Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 07:42 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,592,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Outside of construction, landscaping, fast-food and meat packing, there is not much job displacement, but that is enough. They knock the free market out of kilter because as non-permanent residents, they do not have same financial needs as those who make their lives here. They are willing to live 12 to an apartment and really don't have any interest in how their local school system is financed, how their medical care is financed or how any services they use are financed. A person in that situation will always be willing to work for less than somebody who has a vested interest.

The real issue is that they are in the country consuming services which the rest of us fund at an onerous cost to the taxpayer. They, along with their employers should be footing the bill, but they don't.
You are incorrect. Why are some TECH companies like Microsoft, Facebook, etc also wanting Amnesty? The answer is that at least 40% of those here illegally came here legally but overstayed their visas (The Great Wall of Trumpa won't fix that.). Hence, that could be tech workers who came and decided NOT to leave when their visa is up. While it is true that they prefer fresh blood rather than allowing a foreigner to get citizenship (which makes it easier for them then to demand higher wages), giving those here illegally Amnesty and hence a way to stick around longer, PLUS the H1Bs and the EB-5s, allows them to GREATLY increase the labor supply, thus sending wages through the floor, thus bringing up their profits.)

BTW, when McDonalds, Wendys, Sears, Home Depot, Golden Corral, etc are hiring those who AREN'T EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE HERE, that makes it harder for someone who might be in high school or early college and IS here legally to get hired as they have to compete with illegals now, and if they don't get the experience now, thanks to the illegals, they now have the dreaded "lack of career history" on their resume, which means they go to bottom of the hiring pile.

As for the unions, a lot of the farm workers unions, the SEIU, etc are actually PUSHING for Amnesty so if you're a regular legal American, don't expect them to help you.

Even temp agencies like Manpower are pushing for Amnesty, flooding the temp jobs with those who aren't supposed to be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
That list is HARDLY inclusive.

Domestic workers, childcare workers, the ENTIRE food industry not just "fast food and meat packing"

And a very LONG list I don't feel like typing out.

Anthony Bourdain, the sleaze, did a very long interview stating UNEQUIVOCALLY that the restaurant industry would COLLAPSE if illegals were deported.

When I bought my house in 1987, right outside of Philly - a UNION city - Toll Brothers brought all their illegals from Texas and the work was HORRIBLE.

Come to Florida. There's not a single house being built with anyone speaking ENGLISH.

Yet people like the OP, living in a bubble, apparently think robots or someone are in the construction trades.
You are correct, the OP is mistaken. For one thing, the guy forgot to mention hotels, as Hilton, Marriott, etc are pushing for Amnesty and LOADS of illegals are hired in hotels.

As for Texas and Florida, I have some data on that.

Texas Employers Pushing for Amnesty:

Adams Insurance Services, Inc.
ALCOM Electronicos de Mexico S.A. de C.V.
Associated Builders & Contractors of Texas
Associated Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors of Texas
Baldi Gardens
Beecherl Investments
Belton Area Chamber of Commerce
Bob Perry
Boggus Ford
Borders Melon Co.
Bowerbird Construction
Brownsville Chamber of Commerce
Bud Smith Organization
Cameo Samples LLC
Cedar Creek Farms
Clearstream Wastewater Systems, Inc.
Contran Corporation
Corporate Facilities Management Services, LLC
Dairy Farmers of America
East Texas Refrigeration
Emerald Garden
Excell Cleaning and Building Services, Inc.
Express Personnel Services
Federation of Employers & Workers of America
Four Seasons Sunrooms Design and Remodeling Center
Greater Dallas Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
Greater Houston Partnership
Greater Irving-Las Colinas Chamber of Commerce
Greater Killeen Chamber of Commerce
Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce
GreenWay Lawn Care
Heard & Smith L.L.P
Henry S. Miller Companies
Hunt Building Corporation
Hutchison Homes
IBTX Risk Management System
ImmigrationWorks USA
International Bank of Commerce
James Leininger, M.D.
Kenjura Tile, Inc.
Lawn Management Company
Landmark Nurseries Inc.
Loeffler, Tuggey, Pauerstein, Rosenthal LLP
Lone Star Milk Producers
Manhattan Policy Institute
McAllen Chamber of Commerce
Mesquite Chamber of Commerce
Metro Blind & Shade Inc.
Mission Economic Development Authority
Mortellaro’s Nursery, Inc.
North American Stone Company
Pape Farms
Phil Adams Company Pilgrim’s Pride
Plains Cotton Growers, Inc.
Powell Plant Farms, Inc.
Ran-Pro Farms Inc.
Rennerwood, Inc.
Rio Grande Valley Partnership/Chamber of Commerce
San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
Sanderson Farms
Select Milk Producers, Inc.
South Padre Island Chamber of Commerce
Southern Multifoods, Inc.
Southwest Property Landscaping
Starr-Camargo Bridge Co.
TawaKoni Plant Farm
Texas Agriculture Cooperative Council
Texas Apartment Association
Texas Association of Builders
Texas Association of Business
Texas Association of Dairymen
Texas Association of Mexican-American Chambers of Commerce
Texas Cattle Feeders Association
Texas Citrus Mutual
Texas Cotton Ginners Association
Texas Farm Bureau
Texas Forestry Association
Texas Hotel & Lodging Association
Texas Nursery and Landscape Association
Texas Watermelon Association
Texas Package Store Association
Texas Pork Producers Association
Texas Poultry Federation and Affiliates
Texas Produce Association
Texas Restaurant Association
Texas Retailers Association
Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association
Texas State Bank
Texas State Florists Association
Texas Travel Industry Association
Texas Vegetable Association
The Honorable Dolph Briscoe
Turfgrass Producers of Texas
Tyson Foods, Inc.
Universal Metal Products
West Texas Plants
Wester Landscape Management
Wilhite Landscape and Lawn Care, Ltd.
Winter Garden Produce
Workforce Solutions
Source: Texas Uproar: About Texas Employers for Immigration Reform (TEIR)

Florida Employers Pushing for Amnesty:

Anthony Olson, P.A.
Asphalt Contractors Association of Florida, Inc.
Associated Builders & Contractors of FL
Associated Builders and Contractors Florida East Coast Chapter, Inc.
Associated Industries of Florida -AIF
Autoglass 4u
Becker & Poliakoff, PA
Blythe Electrical Services
British-American Business Council, Palm Beach and Treasure Coast
British Bureau/FABB
CE Mark Boats LTD
CFSolutions
Classic Homes Realty Inc./GMAC Real Estate
Classic Limo & Sedan Service
Contempo Florida Business Brokers, LLC.
CultureLinks Consulting, LLC
Deland Country Inn
Devore and Devore, P.A.
Dixie Sansom Consulting
Encounter
Enterprise Florida
ExpatsVoice
Flamingo Properties Inc and Florida Villas Ltd
Florida Association of Realtors
Florida Chamber of Commerce
Florida Energy Systems
Florida Farm Bureau
Florida Forums
Florida Immigrant Coalition
Florida Nursery Grower & Landscaper Association
Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association
Florida TaxWatch Center for Competitive Florida
Florida Transportation Builder’s Association
Florida's Children First
Gallowhan Tool Makers, Inc.
Greenberg Traurig LLP
Henning Immigration Law
Holland & Knight LLP
Hubbard Construction
JSP Plastering
Jubilee Hair Studio
Law Office of Edward Abramson
Law Offices of Stephen Davis
Legal Immigration Services
Lynxbanc Mortgage Coporation
Magnum Trading Inc.
Mainstream Insurance
Manor Corporation
Moneycorp
Orlando Florida Online
Paulich, Slack & Wolff, PA
Post Buckley Schuh & Jernigan, Inc.
Plantation Palm
Pilgrim's Pride
Prudential Florida WCI
Realty World Top Producers, Realty Inc
Royal Maid Enterprises
RRB Systems International
Selby Corporation
Smart Resolution
Spiral Staircase Systems Inc.
Sunsplash Vacation Homes
The Garden Biz, Inc
The Greater Sarasota Chamber of Commerce
The HomeImprover Inc.
TheHomeMag - Franchising, LLC.
TNT Sales Inc
Underground Utility Contractors of Florida
Universal Vacations
Washington Economics Group

Roy Bedard, RRB Systems International
Bob Burleson, Florida Transportation Association
Gordon Figg, Contempo Business Brokers
Tamar Jacoby, Manhattan Institute
Anthony Olson, Anthony Olson, PA
Laura Reiff, Greenberg Traurig
Judy Shomaker, Florida Association of Realtors/SunCoast International Realty, Inc.
Hugh Simon, Simon International
Victoria Zepp, Center for Competitive Florida -Florida TaxWatch

Source: Florida Employers for Immigration Reform -FEIR

Last edited by MongooseHugger; 08-21-2016 at 08:03 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 08:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,864,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguars010 View Post
when illegals were here during the boom in the 90's nobody cared.

people only started trying to find a scapegoat when the economy went bad.

the economy went bad mainly due to the white people in charge, not a hispanic pounding nails on the roof.

i still point to this example here in mn.

on my way to work there is a big field with a giant billboard right outside of it saying will hire no experience 12 hr.
this is a town that is 96 percent white with an above average unemployment rate.

who do you see in the fields when you drive by? all hispanics.
No, they cared in the 90's. Illegal immigration was not such an issue though, the impact of NAFTA was just taking effect. The big wave of illegal immigration started with NAFTA.

And with your example; what does that have to do with illegal immigrants? Are those working in the fields illegal? Did the field outreach to demographics with high unemployment rates here in the US? And lastly, are they paying enough to attract workers? As another poster stated in another thread, me looking for a new F-150 for $100 and not finding it, does not mean there are no new F-150's available. The offering wage rate, 12/hr, might be too low. It is not acceptable to turn to illegal means just because a company does not want to pay the market rate.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:12 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,864,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is an employment question. This is not about politics.

For the record, I believe that anyone coming to this country should do so legally. With that said, I have a simple question.

What specific job that YOU want is being taken over by illegal immigrants?
None, right now. Back in high school and right out of high school, I would say construction, lawn care, tree trimming, and sod farm work. Back in that time, in the Midwest, there were no illegals or even legal Hispanics doing those jobs, now it is pretty much 100% illegals, not even legals.

Pay amazingly is even less; a laborer in the early 90's started at $10/hr for excavation work, in 2005 that same job was paying below $9/hr, under the table for a lot of jobs whereas under the table work was rare when I was doing it.

Quote:
While I don’t take my career for granted, I have no fear of illegal immigrants unless they start crossing the border with MBAs, PMPs, ITILs, and over 5 years of industry specific technology knowledge.

The employment world has changed and it’s no secret that people need to acquire more skills in growth areas like technology and anything related to the digital world (app creation, online communications, intellectual property, privacy rights, big data, etc.)

Being low skilled doesn’t work in the contemporary world for most people. However, that’s a personal choice.

Contrast that with threads where people talk about high turnover in decent factory jobs that start at $10 : Turnover rate is insane at my job

It’s like the twilight zone where people simultaneously complain about losing jobs to illegal immigrants and then in the same breath, complain about open available jobs that would at least provide a start to a long term career.

Why the fear of illegal immigrants? Again, what specific job that YOU want is being taken over by illegal immigrants?
Believe it or not, I do have concern for my fellow citizens and legal residents. Not all of them are going to have MBAs and tech skills. So why should they be pushed aside, and have their skill set diluted by people who are entering the country illegally, and being employed illegally?

What makes people crossing the border illegally so special over those who did it correctly? Or were born here?

I have no fear of illegals, it is just I do not like them (not in a personal sense). They full well knowingly crossed into the US with intent to work illegally, and to use social services. Some then pump kids out, then want to play the "why break the family up" game, all the while knowing they are in the country illegally. They display zero regard for the entry laws of the country.

And again; what makes these people so special that they are given a pass on the first and most basic rule, which is to enter the country legally?

Old 08-21-2016, 08:38 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,090,743 times
Quote:
What specific job that YOU want is being taken over by illegal immigrants?

Immigrants can and do compete for jobs in every job category you can imagine. That being said many end
up on some form of welfare.

Obama and Hillary are letting them in to increase their welfare voting base, but they do end up stealing jobs
also.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
Immigrants can and do compete for jobs in every job category you can imagine. That being said many end
up on some form of welfare.

Obama and Hillary are letting them in to increase their welfare voting base, but they do end up stealing jobs
also.
With the low pay + welfare benefits

1.) Companies can pay lower, which pulls down wages for ALL of us (except the big bosses (corporate and union) and the politicians).

2.) Since pay goes down, both the illegals AND the American citizens who can no longer get by due to the wages going through the floor go onto welfare, which makes Obama and Hillary happy (while also making the US Chamber of Commerce, which is a sort of de facto master of the Republican Party, happy too.)

I know this may sound cruel, but if the bennies go away, then

1.) The illegals will go away (hopefully)

2.) American can no longer afford to work these horribly low-paying jobs, so the companies would either have to tank, move to some third world hellhole (allowing some other business that is more pro-America to rise up in their absence and take their place) where that pay is normal, or else raise their wages.

3.) With the illegals gone, the pay will go up as Big Business won't have them swelling the labor supply anymore, so due to the Law of Supply and Demand, that too would raise pay.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:10 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,012,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, they cared in the 90's. Illegal immigration was not such an issue though, the impact of NAFTA was just taking effect. The big wave of illegal immigration started with NAFTA.

And with your example; what does that have to do with illegal immigrants? Are those working in the fields illegal? Did the field outreach to demographics with high unemployment rates here in the US? And lastly, are they paying enough to attract workers? As another poster stated in another thread, me looking for a new F-150 for $100 and not finding it, does not mean there are no new F-150's available. The offering wage rate, 12/hr, might be too low. It is not acceptable to turn to illegal means just because a company does not want to pay the market rate.
Your last sentence nailed it !

Old 08-21-2016, 11:37 PM

13,680 posts, read 9,762,428 times
My opinion is that while illegal immigration is by definition a crime, its economic impact is not substantially deleterious. I struggle to think of any jobs dominated by illegal immigrants, which American citizens are clamoring to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
... They knock the free market out of kilter because as non-permanent residents, they do not have same financial needs as those who make their lives here. They are willing to live 12 to an apartment and really don't have any interest in how their local school system is financed, how their medical care is financed or how any services they use are financed.
Doesn't the same reasoning apply to child-free single adults who have no desire to get married or to form traditional families? Should we then have different pay-scales or different employment-conditions for people depending on their family-status?

I personally would be quite content to work 100-hour weeks and to share an apartment with 11 other people. My life revolves around my job, and I couldn't care less about the local school system, the water quality, the crime-rate, the condition of the streets or parks or libraries and so forth. Unfortunately, we all pay taxes; nobody asked me about what public services I care to consume. There's no a la carte pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
And it's not just ILLEGALS who are the problem but LEGALS, too.
And what exactly is so onerous or undesirable about persons who apply for legal immigration to America, who go through the vetting-process, who pay their fees, obtain their Green Cards and eventually their naturalized citizenship? Are they somehow inferior to those persons, who had the prenatal wisdom of being born on American soil?

Old 08-22-2016, 04:23 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,264,237 times
Quote:
This is nothing more than racial fear. You are saying that Indian workers are becoming managers and then, in turn, will only hire other Indians.

By YOUR own logic and fear, when white men were the managers, did they only hire other white men? Are you conceding that all of the racism & sexism brought up by people of color and women for decades was actually true?
You're saying you support illegal immigration because it provides justice against racism. That sounds more like a rant than reason.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:44 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,264,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProffessorZoom View Post
Look the answer isn't a wall...........it's landmines
Large numbers of children try to cross the border. Your solution is to murder those children? America already has a reputation worldwide of being violent pigs. People all over the world hate terrorist groups such as ISIS, but you want them to hate America even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment