Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 12:51 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,130,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Doesn't matter one bit. What matters is that a person puts forth 100% effort in ANY job. If I cook a burger, you better believe it will be the best one you ever taste. If I work in a call center, you're going to take that survey after and leave me positive ratings. If clean a toilet, you'd be able to eat off it when I'm done. A cook making $7.25/hr that is passionate about what they do is more valuable than a call center employee making $12/hr that hates their job. You can teach the cook more skills, but the call center employee is a waste of breath because they already have their mind made up that they're doing the bare minimum.

Finding something that you enjoy does always mean the most money and not everyone needs a lot of money to survive. I have a wife and two kids, so I have pushed hard to advance my career and make a nice living to provide for them. But that doesn't mean my job has more value than someone who is flipping a burger. It's just different.
If you are being paid a lot more then that necessarily does mean your job has more value, literally. If a burger flipper job was just as valuable then it would be paid a lot more. But I agree with you in putting in 100% effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 01:09 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,684,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
If you are being paid a lot more then that necessarily does mean your job has more value, literally. If a burger flipper job was just as valuable then it would be paid a lot more. But I agree with you in putting in 100% effort.

I wasn't referring to monetary value, but I get what you're saying.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:59 PM

5,902 posts, read 3,912,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
How can a call center job be worst than Mcdonald's when you are in administrative role and making more money?
Can one actually spin call center work on their resume as being more towards office administration?

Old 07-19-2016, 05:04 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,027,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Can one actually spin call center work on their resume as being more towards office administration?
Yup they can apply for a receptionist job since they have telephone communication skills.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:26 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,535,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Yep.
Computer skills
Communication skills
Customer service
Negotiation/persuasion
Product knowledge
Sales skills, etc

Transferable skills are real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment