Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 02:33 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,257,945 times

Advertisements

Problem: A person gets out of prison and can't get a job because of his record. So he goes back to a life of crime.

Solution: Don't let him out of prison in the first place. As long as he stays in prison, he doesn't need a job.

Think how much our crime rates would be reduced if we simply kept criminals in prison forever, instead of letting them out to commit more crimes. Prison is crime university, where they learn more advanced techniques to commit more crimes, and become hardened to be less sensitive to suffering by their victims.

Question: If we're going to manufacture hardened criminals in prisons, can't we at least have the common sense to keep them there?

Answer: Our society is run by government. Government and common sense are polar opposites.

Therefore, the reason we have so much crime, is because we ask for it, by letting government make decisions about it, instead of using common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 02:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,169,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I think he got it. cotocatmom thinks that men are okay with rapists, but since she is female, she is against having them in the workplace. It's as clear as night and day.
Oh, I got it. It's obvious.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:10 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,353,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
I hear people say things like, "Well, that's good, because if you don't have good character then you don't deserve a job," or stuff like that. Won't this attitude create a society of people who just give up trying in life? For example, if I was convicted of a felony and knew that I could never have a good job again, that I'd be forever relegated to working at McDonald's (at best), then I would probably just commit suicide.
People who run (seriously) afoul of the law on one or two occasions are not condemned to a life of complete poverty and alienation. Many of them end up working at blue-collar jobs where their potential for causing serious disruption is limited (How much of any value can you pilfer in a tampon factory?), as are their options for later life.

Most of us, one way or the other, don't end up in "good" jobs, but our media-obsessed society conditions our young men, particularly those not raised in families where the limitations and frustrations of middle-class society are a part of daily life, to "expect' something better. When it doesn't materialize, a few turn to illegal options, and far too many to "chemical escapes", but most just bottle their frustrations up, or find some other outlet.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-20-2014 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-20-2014, 03:16 PM

7,930 posts, read 7,832,572 times
It depends on the crime and severity. I know some bad apples that fell into drugs and went in and out of rehab to the point where I totally cut them off. One is probably 30 by now and hasn't held down any form of legit work. Thinking that somehow he should make more then minimum wage etc.

Even if some drugs were legalized employers will still have the right to test for them. In many respects they have no one to blame but themselves.

As for credit frankly there's alert systems that can be automated and banking is largely online. These days payments can be set up online so you can't really forget a payment these days.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:20 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,152,280 times
Quote:
  1. Suicide
  2. Live on Welfare (Easy to do: Just feign a mental disorder, get disagnosed and receive Disability payments for life.)
  3. Be content with working minimum-wage jobs
  4. Try to start their own business
1. Be content with working any job they can get (not just the "good" ones)
2. Stay clean
3. Build up a history of good, reliable work performance and experience
4. Go after better jobs

Old 12-20-2014, 03:54 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,585,727 times
Quote:
I hear people say things like, "Well, that's good, because if you don't have good character then you don't deserve a job," or stuff like that. Won't this attitude create a society of people who just give up trying in life? For example, if I was convicted of a felony and knew that I could never have a good job again, that I'd be forever relegated to working at McDonald's (at best), then I would probably just commit suicide.
The thing that gets me is if you are:

1. Female
2 Have an anti-social personality disorder or communication problems that don't allow you to get along well with other people
3. Intelligent
4. Single
5. Without formal training (vocational school or university)

You are likely to find yourself marginalized like the groups who commit crimes against society. How fair is that?

Old 12-20-2014, 04:12 PM

25 posts, read 36,898 times
I know someone who messed up really bad when he was 17 (tried at 18 as an adult). It involved guns and was pretty awful, but no one was hurt. At the time he was surrounded by other teenagers who were doing drugs and so was he. He definitely deserved corporal punishment at that time. He was put in prison on felony charges and was locked up for several years.

When he got out of prison, he did have to work minimum wage for a while, in the meantime taking classes and studying to gain a skill (I won't disclose too much info about that, as it's not my place to possibly give away his anonymity). He was hired and fired multiple times for good jobs, after they got his background check back.

He was really depressed and frustrated for a long time, but continued to apply for jobs, go through the interviews and try even if he knew he probably wouldn't get hired. He continued this for a few years and eventually he found a place that wanted to give him a shot. It's all been uphill from there. He makes really good money, loves his job and his family.

It is possible to be successful, but as other people have posted, it requires patience and perseverance.

-katnc

Last edited by katnc; 12-20-2014 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-20-2014, 04:17 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,606,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if you cant handle money i dont want you to handle mine.

why is that so hard to understand?
I filed Ch 13 bankruptcy in 2009... and it didn't have a thing to do with not being able to handle money. It had to do with losing my job through no fault of my own in a horrible economy and being out of work for over a year... I blew the savings and then filed to keep what I owned because $275 weekly unemployment (the state max in FL) didn't cover the bills.

At any rate, I made my payments, my bankruptcy was discharged about 18 months ago and falls off my credit reports in another year.

Oh, I just hit 700 FICO with 2 of the 3 credit bureaus.

Thankfully credit can be rebuilt... and I still handle money the same way I always have... responsibly. I've since moved to a better state with a better economy and got a much better job. My financial life is better now than it ever was.

Sorry, I just don't buy into people with credit issues being barred from jobs... $hit happens. I can see my credit being checked if I applied for a job handling money... but even then my credit history doesn't mean I'm going to rob my employer.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:26 PM

615 posts, read 726,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
The thing that gets me is if you are:

1. Female
2 Have an anti-social personality disorder or communication problems that don't allow you to get along well with other people
3. Intelligent
4. Single
5. Without formal training (vocational school or university)

You are likely to find yourself marginalized like the groups who commit crimes against society. How fair is that?
Puh-leeze ...

Old 12-20-2014, 04:55 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
I have yet to see a poster own his own stuff -- instead u minimized
your wrong doing
excused your mistake
said "stuff happens "
that is all fine but in my world you make it happen or stop it from happening and that mr victim is why I won't hire u
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment