Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 05:01 PM

17,154 posts, read 12,994,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
They say its more affordable to buy a home in Texas, but they don't factor in the air conditioning bills in the summer time (which can be astronomical).
Feel free to move to Michigan or California where unemployment is a REAL problem, OP. Or the East Coast, where a condo the size of a postage stamp is $500K. No one's forcing you to live here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 05:04 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,344,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w_mcfly22 View Post
As someone who is thinking bout relocating to Texas it's jus kinda discouraging. I mean I understand some peoples frustration dealing with certain people and their complaining. I'm not really the complaining type. I come from nor cal, the suburbs of SF and it's hot and dry in the summer and cold in the winter. We do have Tahoe 3 hrs Away and Monterrey 3Hrs in the the other direction but it's not somthing I frequent every weekend. Not a big deal. As far as taking, what are transplants taking exactly? Why shun someone out that jus tryna makea Living and give their family something better? Why look down on that because I'm not from there?
It's nothing personal. But you moving here is going to cost the rest of us money. Fact. And some of us don't like that.

It isn't that people don't like YOU or that YOU'VE done anything wrong. You haven't. Not all of us...but some of us...are just tired of people flooding into the area. It's getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too crowded.

That being said, if you move to the northern suburbs of DFW your neighbors are likely to be mostly transplants themselves...so you won't get the cold shoulder from them. Us native Texans and native Dallasites are becoming a rare breed in our own state/city.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:08 PM

659 posts, read 942,052 times
How is the job market in Austin?
My husband plans to move to Austin next year, he is a long-term Texas resident, but grew up in El Paso. He wants to move there to go to University of Texas for is future degree in Physics.

I've heard rumors that Austin puts UofT students first when it comes to employment, then locals, and then out-of-staters. I am hoping to get enough experience (and money saved) before the move next year to better equip myself with getting a job. Phoenix, is a haven for entry-level jobs, but that's all they are good for. I have noticed over the past 14 years of living here, that the city and the surrounding cities in the country has degraded in quality.

My husband and I are movers. We don't like staying in one place all our lives. Austin will only be a temporary home until he finishes his degree, then we'll move somewhere else... maybe Alaska, Washington, or abroad. Who knows? My biggest concern is moving there and having NO job, we can subsist on his student loans however, I don't want to get him further in debt with my potential inability to acquire a job. Sooooo..... how's the job market for accounting clerks?

(I've checked job boards, but you can't really gauge a city's economy based on them alone)

Old 09-10-2014, 05:08 PM

884 posts, read 1,173,966 times
Quote:
I just knew I'd hear that eventually. About how I am a big, bad meanie. But I truly have no interest in the "newbies" until they've lived here at least 5 to 10 years and try to give back to the community, instead of just taking. I have no guilt about it whatsoever. I'd rather try and help people who have put down roots here and have something to offer.
So if you live there for a year and try to give back to the community and put down roots you're have nothing to offer huh? That's awesome. If everyone here had that attitude I would be surprised if anyone would bother putting down roots at all! Why put down roots if people don't want you around and would be happier if you left?

You must be like that person in Arizona who yelled at me to "go back to california dumbass" after tailgating me through traffic for miles, and I wasn't going below the speed limit or anything.

In any case i'm wasting my breath, there are people in all states who are against outsiders and that's never going to change. I sincerely hope they are the minority here in this state, since I actually do want to stick around for a long time...

Old 09-10-2014, 05:11 PM

884 posts, read 1,173,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's not just you. I'm FROM here and I find people here to be flaky and difficult to get to know.

THIS.

The transplants I can't stand are usually from California or India. The Californians just gripe gripe gripe and try to bring all their stores from CA here to make it as much like California as possible. The Indians are standoffish and only socialize with other Indians. Just do a search on the Dallas forum from Indians looking for "good Indian community" and you'll see. They segregate themselves. It's annoying.

The transplants I like the most are the ones from Michigan. The ones I've met are all awesome sauce.
See i am moving from CA because i don't like living there, why on earth would I want texas to turn into CA? I meant CA people were flaky though, I literally just rolled into town yesterday so i can't say people are flaky yet....I've been here for work several times though and I usually stay an extra weekend and people are generally quite nice.

Although I came from MI first (grew up there), so maybe I should just tell people that and they'll like me better

Old 09-10-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I don't know about the job situation in Austin.
The summers in Austin are horrid. Be prepared for 100+ degree temps in the summer. Its like being an in oven.
Oh, and all the faux hippies there.
Palomalillie,

I live in the outskirts of Phoenix. I'm sure I'm accustomed to 110+ degree weather in the summer. As for the faux hippies... they are a breath of fresh air over the ultra-conservatives over here. We have faux hippies too, the transplants from Californians to name a few, but they are a minority.

Heck, on my wedding day it was 116~118 degrees, you had to chug water every 20 minutes, it was one of the most hot days in June, AND to top it off, a sandstorm came as soon as the ceremony was over and I was covered with dirt

Old 09-10-2014, 05:16 PM

61 posts, read 74,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's nothing personal. But you moving here is going to cost the rest of us money. Fact. And some of us don't like that.

It isn't that people don't like YOU or that YOU'VE done anything wrong. You haven't. Not all of us...but some of us...are just tired of people flooding into the area. It's getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too crowded.

That being said, if you move to the northern suburbs of DFW your neighbors are likely to be mostly transplants themselves...so you won't get the cold shoulder from them. Us native Texans and native Dallasites are becoming a rare breed in our own state/city.
Lol, understood and I respect it. But it's crazy cuz it seems DFW or even Houston area is lookin like NorCal 10-15 years ago. Everyone flocked here cuz the neighborhoods were nice, housing was cheaper, and could work in the Bay Area where salaries are good. It really reminded me of here cuz you mentioned rolling blackouts which was a problem here 10 years ago. 100+ degrees and ya power was shut off for a hour or 2 at a time...

Old 09-10-2014, 05:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,660,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
There's a major difference between someone moving in (with or without a job) that adapts quickly and immerses themselves in their new home, taking time to learn the history and avail themselves of the wide array of things to do in Texas - compared to the ones that move here without a job, based on some Forbes article and come in whining about the heat, the cold, the rain, the dry, the "OMG how do you live without In-N-Out" crowd.

I can hear the vocal fry even as I read that.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,679,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If you're talking about the kind of job a drifter would take, something that doesn't require a degree or extensive work history, there are jobs like that in TX and you don't have to be a long-term resident or know someone to get a job.

My sister's boyfriend looked for a job for nearly a year in San Diego. He wasn't particular, applied at all the fast food restaurants, every job he could think of...he even tried to sell Kirby vacuums for a day or two, he was that desperate for a job. He finally found a part time job at a fast food place, and he only gets four hours a week most weeks. Our family can't understand this, it's hard to believe he's not just lazy. Because we're all used to Texas and here he would have found something full time within a month or two, at the very most. But I've heard from other people that they had the same experience in California.

I also don't know anyone who won't talk to people who've just moved here...maybe it's because there are so many military families in San Antonio so we're used to people coming and going, but we love to meet new people and hear about where they're from and what brought them here.

First off you can't compare San Diego to all of CA. The job market in San Diego has never been good as there are more people wanting to live there(weather/scenery is much better than anything you will find in TX, and in most of the country) than there are jobs.

But there are jobs. Because San Diego has a lot of turnover due to people coming and going.

And you do know that San Diego is also a military town? I also how wonder how hard this guy really looked, and what he told people back in TX. He may have spent 2 days a week looking and the rest of the time on the beach living off whatever he moved out with, than started getting nervous and tried selling vacuums when the bank account got dangerously low.

I don't buy his story.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I can hear the vocal fry even as I read that.
We have In-N-Out here in AZ. I tried their burgers and animal style fries. It's NOTHING special.

The reason why people love In-N-Out for their burgers and french fries it's because they taste EXACTLY like the burgers and french fries you'd make yourself at home from scratch (cutting whole potatoes for french fries, warming up the beef patty over the grill, etc.)

It's basically a taste of "home" without the obscene prices.
Their milkshakes are also godly.... it's so... home-made.
Honestly it's world's difference compared to Wendy's, McD's, BK, Carl's Jr, Sonic, etc.

BUT... But but but but go to any mom and pop burger shop and you basically get the In-N-Out experience any way (taste-wise), if you as a person want animal fries... you'll have to find the recipe for the animal sauce. That's all.

Again, this restaurant isn't anything special. Even my husband says that the mom and pop burger joint in downtown Glendale is 10x better than In-N-Out, their burgers might be expensive... but the taste is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment