Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 09:20 AM

4,283 posts, read 8,237,534 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with the manager.

I spend nearly my entire day answering questions for people that are right in front of them.. I can't express to you how old it gets. And, to piggyback on another answer, I do think it is a part laziness and a part of it helps to take the heat off of them because they can so "Oh, IonRedline told me that" instead of having to own it.

I do think her approach is a bit off, she would have been better addressing those individuals personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 12:28 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,871,637 times
Pretty sad that the manager actually has to send an email about this. I work for a major fortune 500 company and my previous boss there was a senior vice president and one of his favorite catch phrases to me and everyone he manages is "come to me with solutions not problems".

Old 01-11-2017, 12:48 PM

1,281 posts, read 784,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Pretty sad that the manager actually has to send an email about this. I work for a major fortune 500 company and my previous boss there was a senior vice president and one of his favorite catch phrases to me and everyone he manages is "come to me with solutions not problems".
Sometimes it's because they can resolve it either

Old 01-11-2017, 01:08 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,871,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
Sometimes it's because they can resolve it either
But usually because they have bigger problems of their own to solve and they hire people that they hope can do their jobs on their own.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:10 PM

45,999 posts, read 61,498,448 times
Hey guys, it's time to shut this thread down and watch TV and Sports.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:15 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,738,215 times
Quote:
She sent this email today to everyone explaining that too many staff members are just asking for assistance and not trying to resolve the problem first. So basically she wants to get paid to do nothing and not help her staff.

So now what is going to happen is people will be afraid to ask for help and will screw things up. Now if the same person asked for help 3 times in one day then I could see how that would be annoying but just once a day if you are a new employee?

The bolded statement is an unfair and one-sided statement. Managers are not there to babysit or to solve problems for you. Managers are there to oversee the day to day operations of their functional area and to help solve problems that others have not yet been able to solve.

This manager is looking for initiative. As adult employees we are more than capable of trying to come up with solutions to a problem on our own. Once you have exhausted those attempts it is ok to ask a manager to step in. But they are not your babysitter, and as such should not be expected to solve all of your problems at work. This shows a lack of initiative and a lack of skill which can quickly make an employee look like they are lazy and lack the ability to perform their job.

Despite the manager sending this email, it is highly unlikely that they specifically mean for new hires not to come to them, though one might expect that a new hire will at least make an effort to find a resource that can help them figure out what to do prior to asking management for help.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:29 PM

1,281 posts, read 784,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The bolded statement is an unfair and one-sided statement. Managers are not there to babysit or to solve problems for you. Managers are there to oversee the day to day operations of their functional area and to help solve problems that others have not yet been able to solve.

This manager is looking for initiative. As adult employees we are more than capable of trying to come up with solutions to a problem on our own. Once you have exhausted those attempts it is ok to ask a manager to step in. But they are not your babysitter, and as such should not be expected to solve all of your problems at work. This shows a lack of initiative and a lack of skill which can quickly make an employee look like they are lazy and lack the ability to perform their job.

Despite the manager sending this email, it is highly unlikely that they specifically mean for new hires not to come to them, though one might expect that a new hire will at least make an effort to find a resource that can help them figure out what to do prior to asking management for help.
If I ask a question it's usually confirming what I think the answer is and then they correct me if I'm wrong

Old 01-11-2017, 01:37 PM

50,667 posts, read 64,802,657 times
I know of a recent example. My dh works PT at a home improvement store. He moved from one store to another, following the manager who also moved to this store.
My husband used to run his own company, so he's been around the block a few times.

The employees at the new store do not care for the new manager at all. The former manager used to pitch in and help them do their jobs, while this one actually expects them to do their jobs themselves. Imagine that?

Hubby was asked to participate in a confab, in which employees ask for anonymous opinions and suggestions on how employee relations could be improved. The suggestions and complaints are discussed with management. DH couldn't believe how put out everyone was that they would be required to complete the tasks as assigned without help. Oh, the inhumanity.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:42 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,723,397 times
Quote:
If I ask a question it's usually confirming what I think the answer is and then they correct me if I'm wrong
That's part of the problem. The manager wants you to think for yourself and not have to re-affirm things.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:56 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,889,333 times
Quote:
That right there is an issue. You need to be confident in your decisions. Especially if you have been there three years.

I am perplexed why you think everyone is wrong and you are right. Perhaps it is time to step away from the issue and think of it from another point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment