Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:54 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,644,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena777 View Post
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of all Texans... except maybe Austinites - they tired of ya'll.
Thanks for the laugh....LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 10:23 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,644,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Interesting reading replies from native Texans. We moved here for hubby's job. The entire family was looking forward to a change. Trying to meet people has been very challenging. I volunteered at my daughter's school and meeting families. not one mom would talk to me, barley answered emails I sent. We went to out block party, met the neighbors, no one talked to is after. It has been one blow after another. It is not for lack of trying, no one is interested in meeting new people.

We moved here not knowing a soul, and after a year I know two families. It is disheartening and very lonely.
This made me feel sad for you. I hope it gets better as it sure seems like You are extending the hand of friendship. I would keep trying, though. Volunteering and getting involved in local activities or through a church or something is a big help. Good luck. (I have had the same problem in other areas)

Old 09-11-2014, 01:17 AM

440 posts, read 715,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
We moved to Collin county from New Jersey. It doesn't help that we don't have a professional network, my husband travels and I work from home.
I apologize on behalf of Collin County.

The area is full of transplants; I can't say that it's particularly Texan. Plano has had several teen suicide waves... it's not somewhere I would choose to live.

Having said that, and speaking as a native Texan:

1) avoid talking about politics. Collin County is especially red, and you come from a blue state.
2) do you go to church? this is often how connections are made, even if it's a non-denominational Unitarian church.
3) do not talk about gun control.
4) develop a love of football - or if you don't care for it, don't talk about it.

I'm not a good fit for Collin County - I do go to church, but the rest... I would not fit in.

There are various vibes to be found in the Metroplex - if you're not tied to that area, why not look around for a better fit?

Old 09-11-2014, 01:19 AM

440 posts, read 715,430 times
The one reason I'd discourage moving to Texas is that we are going to run out of water. Soon.

We have absolutely no planning for the combination of explosive population growth and record drought. There are some small towns that have completely dried up water supplies - not enough that they had to be evacuated, but water had to be trucked in.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:46 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,485,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind spot View Post
Well i just moved to dfw (with a job) from southern california and i found the people there to be difficult to befriend myself. Most of the people there weren't interested in anything beyond "let's grab a drink" type of friendship. I've wanted to move here for so long in part BECAUSE I have experienced very positive interactions here and hoped i could make some friends. Everyone I've come across here has been polite, friendly, and just plain nice, without the fakeness that I've gotten used to. The posts on this thread aren't very encouraging though I hope it isn't representative of people who live here on a whole, if it is, I've made a big mistake. Being cold to transplants will just give a self fulfilling prophecy, people won't want to put down roots if after years and years they still aren't accepted, so of course they will move to a place where they're not iced out just because they weren't born in that particular state.

I believe every state has something different to offer, and it's natural to miss where you came from, there are many things I missed from Michigan living in California even! You have to appreciate what your state does offer...if you just live missing what you had in your previous location you may as well move back. I don't want Texas to turn into CA because I moved to get away from CA in the first place!
I met someone at a meet up who moved from Texas saying that all the events end up being food-centric.

They grab a drink, eat food.
They go watch a game, then eat food
They eat food, then eat more food

You'd think this is what many Americans do in social circles, but this person said they really over do it with the eating afterwards.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:41 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,938,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
You're generally too rational to accept the opinion of one rant as indicative of an entire populace.

We love visitors here in Austin - just don't move here and try by change it into wherever you came from!
I'm sure 19th Century Mexicans felt the same way after the Texas Revolution.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:16 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times
"...to Texas" could be left out of the title. Don't move anywhere unless you have a job waiting for you!

Old 09-11-2014, 07:13 AM

435 posts, read 636,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
I apologize on behalf of Collin County.

The area is full of transplants; I can't say that it's particularly Texan. Plano has had several teen suicide waves... it's not somewhere I would choose to live.
The teen suicide epidemic in Plano has been going on since the mid 1980s. And here again, transient people are part of the problem. In the 1980s, the newspaper articles about these teen suicides mentioned that there were simply too many kids coming in and going out of the schools, and it was hard for them to form any lasting friendships.
The problem is not so much being new to an area, but coming and going really fast. That is what these transplants do. I suspect they leave Texas really fast because its not the mecca they thought it would be.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:24 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,935,441 times
It's a good thing "y'all" native Texans don't like outsiders or transplants....because after visiting relatives there countless times over the past 10 years, I wouldn't live in the Lone Star state if you paid me. The best thing coming out of Texas is I-35 north! Too many hot days, religious zealots, conformists, football worshippers, racist/redneck attitudes, dead animal heads as decor on the walls, gunslingers, rattlesnakes & scorpions, oil/land/banking barons (all corrupt), the list goes on...

But, there are some cute cowboy types, I'll give you that.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:33 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,280,429 times
Native Texans don't like outsiders or transplants... that want to change Texas. Come here with an attitude, and just like anywhere else, you will get attitude back. Come here with an open mind and open arms, and you will be hard pressed to find a friendlier state. Unless of course you move to a neighborhood full of transplants...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment