Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:27 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,924,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
If the store was across the street from where you live I don't see a issue with it.

An issue with what? I don't have an issue with anything. Just posting some thoughts off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 07:29 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,027,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
An issue with what? I don't have an issue with anything. Just posting some thoughts off the top of my head.
I thought you mentioned how it was a bad look to go to the store wearing pajamas pants and I was saying not if it's right across the street.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:45 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,924,830 times
Quote:
I thought you mentioned how it was a bad look to go to the store wearing pajamas pants and I was saying not if it's right across the street.

No, all I meant was that 'back in the day' nobody would think about doing such a thing because it just wasn't done and people would think you were nuts. I don't care what people wear to the store as long as they wear something.

Not long ago I found a pic online from the movie The Stepford Wives where the women were 'perfect' in every way. The pic shows some of them in a grocery store, shopping baskets half full and them looking like they stepped off the modeling runway, elegant dresses, hats, gloves, etc.. Every time I see/hear people complain about how the people in retail stores dress I want to post that pic and tell them I don't know where THEY shop but "these are my customers!". lol

Old 07-14-2016, 08:59 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,125,832 times
Quote:
I must admit that my boyfriend and have a habit of going to the grocery in our pajamas on the weekend. I mean, who cares?

Old 07-14-2016, 09:38 PM

6,716 posts, read 5,960,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I must admit that my boyfriend and have a habit of going to the grocery in our pajamas on the weekend. I mean, who cares?
When I lived in Taiwan ' men would hang out in their pajamas at the front gate in the morning, having a smoke. They usually didn't venture too far from home, but clearly there was no stigma about jammies generally. On the other hand, people there did dress up more than most Americans would. In fact we American students looked like slobs by comparison.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:28 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,591,978 times
My greatest fear about McJobs is that once you get them, that seems to be all you can get. (Or so I've read in some places.)

Old 07-14-2016, 10:36 PM

191 posts, read 231,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
My greatest fear about McJobs is that once you get them, that seems to be all you can get. (Or so I've read in some places.)
It certainly seems that way. Being the "employer's market" that we are in, it seems lots of employers take a negative view of working a "McJob" for too long. They seem to expect you to have this "perfect" life where layoffs never happen etc.

I don't think that's fair though, since most people take these "McJobs" out of necessity (the bills have to be paid somehow).... I doubt most people "want" to be at a McJob

/sigh employers seem so unforgiving and picky these days , I suppose that's to be expected though given the HUGE number of applicants they get per job opening (sometimes literally 100s per job opening).

Their pickiness would "make sense" for GOOD, high-paying jobs with benefits, important tasks, security clearances, etc..... but a 500+ question "personality test" for a throwaway $9/hr job?? I mean come on

Old 07-15-2016, 10:04 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,060,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
My dad was dismayed how even as recent as last decade, some people show up to a bank wearing shorts and sandles when applying for a mortgage.
don't forget about those with full sleeve tattoos as well. people think it is acceptable to go out like that in public, however I have found that the amount of ink & intelligence has a direct negative correlation

Old 07-15-2016, 10:09 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,060,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
It certainly seems that way. Being the "employer's market" that we are in, it seems lots of employers take a negative view of working a "McJob" for too long. They seem to expect you to have this "perfect" life where layoffs never happen etc.

I don't think that's fair though, since most people take these "McJobs" out of necessity (the bills have to be paid somehow).... I doubt most people "want" to be at a McJob

/sigh employers seem so unforgiving and picky these days , I suppose that's to be expected though given the HUGE number of applicants they get per job opening (sometimes literally 100s per job opening).

Their pickiness would "make sense" for GOOD, high-paying jobs with benefits, important tasks, security clearances, etc..... but a 500+ question "personality test" for a throwaway $9/hr job?? I mean come on
It is an "employers market"?? maybe for people who just got out of prison who have multiple felonies on their record but for the average person and for those with a college degree it is the complete opposite. It is an EMPLOYEES market such that anyone is going to look negatively at someone who "could only find" a McJob or such other type of employment ..

"huge number" of applicants they get (who is they) per job opening?? really??? there are "now hiring signs" everywhere here in the Boston area but then again no one is going to work for $12 an hour. kids in college get generous handouts from mommy & daddy and student loans & credit cards while focusing on studies is completely better than some dead end mcjob or retail job where you get many types that you really should not associate with or be influenced by

Old 07-15-2016, 10:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,045,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
don't forget about those with full sleeve tattoos as well. people think it is acceptable to go out like that in public, however I have found that the amount of ink & intelligence has a direct negative correlation
I've never found that at all. I don't care for tattoos, but many of the brightest people I know (well educated, C level execs, etc) have prolific tattoos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment