Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 12:33 AM

155 posts, read 198,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The shirt and tie is slowly becoming a thing of the past except in the most conservative industries like finance or law. At my local grocery store the employees wear t-shirts with the company logo, while the managers just wear dress shirts w/o tie and slacks. These days you would get a long stare if you showed up at a minimum wage job interview wearing a suit and tie.
EXACTLY; I'm sorry but a tie at a McDonald's interview (even for a Manager Trainee; note that's NOT a manager that's probably a key holder position paying a buck or two more an hour than a starting job) is overdressed and absurd. Sorry Steve Bagu this isn't 1955 anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 02:38 AM

7,651 posts, read 5,199,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
It's not that anyone else can see holes, you know it is there. If you know it isn't there, you don't "worry" about it. Sewing is easy. I'm a guy and learned to do basic mending work on a sewing machine in 15 minutes. I took a class at Jo-ann for free.

Maybe you won't get better service at the grocery store, what about the interaction in the parking lot? With other customers? The employees? Unless you just go in, get out and not talk to anyone, kind of like being a ghost and hoping no one notices you.

I've gotten promotional items/discounts because they picked me to help "demo" or try an item. Why me vs another one in group? No idea, but I bet they didn't have picked the homeless looking guy since they didn't want to be near him, use him as a "prop" for other people to see next to their product.

I'd ask if you get doors held open for you often, if not, I'd use that as an example. Not just physical doors, but opportunities too. Life is just "easier" for people if they can present themselves well. More people want to get to know you, more people in your network, more people to get help from and that want your help. Some people might say it isn't fair, well... that's life. If you want to do well, play the "game".
The problem is you can't just play the game for a few years and then cash out to a life of flip flops on the beach. So then the question becomes do you want your entire life to be a game? I don't that's why I moved out of a posh uptight area even though I work a professional job and I can be in pajamas and slippers in the store and talk to the people. The neighbors shooting it out with police a few times a year (different ones obviously) does kinda suck though.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:08 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,984,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
EXACTLY; I'm sorry but a tie at a McDonald's interview (even for a Manager Trainee; note that's NOT a manager that's probably a key holder position paying a buck or two more an hour than a starting job) is overdressed and absurd. Sorry Steve Bagu this isn't 1955 anymore.
Typically at a fast food joint the "manager" is really the franchise owner who bounces in between multiple locations to conduct administration duties. Like you said the person running the store is just a key holder for a buck extra an hour or so.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:35 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,035,542 times
I lived off my credit card for 60 days after losing my job to avoid taking a fast food job and don't regret it one bit.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:56 PM

6,426 posts, read 4,179,827 times
I hate to break it to you guys. These tests for min wage jobs are there to give advantage to those who actually want the job. If you can't be bothered to take a simple test for a job, why should I hire you?

When I interview someone, if I even get a hint that he thinks any part of the hiring process is too troublesome for him, I will remove him from consideration.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I hate to break it to you guys. These tests for min wage jobs are there to give advantage to those who actually want the job. If you can't be bothered to take a simple test for a job, why should I hire you?

When I interview someone, if I even get a hint that he thinks any part of the hiring process is too troublesome for him, I will remove him from consideration.
Maybe because the length of the test is too long for a low paying job?

Old 07-10-2016, 02:30 PM

191 posts, read 233,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
I lived off my credit card for 60 days after losing my job to avoid taking a fast food job and don't regret it one bit.
+1

Respect, I did the same thing while my UI was being approved.

If I was laid off from say, a $100k job I'd have more respect for myself than to accept a random $14k McJob. I'd have to be PRETTY desperate to choose a McJob over UI, credit cards, selling things off, etc.

Think about how DEMORALIZING it must be to go from a suit, tie, respect, etc to working amongst low-IQ people, high school drop-outs, druggies, felons, etc....

^ Avoiding that kind of humiliation alone faaaaaar outweighs any interest charges you might rack up.

Last edited by CuriousMiscer; 07-10-2016 at 02:39 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 02:47 PM

6,426 posts, read 4,179,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Maybe because the length of the test is too long for a low paying job?
Then don't apply.

I interview young guys to train as engineers. It's for a professional job with high pay and good benefits, not to mention a free car and free equipments. You'd be surprised how many whine to me about the process. Never occurred to them that its a bad idea to whine about the app process to the interviewer.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Then don't apply.

I interview young guys to train as engineers. It's for a professional job with high pay and good benefits, not to mention a free car and free equipments. You'd be surprised how many whine to me about the process. Never occurred to them that its a bad idea to whine about the app process to the interviewer.
I didn't I went $3000 in debt to find the nice job I have now and been working since 2013.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:44 PM

850 posts, read 910,571 times
Quote:
Then don't apply.

Those tests are okay for high paying jobs with excellent benefits. Of course you want top notch candidates for those types of jobs but any job that pays less than $30k a year should not have those personality and psychometric tests. Asking a 100 question test for a $9-10 hour McDonalds job is ridiculous.

I had to do one of those stupid questionnaires online with target as a sales floor associate job that paid $8.75 per hour. They don't measure anything because everybody BS them and select the answer they know the hiring manager wants to here. I got the job but found it ridiculous that I had to do a psychology test for a $8-9 hour job.

When I applied for my current job there was no online tests but I did get grilled by some HR bimbo asking me a bunch of STAR behavioral questions which I easily BS. Any HR worker or hiring manager with an IQ above 98 should know those questions don't measure anything and candidates are just going to give BS responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment