Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM

435 posts, read 636,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Just not true. I moved from Arizona to New Jersey, and the most friendly people I have met. People introduced themselves when we moved in, invited us to block parties to get to know everyone. Beyond friendly.

We moved to Texas, as I stated before last year. We have put ourselves 'out there' open minded, volunteering, inviting people over, attending several events. People just don't want to be bothered with new friends.

I know over time this will change, and not everyone has the same experience.
Nobody will come out and say "hey, I just don't want to invest a lot of time in a friendship with you if you are going to be moving away at some point". Its not something that is easy to tell someone.

I know lots of people native to Dallas who only hang out with their friends they grew up with; they are disillusioned with those who move around the USA, coming and going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 12:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
If there is a place in Texas for a liberal black guy that rides a bike, is atheist, and likes cold weather - please let me know.
You'd be fine here except for the weather.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:53 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,491,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
Nobody will come out and say "hey, I just don't want to invest a lot of time in a friendship with you if you are going to be moving away at some point". Its not something that is easy to tell someone.

I know lots of people native to Dallas who only hang out with their friends they grew up with; they are disillusioned with those who move around the USA, coming and going.
I don't understand this. One of my really good friends moved across the country last year due to a job change. I miss her a lot, but I'm glad that we go to spend so much time together in the years that she was here. Her friendship mattered.

My husband grew up about 20 minutes from where we live now. His best friends now were his best friends when they were kids. When I met him he didn't have any friends outside of those he'd known since high school; he had a nice social circle and just didn't need to go looking. Once we started dating, he realized he was basically lazy about making friends, and now we're both trying harder to expand our social circle.

It takes me about 2-3 years to build up that circle when I move. I'm one year into this city and am hoping we stay here forever so I don't have to do it all again.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:15 PM

418 posts, read 743,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w_mcfly22 View Post
So how does Houston treat their transplants? Lol.
This native Houstonian doesn't like them at all! Someone moving to my town to make their life better ends up making mine WORSE! Stay where you are, please.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:45 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,930,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
How is the job market in Austin?
My husband plans to move to Austin next year, he is a long-term Texas resident, but grew up in El Paso. He wants to move there to go to University of Texas for is future degree in Physics.

I've heard rumors that Austin puts UofT students first when it comes to employment, then locals, and then out-of-staters. I am hoping to get enough experience (and money saved) before the move next year to better equip myself with getting a job. Phoenix, is a haven for entry-level jobs, but that's all they are good for. I have noticed over the past 14 years of living here, that the city and the surrounding cities in the country has degraded in quality.

My husband and I are movers. We don't like staying in one place all our lives. Austin will only be a temporary home until he finishes his degree, then we'll move somewhere else... maybe Alaska, Washington, or abroad. Who knows? My biggest concern is moving there and having NO job, we can subsist on his student loans however, I don't want to get him further in debt with my potential inability to acquire a job. Sooooo..... how's the job market for accounting clerks?

(I've checked job boards, but you can't really gauge a city's economy based on them alone)
Austin now is like Phoenix in the 90s. Take it for what its worth. I rmeember when everyone and their brother wanted to move to Arizona. Now it's Texas. So in another 14 years.......

Old 09-11-2014, 03:41 PM

17,154 posts, read 12,993,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
For someone that has been on business in TX, but has never actually lived here you have a lot to say about it don't you? Why don't you teach the rest of us Texans more about our state, please?
+1. The people who truly know what a state is like are RESIDENTS of the state, not people who merely assume and stereotype based on a 2 hour layover at DFW or IAH airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
If there is a place in Texas for a liberal black guy that rides a bike, is atheist, and likes cold weather - please let me know.

I've been there enough times to know I probably wouldn't like it. A lot of my friends from up here with similar lifestyles randomly point out Texas as their place to be, despite never setting foot in the state.
Houston is quite liberal. There are people here of every stripe. We even have a lesbian mayor. And we also have the Houston Atheists, the largest atheist organization in the United States, with almost 2000 members. Many people are surprised at that little tidbit. If you want cold weather, you'll have to go to the Panhandle, however. In the Amarillo area, we get quite a bit of snow every year. But you don't really want to move here anyway.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:20 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,780,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post

The same thing happens in New Jersey. As a suburb if NYC it is a very transient area, along with many locals. It's callous to be that way, thus my saying New Jersey is friendlier. My best friend stayed in the area for two years and moved, I am a better person for knowing her.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:55 PM

435 posts, read 636,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
This native Houstonian doesn't like them at all! Someone moving to my town to make their life better ends up making mine WORSE! Stay where you are, please.
Totally true.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:16 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,985,862 times
I welcome everyone who moves to Texas for work and to make a better life for themselves with open arms.Sometimes you just have to go where the jobs are.Come on down.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I welcome everyone who moves to Texas for work and to make a better life for themselves with open arms.Sometimes you just have to go where the jobs are.Come on down.
Ugh NO.

Just...NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment