick days. Just PTO/vacation time, of which that does start off at 0. She ended up getting an exemption, and the company let her go into negative PTO. I'm assuming she worked her balance back to 0 and all was fine. I'm also assuming that if she left the company with a negative PTO, she'd be on the hook to pay that back, just like how we get paid unused PTO if we left the company.

In another case, some guy went on his honeymoon 1 week into the job! They planned this well over a year ahead of time. Then he got laid off, but managed to find that current job. Another agreement was worked out there as well.

Both of these are software coding positions, so they didn't need people's butts in chairs the full 40 hours per week. Management works delays like this into their delivery schedules.

As for work issues, I've had jobs where they've been surprisingly flexible about that, citing if you need to get something done (apartment sprung a leak, your spouse is in the hospital, your kid acted out in school, your car's broken, etc.), then go get it resolved. If you don't, you're going to be thinking about this while on the job, and you're not going to get much work done anyways. On the flipside, if you show up after 8am.. it's unheard of. You're worse than Hitler seems to be the line of thought there. Not much you can do about this. The people who cut your paychecks make these decisions. Just like how if you want to get paid more, and have a better job, then go look for better work.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:47 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,466,939 times
Quote:
-SNIP-

However all kinds of personal information was requested including SSN, DOB and driver's license number. I understand SSN and DOB are necessary but what business is it of theirs to get our driver's license number? This role does not involve any driving.

-SNIP-

sedonaverde, yes it absolutely is required. Your I-9 (certification of eligibility to work in the US) MUST have it. It's the law. If you don't have a DL, they want the number of the ID card issued by the state.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:18 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,694,661 times
Quote:
I get what you're saying but did you even bother reading the thread? The dealership is only open from 8am-5pm and is located 1.5 hrs away. If I worked until 4 or 4:30 pm, how do I get to the service department on time? Yes I know they have a rental car, they typically call it a courtesy car, either included in the service or else for a nominal charge. Yes I could rent from a rental company but that would cost at least $40/day, maybe more + insurance unless I decline it due to my credit card coverage. When you live in a small town, everything closes early. The manager changed my work schedule on my first day and it contradicts what my contract says. Before I would have had about 45 mins after work to drive to a couple of garages, now I have less than 15 mins. Hard to get things done when you have no lunch break, in fact no breaks at all.

Sure the company doesn't have to grant time off to fix the car but if they want an employee to come on time and continue to do so reliably, wouldn't it makes sense to allow them to get their transportation situation fixed? It would be in the manager's best interest to allow some flexibility, otherwise he'll continue to drive new employees away just like the woman who held my position before me. She apparently only lasted 6 weeks, leaving the company high and dry after they had invested all that time into training her.
Obviously I read the thread. How else would I have known about your car issues?

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and pay for a rental car. It's called being an adult. You go really early and drop it off or do it on a weekend. I live in a town with 3500 people so I get living in a small town. Living here means some things are inconvenient and you have to learn to adapt. You don't always get your way in life. All this nonsense is over a car! Oh and the fact that you ea Skype an interview but you have a job.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:22 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,694,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Most jobs? No. Some jobs? Yes. It depends on the company and the job. When I worked in HR only the executives received sick and vacation days immediately upon hiring. Everyone else accumulated them. It also looks REALLY bad when you ask for a sick day the first few weeks especially when you don't appear to be sick. High maintenance employees never last.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:30 PM

359 posts, read 303,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Oh and the fact that you ea Skype an interview but you have a job.
^^ ss20ts what do you mean "that you ea Skype an interview..."?

Still working for the same employer. Have been on time since the manager flipped out about the 10 minute tardiness one time and the day off request (day off was never granted) early on.
The banging door is still a problem. Everyday I find myself clock watching and it's tough to get through a shift but somehow I get through it and come back the next morning. First big paycheck will be the end of this month, I want to stay until that money hits my account plus at least one more payday after that.

I've been thinking of my exit date however have hit a snag. The snag is that my trainer is going on vacation in October and I'll be alone in the position. The company is counting on me to be there during those 6 days he won't be there and continue to spend time training me for next month and beyond. The manager even came around this week and talked to my trainer/team mate and I and laid out a development plan until November. My trainer keeps talking a few months into the future how things will be great that he can offload a bunch of work onto me and finally catch up with projects he's behind on. I feel bad that I continue to look for other job opportunities however my current schedule makes it almost impossible to interview 8am-5pm due to lack of breaks. I was supposed to have a Skype interview last week 30 minute after my shift ended, I rushed back to the house I'm staying at and the potential employer stood me up! No email, no call to let me know it was a no go. Needless to say I'll be leaving negative feedback on glassdoor.

However I did receive another voicemail today from a different company, coincidentally for the same kind of position I'm currently being trained for. When I applied in August, I wasn't employed yet so my resume has since changed. What can I tell the HR rep at this newest company about my employment status? The fact I work full time with the schedule I have makes it impossible to travel the distance required for an on site interview (the place is over 2000 miles round trip by car away and flying is prohibitively expensive, besides I'm a big chicken no having flown in over 10 years). I guess I can ask for a phone / Skype interview to start but at some point they may want me to meet them in person. In that case, if I work Mon-Fri for an inflexible manager who refuses to grant a day off, the only solution I see is to hit the road Fri PM after work, drive 2-3 days, interview Mon AM, then drive back 1-2 days and possibly miss 2 work days, claiming illness. Problem is that my colleagues know where I live and might even check up on me. They know the homeowner and have her contact info. Taking two days off would surely get me fired. But if I want out of my current job with the unbearable noise, do I have to take that risk?

Old 09-20-2017, 09:10 PM

10,642 posts, read 12,212,342 times
First try to get them to do a Skype interview.

Yes, if you eventually have to FLY to the interview -- you may have to take that risk.

Most co-workers (especially since you don't know these folks that well) -- DO NOT check up on a co-worker. It's not even a thought.

IF you had true friends one of them MIGHT call you -- not your land lady. If a manager is TRYING to get something on you, sure he MIGHT try to catch you in a lie. Short of that, do what you need to do for you.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:34 AM

10,994 posts, read 20,630,041 times
You don't need to claim that YOU are sick, just state that a family member is ill you need to see to their care. It will be a short absence, if management demands a physician's certification state that your family member is a private person and you doubt that s/he will authorize such a document but will ask. After all this is not FMLA leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment