Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 09:45 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,966,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
If YOU are a felon etc etc etc YOU made a bad a stupid a lazy choice and YOU are responsible.. YOU screwed up YOUR own life....
Assuming that the criminal justice system in this country isn't totally corrupt, resulting in many false convictions for innocent people.

Problem is, the system is corrupt. Many, if not most, of those convicted, are innocent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 09:56 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,568,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena777 View Post
Because people who are consistently law abiding who work hard to maintain good credit and who don't use illicit substances want to keep any edge they can get, especially over people who've shown an unwillingness to play by the rules
Bingo

Old 12-22-2014, 10:35 AM

140 posts, read 193,639 times
I don't understand it either... I think a murderer or a rapist would do great in the business world. They lack fear and have no empathy.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:41 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,240,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if you cant handle money i dont want you to handle mine. if you are violent felon i dont want to work with you
why is that so hard to understand?
Not all felons or people with very bad credit are the same.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:41 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,037,142 times
In a tough job market if you were an employer choosing between two equal candidates, one with a record and one without, who would YOU choose to work for your business?

Old 12-22-2014, 10:43 AM

61,254 posts, read 87,868,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Assuming that the criminal justice system in this country isn't totally corrupt, resulting in many false convictions for innocent people.

Problem is, the system is corrupt. Many, if not most, of those convicted, are innocent.
Barring people from jobs is like not renting to rip off artists that won't pay rent and that like to trash your property
As to bad justice system----
At San Bruno jail there
Are no robbers no rapists no murderers only victims of a judgemental stereotyping society
I'm sorry but what I am not seeing in 9 pages of posts is personal responsibility

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-22-2014 at 10:55 AM..

Old 12-22-2014, 10:59 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,974,989 times
Depends on what the felony status for that person is... Nowadays a lot of things can qualify as Felony status that would have nothing to do with a person working a job...

Also the credit thing is just a bunch of crap.. Statistics have shown that the people who are most likely to cheat or embezzle company funds are the ones who make a crap load of money and have a problem handling their finances... They are the ones who will screw the company because they want to maintain their lifestyle.... Most people who are just workerbees do not do this because they are fairly content with their place in life....

Depending on the state any number of things will get you a felony status... Rob a bank in 1 state and they know who you are but can't find you it's a felony..Rob a bank in a different state and same scenario, but they don't consider it a felony...

Crash a car into a dealership at 3 am in 1 state and you are taken away in an ambulance but the police don't know this you are a felon... Do this in a different state and they just put a plain vanilla warrant out for you...

Etc, Etc.....

So depending on what their past is would depend on if I would hire them or want to work with them... Plenty of people I have worked with SHOULD have been behind bars for one thing or another but they weren't.. Doesn't make them any better than other people... Also I would rather work along side someone who had been a felon for any number of things than a coworker who is high or drunk at work....

Old 12-22-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Barring people from jobs is like not renting to rip off artists that won't pay rent and that like to trash your property
As to bad justice system----
At San Bruno jail there
Are no robbers no rapists no murderers only victims of a judgemental stereotyping society
I'm sorry but what I am not seeing in 9 pages of posts is personal responsibility
Someone that was falsely accused, falsely convicted, and falsely imprisoned is not responsible for their lot in life.

I highly suggest that you spend some time in your local courtroom. You'll be shocked at some of the 'crimes' they are pushing.

Things are not what they seem.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheInternet View Post
I don't understand it either... I think a murderer or a rapist would do great in the business world. They lack fear and have no empathy.
Strawman argument.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:42 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,834,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just like people that lack a degree, or a high school diploma, have no experience, or have long employment gaps, the felon or person with bad credit is not barred from employment, they just face a more difficult road. While I have sympathy for the person with bad credit due to an illness, a potential employer is not allowed to ask about their medical history or personal financial details, their only option is to use a "pass/fail" based on credit report or score. Insurance companies use it to set their rates, and consider it to be indicative of reliability and risk. For employers it provides one more way to reduce the number of people they have to interview for an opening, regardless of whether the job involves money.
So basically if you have a reason beyond your control for your bad credit, it won't matter because all they'll see is that you have bad credit. Better yet they probably don't even tell you you failed so you could assume you didn't get hired for another reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment