Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 06:55 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,788,671 times

Advertisements

I honestly think some of the young women are not getting jobs because vocal fry annoys everyone but those who speak that way. It sounds immature and isn't at all flattering.

BigD, I hear you when you say it's crowded and people going there are taking jobs and costing everyone money. I think many feel that way about the entire country.

If you think the Texans are being vocal, you should see the Chicago forum when someone relocates from NYC and then complains that the vibe isn't the same as NYC. Some of you who post in both forums can vouch for that. It gets ugly.

In my best (imagined) BigDGeek's voice: All y'all are welcome in Chicago, but we don't have enough jobs to go around for the locals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 06:59 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,801,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w_mcfly22 View Post
So how does Houston treat their transplants? Lol.
It's all about attitude, any city can be a positive experience as long as you put in what you get out. I like Houston and plan on living here for many years.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:15 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,889,333 times
Interesting reading replies from native Texans. We moved here for hubby's job. The entire family was looking forward to a change. Trying to meet people has been very challenging. I volunteered at my daughter's school and meeting families. not one mom would talk to me, barley answered emails I sent. We went to out block party, met the neighbors, no one talked to is after. It has been one blow after another. It is not for lack of trying, no one is interested in meeting new people.

We moved here not knowing a soul, and after a year I know two families. It is disheartening and very lonely.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:21 PM

61 posts, read 75,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Interesting reading replies from native Texans. We moved here for hubby's job. The entire family was looking forward to a change. Trying to meet people has been very challenging. I volunteered at my daughter's school and meeting families. not one mom would talk to me, barley answered emails I sent. We went to out block party, met the neighbors, no one talked to is after. It has been one blow after another. It is not for lack of trying, no one is interested in meeting new people.

We moved here not knowing a soul, and after a year I know two families. It is disheartening and very lonely.
That is sad to hear. May I ask where you reside and also where you came from?

Old 09-10-2014, 07:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,889,333 times
We moved to Collin county from New Jersey. It doesn't help that we don't have a professional network, my husband travels and I work from home.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,516,731 times
Quote:

Yup that's been my experience as well. I've resorted to hanging out with people I knew in high school because I can't really get to know anyone new. It seriously sucks here.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:48 PM

35,363 posts, read 31,836,491 times
You should never move somewhere blind and uninformed.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:03 PM

61 posts, read 75,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
You should never move somewhere blind and uninformed.
Agreed, but I don't think you can ever be fully informed when relocating unless you know people already there. You can only research so much. You can only visit so many times. It's always different when actually living day to day somewhere...IMO

Old 09-10-2014, 08:08 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,423,600 times
I have been in TX for many decades and my sense is that there are now so many people from other places here that any particular culture that once existed no longer does. Anyplace USA. We have indeed become homogenous.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:52 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,578,745 times
Quote:
We moved to Collin county from New Jersey. It doesn't help that we don't have a professional network, my husband travels and I work from home.
Yo I'm from SEPA and moved to Collin county, what part of Jersey?

My wife is native but had been away for so long she's having trouble creating a new social network since our son was born a year ago. In a nutshell her old friends were also transplants to the cities she transplanted to.

We should start a Collin county transplant social group.

EDIT: You can PM me if you don't want to share more specific info on the forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment