Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 07:13 PM

70 posts, read 102,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Are you kidding me?

If you don't have enough initiative to write down the name of the interviewer and get his or her business card, then you really don't deserve the job in the first place.
Agreed-I never leave an interview without the full name and contact info of the person who interviewed me and I always send a follow up thank you note. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by showing courtesy and thanking someone for their time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 07:20 PM

78 posts, read 63,706 times
I've noticed young people don't dress up to walk into a business and ask fi they are hiring or for an application. Wear slacks and a nice dress shirt and "Dad shoes". Girls, where a dress or black slacks with a professional shirt. Don't bring a buddy with you either. Go alone. Learn to use the correct words too.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,452,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suebee123 View Post
I've noticed young people don't dress up to walk into a business and ask fi they are hiring or for an application. Wear slacks and a nice dress shirt and "Dad shoes". Girls, where a dress or black slacks with a professional shirt. Don't bring a buddy with you either. Go alone. Learn to use the correct words too.
Like "wear" as opposed to "where."

Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,736,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You abt like they hand out business cards like candy. Not every one does, what do you do in that case?
mkpunk, as the interview is wrapping up, ask for a card. If they don't have one, just ask, "May I have your full name and email address?"

Having said that, the best time to get the full name, title, and phone number is when you're setting up the interview. This way, if there's a traffic jam or something delaying your commute, you can make a courtesy call. And if they don't have a card to give you, the only thing you need to ask for is their email address.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 PM

7,955 posts, read 7,902,002 times
Quote:
At the same point there's other generations that have no idea on things.

I remember once hearing from a guy in his 60's that he'd like to work here because
"I'd like to work with tools all day"

We sell the tools we don't actually "work" with them. We have salesman not woodworkers. It is retail not a manufacturer. He was not hired.

Then there's those that didn't know how to double click a mouse and some did not know how to use windows or any computer for that matter. There are fair amounts of people that pretty much let their spouses do everything or their kids or relatives did everything for them. If someone does not know how to write a check by the age of 50 then I would say something is wrong. If someone doesn't know the difference between sponsored ads on a search engine site and actual results then that's another red flag.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,663,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
It is my understanding that you should always dress at least one "level" up from how you'd be expected to dress, if hired.

In other words, if you're interviewing for a job that requires jeans and sneakers, dress business casual for the interview (at least). If you are interviewing for a job requiring business casual, you should dress business formal...suit and tie.
I always chuckle when I see this bit of advice.

I once worked for a small professional services company that didn't even bother to include the word "business" in its dress code; it was purely casual. Everyone, from the CEO down, could come to work in shorts and flip-flops if they chose, and many did. As the company's reputation grew, word got around that it was a "fun" place to work, and people began showing up for their interviews for positions requiring advanced degrees wearing jeans, khakis, and the like. After this happened several times, the receptionist was told to tell any candidate appearing for an interview dressed in anything other than traditional business attire that the interview was cancelled, and refer any questions to the CEO. Those who followed up were told that the first impression they conveyed was that they were more interested in the casual workplace environment than in the work, which didn't fit the company's "play hard, work harder" ethos.

Moral of story: The dress code doesn't apply until after you have the job, and should have absolutely no bearing on what one chooses to wear to an interview, even for purposes of "leveling-up." Put on the suit.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:56 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,705,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Had an incident Monday when I was interviewing a graphic designer for a slot. The portfolio he sent was pretty good. Not brilliant, but good. Mind you, I'm pretty open minded in a lot of ways. But let me describe the guy:

- Jeans with holes in them
- Unwashed hair
- Old flannel shirt
- Discussed how fickle his ex-employers were
- Had no résumé
- Arrived five minutes late
- It's Friday and still no acknowledgement of the interview. No thank-you note. Not even an e-mail.
Must be from some part of the East coast. Those are prerequisites for getting jobs in certain fields here.

Was his name "Gordon" by any chance?

Last edited by 495neighbor; 08-05-2014 at 09:25 PM..

Old 08-05-2014, 09:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,452,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Must be from some part of the East coast. Those are prerequisites for getting jobs in certain fields here.
I'm from Dallas.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:03 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,055,167 times
Quote:
What exactly are dad shoes? I google searched it and it came up with white Nikes and New Balance. I'd hardly believe that is appropriate even for a sales call. As for showing up, it is futile. Most times the companies don't do paper applications. The only ones who do are dollar stores and gas stations. Taco Bell does both. So in reality, the sales call style that you suggest is simply passe due to modern trends in hiring.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:03 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,705,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
True.

But again, sometimes things happen.

Maybe the person was awake trying to take care of their newborn child who was crying all night and didn't intend to come into the interview tired and yawning. Should they automatically be written off as a candidate because of this? This is what the interview is for, to allow the candidate to explain their situation.
or the interview room was stuffy or they were nervous about the interview and didn't get much sleep the night before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment