Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:58 PM

12,920 posts, read 9,181,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
So you are saying someone should search for a answer in a manual 35 mins from closing time??
No. I'm saying you should actually know what's in it so you go right to the page and follow what it says.
What would you do? Make it up as you go along?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 09:04 PM

1,281 posts, read 781,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
No. I'm saying you should actually know what's in it so you go right to the page and follow what it says.
What would you do? Make it up as you go along?

If it's near closing time I would ask a manager. If it's 10am in the morning I will resolve it on my own.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:07 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,227,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"Manager sends email asking people to be grown-ups"
Shouldn't the manager be a little more grown-up and not shirk one of their job duties? I wish I had that luxury when I was a manager of a division at a firm in the late 1990's. LOL . The person I reported to would have chewed me out if word got back that I was ignoring employee requests for assistance. Guess some firms have a different corporate culture though.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:31 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,227,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Come on.

Look at what you wrote: The manager is asking employees to TRY TO RESOLVE PROBLEMS FIRST before they come to her for help. It didn't say, "Don't ever come to me for help."

How can you possibly object to that?
"Devil"is in the details. If I had one person coming to me for help way more than anyone else, I would have had a brief meeting with that person. I would hate to make an employee that hardly ever, but on seldom occasions, seeks assistance reluctant to do so. Even better would have been "Try one time to resolve, then do not hesitate to ask for my assistance".

Old 01-13-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
If it's near closing time I would ask a manager. If it's 10am in the morning I will resolve it on my own.
If you can resolve it at 10 AM why can't you resolve it at 430? It's just not making sense here.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
If you can resolve it at 10 AM why can't you resolve it at 430? It's just not making sense here.
Because at 4:30pm on a friday I may need more time to find the solution in the manual and that would hurt the parent if she starts a new job on Monday and needs childcare in place. At 10am I have the whole day to research and get the solution for the issue.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:30 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,584,489 times
Quote:
So you are saying someone should search for a answer in a manual 35 mins from closing time??
yes, you didn't even attempt it

the supervisor could probably have done it in 10 minutes, go to her at 4:50... after you searched for it for 20 minutes on your own

or hell, go to her at 5 pm, after you've looked for it and because she is leaving at 5, you wanted to ask her where you could find it in manual. Then you can find it, stay late and finish the problem. Since when did the world stop spinning at 5? If you need to stay a few minutes to wrap something up, then do it

manuals are electronic now, learn to use search function instead of rereading it, someone familiar with the content should be able to figure out the correct search terms even if they don't remember where it is
Quote:
"near closing time" is 5 minutes not 30

Old 01-14-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Because at 4:30pm on a friday I may need more time to find the solution in the manual and that would hurt the parent if she starts a new job on Monday and needs childcare in place. At 10am I have the whole day to research and get the solution for the issue.
Why would you expect your manager to know it off the top of her head but you don't? You've been there three years; you should already know the manual.

You need to understand your manager has initiated step one: she's set a standard and treated everyone the same be sending the email to the entire office, and created a record of having done so by putting it in an email. Next time you come to her with a question you should have resolved yourself, she's going to write it down in a little notebook. And the time after that....

If I were you I'd be studying that manual backward and forward until some could come to you at 4:59 and you can handle it. If the manual is missing a section, write it.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:00 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,611,329 times
Quote:
She sent this email today to everyone explaining that too many staff members are just asking for assistance and not trying to resolve the problem first. So basically she wants to get paid to do nothing and not help her staff.

So now what is going to happen is people will be afraid to ask for help and will screw things up. Now if the same person asked for help 3 times in one day then I could see how that would be annoying but just once a day if you are a new employee?
Not exactly. She is basically saying come to me with an idea. Don't just show up and say, "I don't know how to do this", or, "I don't know what this is".

Old 01-14-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Why would you expect your manager to know it off the top of her head but you don't? You've been there three years; you should already know the manual.

You need to understand your manager has initiated step one: she's set a standard and treated everyone the same be sending the email to the entire office, and created a record of having done so by putting it in an email. Next time you come to her with a question you should have resolved yourself, she's going to write it down in a little notebook. And the time after that....

If I were you I'd be studying that manual backward and forward until some could come to you at 4:59 and you can handle it. If the manual is missing a section, write it.

There are some things that can only be resolved at state headquarters which is not in the manual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment