Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 04:47 PM

155 posts, read 197,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Then don't apply.

I interview young guys to train as engineers. It's for a professional job with high pay and good benefits, not to mention a free car and free equipments. You'd be surprised how many whine to me about the process. Never occurred to them that its a bad idea to whine about the app process to the interviewer.
Yes because that's EXACTLY like a miserable 9 bucks an hour job where you're lucky to get 25 hours a week on the schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 12:38 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,340,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
+1

Respect, I did the same thing while my UI was being approved.

If I was laid off from say, a $100k job I'd have more respect for myself than to accept a random $14k McJob. I'd have to be PRETTY desperate to choose a McJob over UI, credit cards, selling things off, etc.

Think about how DEMORALIZING it must be to go from a suit, tie, respect, etc to working amongst low-IQ people, high school drop-outs, druggies, felons, etc....

^ Avoiding that kind of humiliation alone faaaaaar outweighs any interest charges you might rack up.
You've generalized all people who work McJobs as having low IQs and as being felons, druggies, and dropouts? How do you know that to be the case? A wide variety of people work those jobs.

What a disrespectful appraisal of a large group of people.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:10 PM

10,122 posts, read 7,341,781 times
Its not the workers that would demoralize me at a Mcjob. It's the customers.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:56 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,798,484 times
There are lots of office jobs that pay $ 9.00 an hour, too. I consider those McJobs, as well. But I don't blame society - I blame myself for not getting a college degree or going to trade school when I was younger.

I see accounting clerk ads here for $ 9.00 an hour, and I live in a decent sized city.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:14 AM

6,765 posts, read 6,035,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
You've generalized all people who work McJobs as having low IQs and as being felons, druggies, and dropouts? How do you know that to be the case? A wide variety of people work those jobs.

What a disrespectful appraisal of a large group of people.
Well said. Frankly, I would prefer to work with people who have done such work and wouldn't mind doing it again. That's a strong work ethic and also it's a sign they are confident and secure individuals who are dedicated and not too proud. A rare breed in this day and age.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:24 AM

486 posts, read 999,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Its not the workers that would demoralize me at a Mcjob. It's the customers.
That is so true.

Customers in the service industry can be horrible.

I worked a few times at a brewery pouring beer for $10 an hour. Both times I had to break up fights in the bathrooms from a*hole customers (people that came in drunk that we did not serve). I am a 5' 2" small woman, not fun to be a bouncer for a measly $10 an hour. I don't work there anymore.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:03 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,032,127 times
Call center and telemarketing jobs are better than mcdonald's

Old 07-12-2016, 10:45 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,599,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Call center and telemarketing jobs are better than mcdonald's
Maybe in pay, but that's about it. In fact, what I've read about the working conditions of call centers and telemarketing (call centers for sure, and I'm sure it likely applies to telemarketing too), I think McDonald's would be better.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:48 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,032,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Maybe in pay, but that's about it. In fact, what I've read about the working conditions of call centers and telemarketing (call centers for sure, and I'm sure it likely applies to telemarketing too), I think McDonald's would be better.
How? you are sitting at a desk in front of a computer instead of the deep fryer.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:12 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,599,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
How? you are sitting at a desk in front of a computer instead of the deep fryer.
Like the crazy quotas and timed bathroom breaks for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment