Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,721,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
What exactly are dad shoes? I google searched it and it came up with white Nikes and New Balance. I'd hardly believe that is appropriate even for a sales call. As for showing up, it is futile. Most times the companies don't do paper applications. The only ones who do are dollar stores and gas stations. Taco Bell does both. So in reality, the sales call style that you suggest is simply passe due to modern trends in hiring.
black wingtip 1950s madmen shoes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
At the same point there's other generations that have no idea on things.

I remember once hearing from a guy in his 60's that he'd like to work here because
"I'd like to work with tools all day"

We sell the tools we don't actually "work" with them. We have salesman not woodworkers. It is retail not a manufacturer. He was not hired.

Then there's those that didn't know how to double click a mouse and some did not know how to use windows or any computer for that matter. There are fair amounts of people that pretty much let their spouses do everything or their kids or relatives did everything for them. If someone does not know how to write a check by the age of 50 then I would say something is wrong. If someone doesn't know the difference between sponsored ads on a search engine site and actual results then that's another red flag.
The "why do you want to work here" question is one of the most baffling for me. I've replied to this question answers such as, "I like the constructive mission of the organization." Or, I look forward to collaborating with many intelligent and creative people." And by the dull look in the interviewers eyes, I know I've struck out.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm from Dallas.
Whoops, sorry BigD, replied to the wrong post.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:35 AM

38,922 posts, read 24,106,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
black wingtip 1950s madmen shoes
I think it was wrong for sue to use the phrase "dad shoes" because they are now generally the white high top sneakers not "black wingtip 1950s madmen shoes." FYI, I actually have "dad shoes" by the more accepted white high top definition. "Dad shoes" are known enough to have a meme.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,442,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You abt like they hand out business cards like candy. Not every one does, what do you do in that case?
Try this simple request: "Do you have a business card? That way, I have your correct information." And if they don't have one to give (Which is pretty rare), then simply take thirty seconds to write it down.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:45 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,286,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Try this simple request: "Do you have a business card? That way, I have your correct information." And if they don't have one to give (Which is pretty rare), then simply take thirty seconds to write it down.

Should be an automatic reaction at the end of every meeting.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
The "why do you want to work here" question is one of the most baffling for me. I've replied to this question answers such as, "I like the constructive mission of the organization." Or, I look forward to collaborating with many intelligent and creative people." And by the dull look in the interviewers eyes, I know I've struck out.
First of all, the question isn't about you. It's about the company. The interviewer wants to know what it is about the company that you find attractive. It's also a sure-fire question to know whether or not you've done your homework. If you begin your answer with the personal pronoun "I," then you've already started on the wrong foot.

How to be prepared for the question? Really go through their web site. Bone up on the industry in which they exist. And then speak of your role in the company in terms of contributing to their success. In other words, talk about them, not you.

I interview a lot of people on behalf of my clients. I'm always flabbergasted at the number of people who never bother to look at the company's website. So they don't know how big the company is or even what they sell. I mean basic stuff that you can find out in about fifteen minutes. Surely you can invest fifteen minutes online, can't you?

If I were interested in a company, there's no way I would walk into an interview without knowing the following:

1) What they sell and to what markets.
2) What their company's growth has been like.
3) The size of their operations.
4) The LinkedIn profile of the person interviewing me.
5) The general trends in the industry.
6) How I could possibly fit in to advance the company's interests.

I mean, that's 15-30 minutes of Googling, tops. Yet people don't do it.

Here's the thing. If you are an interviewer, you aren't just looking for someone with requisite skills. If you're looking for anyone to do anything besides the most mind-numbing things, you want to see someone with initiative, someone who is a proven self-starter.

Yet if you don't know squat about the company before you sit across the desk from the guy who is going to hire you, then you've just told them that you aren't a self-starter and will have to be force-fed everything.

Last edited by cpg35223; 08-06-2014 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-06-2014, 10:53 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,318,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
First of all, the question isn't about you. It's about the company. The interviewer wants to know what it is about the company that you find attractive. It's also a sure-fire question to know whether or not you've done your homework. If you begin your answer with the personal pronoun "I," then you've already started on the wrong foot.

How to be prepared for the question? Really go through their web site. Bone up on the industry in which they exist. And then speak of your role in the company in terms of contributing to their success. In other words, talk about them, not you.

I interview a lot of people on behalf of my clients. I'm always flabbergasted at the number of people who never bother to look at the company's website. So they don't know how big the company is or even what they sell. I mean basic stuff that you can find out in about fifteen minutes. Surely you can invest fifteen minutes online, can't you?

If I were interested in a company, there's no way I would walk into an interview without knowing the following:

1) What they sell and to what markets.
2) What their company's growth has been like.
3) The size of their operations.
4) The LinkedIn profile of the person interviewing me.
5) The general trends in the industry.
6) How I could possibly fit in to advance the company's interests.

I mean, that's 15-30 minutes of Googling, tops. Yet people don't do it.

Here's the thing. If you are an interviewer, you aren't just looking for someone with requisite skills. If you're looking for anyone to do anything besides the most mind-numbing things, you want to see someone with initiative, someone who is a proven self-starter.

Yet if you don't know squat about the company before you sit across the desk from the guy who is going to hire you, then you've just told them that you aren't a self-starter and will have to be force-fed everything.
And you'd be surprised on how many recruiters/hiring managers don't read the resume of a candidate before an interview or contacting them out of the blue

Old 08-06-2014, 11:09 AM

38,922 posts, read 24,106,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
And you'd be surprised on how many recruiters/hiring managers don't read the resume of a candidate before an interview or contacting them out of the blue
Correct, that OR they do not scan it before or while interviewing you when you present one at the interview. As I said before with the job application cold calls, reading up before interviews as the interviewer seems to be passe.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
That's nice, but it's also not the problem at hand. We're talking about you doing everything possible to land a job, not trying to gin up a bunch of excuses on what the potential employer did or didn't do.

It's really weird. We're all simply trying to provide you guys with common-sense advice and all you want to do is argue and weasel out of taking any responsibility. It's always someone else's fault. It's always the fault of a capricious universe or the exploitive nature of corporate America that people don't offer you a job.

Well, they didn't give me a business card so I can't write a thank-you note. Well, they didn't read my resume before the interview. Well, I've waited weeks and no word. They threw hard questions at me in the interview. It's so not fair.

Guess what? For every job for which you interview, there are any number of qualified candidates with abilities that compare to your own. That means the intangibles come into play in a dozen different ways: Your attentiveness in the interview, your initiative in actually researching the company, your ability to handle yourself under the stress of a difficult question, your ability to act and dress professionally, and your mastery of basic business courtesies so that they can bring you into a future client meeting without hesitation. Ultimately, people do business with people, so these things matter a great deal.

In short, unless you are the sine qua non of your profession, they are the buyers and you are the sellers. I mean, if you were selling your house, wouldn't you clean it up? Wouldn't you mow the lawn? Or would you just leave dirty dishes in the sink and not bother running a vacuum before the real estate agent shows up? Because if you yawn during an interview, don't bother writing a thank you note, dress like a slob, and show up late, that's essentially what you're doing.

Last edited by cpg35223; 08-06-2014 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment