Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 12:32 PM

615 posts, read 726,637 times

Advertisements

I hear people say things like, "Well, that's good, because if you don't have good character then you don't deserve a job," or stuff like that. Won't this attitude create a society of people who just give up trying in life? For example, if I was convicted of a felony and knew that I could never have a good job again, that I'd be forever relegated to working at McDonald's (at best), then I would probably just commit suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 12:37 PM

194 posts, read 148,899 times
Because too many people have an elitist mentality and they need something tangible to make themselves feel superior or distinguished above others. As long as there are people with inferiority complexes, this will always be an issue in western society.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:58 PM

285 posts, read 534,915 times
I don't necessarily agree with it, but at the same time, I don't want someone convicted of identity theft/fraud/money laundering to be working at a bank handling my money/accessing my personal info, or handling a company's finances.. As a female I also wouldn't want someone convicted of sexual assault or rape to be working along side me in my office, where I would potentially be alone with them at times or walking to/from the building. I believe in second chances, but at the same time, it's so hard to know... Not to mention if a company knowingly hired someone with a past and then they repeated the behavior and harmed the company or employees, the company would be liable and it's understandable that they would want to avoid that. I think if the wrong-doing was many years ago or when they were a teenager and they cleaned up their act since, that's one thing. But recent convictions or anything violent, no thanks. I also think the credit thing is a way lesser problem, but I can understand why companies would want to keep them out of financial positions/positions that have financial decision-making responsibilities... For other jobs, if the only issue is their credit, I do find that a bit discriminatory. (Especially if the poor credit is due to identity theft by our aforementioned felons :P)

Old 12-20-2014, 01:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotocatmom View Post
As a female I also wouldn't want someone convicted of sexual assault or rape to be working along side me in my office, where I would potentially be alone with them at times or walking to/from the building.
This is quite sexist. Why do you think that a male wouldn't want the same protection for himself, and his other coworkers?

Old 12-20-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is quite sexist. Why do you think that a male wouldn't want the same protection for himself, and his other coworkers?
It's not sexist, it's reality. Women statistically are raped and sexually assaulted far more often than men and have cause to be concerned about being sexually assaulted more so than the average man.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
if you cant handle money i dont want you to handle mine. if you are violent felon i dont want to work with you
why is that so hard to understand?

Old 12-20-2014, 01:11 PM

615 posts, read 726,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotocatmom View Post
As a female I also wouldn't want someone convicted of sexual assault or rape to be working along side me in my office, where I would potentially be alone with them at times or walking to/from the building.
You probably already are working alongside people who are felons, rapists, illegal drug users, etc.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodWayOfDoingThat View Post
It's not sexist, it's reality. Women statistically are raped and sexually assaulted far more often than men and have cause to be concerned about being sexually assaulted more so than the average man.
I'm not denying that. But the fact that you think that men don't care about women being raped as much as women do, is absurd. Men aren't pro-rape, like you think. Your opinion is quite sexist.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm not denying that. But the fact that you think that men don't care about women being raped as much as women do, is absurd. Men aren't pro-rape, like you think. Your opinion is quite sexist.
Based on your comments I see that you're either trolling or you just do not get it, maybe both. Either way I'm not going to waste my time responding to you anymore.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:19 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,312,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
I hear people say things like, "Well, that's good, because if you don't have good character then you don't deserve a job," or stuff like that. Won't this attitude create a society of people who just give up trying in life? For example, if I was convicted of a felony and knew that I could never have a good job again, that I'd be forever relegated to working at McDonald's (at best), then I would probably just commit suicide.
It already has created a society of people who gave up trying in life. However instead of working at McDonalds, which screens for felons (and misdemeanors) anyway, these people just commit crimes again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment