Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 09:23 AM

215 posts, read 261,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
Yes, that is true. In some cultures, giving preferential treatment not only to your fellow countrymen (gender is deliberate) but also to your family members, is considered patriotic and desireable.

I remember attending a meeting at a Microsoft campus, where I was locked out of building. I was a visitor, did not have a security card to open the door. The meeting was far in the building, where they could not hear me knock on the door. A fellow-attendee at the meeting was also with me. He was Indian. He said, "Someone will let us in. Here comes a Chinese - he won't let us in. Oh, here is an Indian, he will let us in." And he did.

This idea that we have to step aside for others to come in is seen as part of the degeneracy of the Americans, and is one of the reasons Indians and Chinese are so contemptuous of American techies, who are letting it happen, and doing nothing to stop it. That would not happen in China or India!
This is utterly anecdotal. Just like Americans are all varied with differing personalities so are Indians and Chinese. Of course I understand the need to stereotype non-Americans into one big pile based on their country of origin, but since you make some valid points in other posts, perhaps you would understand if someone pointed it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 09:24 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,828,633 times
Ill say it again its the ppl hiring illegals off the street. they can’t do it. its illegal but its lot easier then finding qualified people. i believe in citizenship also but its important to know these people work lower level jobs. i dont know about microsoft but if they are what the company wants then theres a reason. i never understand why people complain about immigrants taking there jobs mabie if u work construction or something. go to school

Old 08-25-2016, 11:01 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,214,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is an employment question. This is not about politics.

For the record, I believe that anyone coming to this country should do so legally. With that said, I have a simple question.

What specific job that YOU want is being taken over by illegal immigrants?

While I don’t take my career for granted, I have no fear of illegal immigrants unless they start crossing the border with MBAs, PMPs, ITILs, and over 5 years of industry specific technology knowledge.

The employment world has changed and it’s no secret that people need to acquire more skills in growth areas like technology and anything related to the digital world (app creation, online communications, intellectual property, privacy rights, big data, etc.)

Being low skilled doesn’t work in the contemporary world for most people. However, that’s a personal choice.

Contrast that with threads where people talk about high turnover in decent factory jobs that start at $10 : https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ne-my-job.html

It’s like the twilight zone where people simultaneously complain about losing jobs to illegal immigrants and then in the same breath, complain about open available jobs that would at least provide a start to a long term career.

Why the fear of illegal immigrants? Again, what specific job that YOU want is being taken over by illegal immigrants?
In the trucking industry, there are a ton of Americans who aren't willing to work for ---t wages. Most of the crooked companies know this and will hire immigrants or import them from other countries. Many of the mega carriers are now hiring Somali people to drive for dirt wages. Many of them aren't safe drivers! However, the companies' owners get what they pay for.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:09 PM

546 posts, read 771,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Every immigrant spends money on food, housing, transportation, and other goods and services. These things all contribute to a growing economy. Think of the additional revenue at grocery stores, shoe stores, and car dealerships. Think of all the jobs thAt would be lost if that consumer spending left the economy.
YES But send money back to their homeland so it circulates there not HERE!!

Old 08-25-2016, 05:51 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,324,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
We've had immigration since the Pilgrims' time, but it was always controlled. Indeed, till 1965, and especially lately, they had it greatly restricted, sometimes keeping out whole nations for various reasons (such as those countries being at war with or not on good terms with the US). They checked to see whether you were healthy, had or could soon get a job, whether you had committed any crimes in the past, etc, and if you didn't meet certain criteria, you were sent back. It worked pretty well for us for hundreds of years. Then LBJ came along and changed everything.
this type of immigration still exist today. it is based on quota by country and they require you to pass English oral and written exams. an employer must also petition you and must be paid the prevailing wage.

this type of visa is very limited.

I and my spouse came here thru this visa. our employers spent for our visa and other necessary expenses and plane tickets to come here. but to our surprise when we arrived, we discovered that not every immigrant have to learn English and the state govts even require or provide translators to those who don't speak English

Old 08-25-2016, 06:09 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,172,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
YES But send money back to their homeland so it circulates there not HERE!!
Yes, some people send some money overseas. So what? They still spend a lot here on basic living expenses.

I have gone overseas twice in the last year, once to Indonesia, once to Italy. Are you saying that I shouldn't spend money on an overseas vacation? I stayed in hotels, ate at restaurants, spent money at museums, and tipped local cab drivers.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:18 PM

825 posts, read 560,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4 View Post
I understand the need to stereotype non-Americans into one big pile based on their country of origin.
I wasn't the one who did the stereotyping, my fellow attendee did, and he was correct because he was intimately familiar with the cultural milieu. Just because it's a stereotype does not make it wrong.

Are you seriously suggesting that foreign guest workers in the US do not favor their fellow countrymen?

Old 08-26-2016, 01:26 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,622,764 times
Quote:

Are you seriously suggesting that foreign guest workers in the US do not favor their fellow countrymen?
Are you going to confirm that white people favor other white people?

Old 08-26-2016, 01:26 PM

825 posts, read 560,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Every immigrant spends money on food, housing, transportation, and other goods and services. These things all contribute to a growing economy. Think of the additional revenue at grocery stores, shoe stores, and car dealerships.
False logic.

Your argument would be valid if the immigrant were bringing the money into the US that was being spent on living expenses. But since the immigrant is earning the money here, it's not true. An American working the job would be spending even more on food, housing, transportation and other goods and services, since the American is not sending remittances back to the home country.

You've just given a good example of how unfettered immigration is harmful, not helpful.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:38 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,172,276 times
Quote:
False logic.

Your argument would be valid if the immigrant were bringing the money into the US that was being spent on living expenses. But since the immigrant is earning the money here, it's not true. An American working the job would be spending even more on food, housing, transportation and other goods and services, since the American is not sending remittances back to the home country.

You've just given a good example of how unfettered immigration is harmful, not helpful.
It really isn't false logic. Let me illustrate.

The current population of the US is approximately 325 million with a GDP of almost $19 trillion. Both figures taken from Wikipedia, and are in the ballpark of other sources I have seen.

Under your structure, where individuals neither contribute to or subtract from the economy, simply splitting up a pre-existing pie, it makes sense to reduce the US population to a single individual, who will create $18 billion in economic activity every year.

The actual, real world situation is that each person creates more economic activity. Let's look at food. Everybody needs to eat, so every person in the country adds to the amount of food we produce, because that is tied to demand. That food production employs farmers, truck drivers, machinery manufactureres, and grocery store workers.

The same holds true for other industries. The more consumers in the economy, the more demand, resulting in more jobs to meet that demand. This is high school level economics, not rocket science. People create wealth simply by existing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment