Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 12:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,095 posts, read 82,483,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
So basically if you have a reason beyond your control for your bad credit, it won't matter because all they'll see is that you have bad credit. Better yet they probably don't even tell you you failed so you could assume you didn't get hired for another reason.
Exactly. I'm not saying it's right, just that's how it is at most companies. Two of my employees required a FBI background check due to the work they do, for the others we did no criminal or credit checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 12:51 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,554,289 times
Crime rates have been declining since 1990 where they peaked. We don't have more criminals we have fewer than we used to.

I have no problem when a person has paid their debt to society and is out of the system. That does not mean that these people should be rewarded with the best job out there. It means that they need to start all over again. If that means working fast food then so be it. Give it 4 or 5 years and move up from there. Within 10 or so years the felon should be able to distance themselves from the past life and move into better postions. Not every employer will open their doors to them but many will. It just takes time. The same can be said for bad credit. That is a temporary thing. Everyone is within 10 years of clean credit. A bankrupsi stays with you for 10 years. After that it is gone and bingo you have a clean record again.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:02 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,320,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I don't think in terms of good or bad; it's just a matter of risk assessment. There are a lot if other applicants out there who have a better track record, so it's safer for me to choose them over someone with a questionable history, at least in my line of work. There are ways for felons to rebuild a track record but that naturally and deservedly takes time. I bet most people are willing to consider a felon if they've proven themselves over a long period of time and there are ways for convicts to repair their careers and reputations. The question is, does the individual in question have the character to do the extra work over a long period of time and do they have the discipline not to make the same mistakes again?
And if no one will hire them, how do they accomplish this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
At my last job, one of my coworkers was a felon.
I didn't know this until the last week I worked there, asides from his dreds, he was dressed so professionally and he was so humble and nice (didn't even let his anger show), that it actually made me rethink how I view felons.

You can get felonies and misdemeanors for anything, some DO deserve a second chance.
Yes, he didn't even.....

Why do you asume that he was angry? And why are you shocked..... because he didn't "look" or "act" like a crminial??

Did you actually rethink how you view felons? Anyone could be a felon....and you wouldn't know it - especially when they "don't let their anger show".

Old 12-22-2014, 01:47 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,214,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
And THERE you have it.

You DESERVE a "decent job". And what about all the OTHER qualified people who DIDN'T show your poor judgement? You DESERVE to jump ahead of them why, exactly. In MY COMPANY that I BUILT with MY sweat and hard work.

What job isn't DECENT?

Outrageous, simply OUTRAGEOUS. And not even FACTUAL.
No need to scream at me. All I'm saying is that I don't agree with them being entirely and systematically ruled out of consideration. Nowhere did I say that they're 'entitled' to jobs, certainly not to the extent of 'jumping ahead of others'.

So please don't put words in my mouth.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:07 PM

307 posts, read 1,102,470 times
So someone who gets laid off (company shuts down), loses insurance, has an appendix burst, and gets injured in a car-wreck from an uninsured motorist, and gets tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, and is forced to declare BK...

... never have a good job again?

Old 12-22-2014, 03:09 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,276,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV702 View Post
So someone who gets laid off (company shuts down), loses insurance, has an appendix burst, and gets injured in a car-wreck from an uninsured motorist, and gets tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, and is forced to declare BK...

Who said that?

Old 12-22-2014, 03:30 PM

307 posts, read 1,102,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Who said that?
I thought I hit quote it was from page 1 where someone said if you can't handle money. Bad credit does not mean you can't handle money. Sometimes stuff happens.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:26 PM

7,962 posts, read 7,946,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV702 View Post

Bankruptcy in itself is not a bad thing. In some cases it can simply be better to file it early then to drag it out. Besides these days you have to plead in front of a judge so if someone truly does need it then it is approved...vs in the past when it was just handing a lawyer $300 for some paperwork and acting like nothing changed.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:42 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,423,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
It already has created a society of people who gave up trying in life. However instead of working at McDonalds, which screens for felons (and misdemeanors) anyway, these people just commit crimes again.
Either that, or they end up going on assistance programs. Actually, in some states I think even the welfare screens for that. Of course, we then have to endure listening to the washed up right wing conservative HATE SPEECH about how lazy people are. You can't call someone lazy when the system never even gave them a chance to begin with, or in this case, a second chance.

What people need to remember is that they will be paying for them either way. If not their time and welfare, then their paycheck. If they want to work let them do that. Close to a normal life as possible.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:44 PM

611 posts, read 1,464,025 times
Not going to read through all of this, as I believe in 2nd chances, but I want to tell a little story.

When I was in high school, I worked at a combination KFC/Pizza Hut. I was 16. The chicken cook was a newly released ex-con (in his late 30's at the time) who was very intimidating in size and stature. He had been in prison on child molestation charges. While he wasn't allowed to work in traditional settings that brought him around children- he WAS allowed to work in a fast food restaurant that routinely hires CHILDREN.
Long story short- this man was ALWAYS trying to corner me in the walk-in freezer. He went on to impregnate one of the girls in my graduating class who was considered "slow."

I don't think sex offenders should be allowed to work around children in any capacity, I could never understand how the law overlooks employed minors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment