Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 07:09 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Haha, ok honey.
Thanks cupcake
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 08:09 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
From what I've heard, CE jobs are easy to get, but they pay lower than jobs of other engineering disciplines.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:45 PM

111 posts, read 188,912 times
knowlegeiskey,

Yes they do pay lower than the other disciplines. I chose this major knowing this very information. The big three are civil, mechanical, and electrical employing about 250k each as of (2010). I haven't checked the latest numbers from the Bureau of Labor and Statistics.

A quick search gives these numbers:
Mechanical Engineers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2012, 258000 number of jobs)
Civil Engineers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2012, 258000 number of jobs)

The employment goes up and down for the other disciplines. Also the other disciplines besides the big three don't employ that much. I know for a fact, that mechanical engineering use to have 300000 jobs in the mid 80s (Probably combination of jobs being sent oversees, NAFTA, WTO; and defense budget cuts, Reagan, Soviet Union collapse ), while civil engineering employment was less than 200000 jobs in the mid 80s.

I always hear the constant need for more STEM graduates, America is not graduating enough, etc, but I don't see any evidence of a shortage.

Here are some views that go against the popular view of the supposed shortage:

Is the STEM Crisis a Myth? - YouTube

STEM Crisis Myth: Robert N. Charette Responds to Readers - YouTube

Here are some views advocating the popular view of the shortage:

Bayer MSMS I Part Two: STEM Workforce Shortage: Myth or Reality Salon - YouTube

USACE Chief visits Roosevelt HS - YouTube (Gen. Thomas Bostick, says we need a million more engineers by 2020)

The General is projecting one million demand by 2020, but what about the supply?

America Has More Trained STEM Graduates than STEM Job Openings | Center for Immigration Studies
Seems we are graduating more than enough.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:57 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Lol. You have to be joking. Illinois has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, along with construction. Construction workers have to travel to nearby red states for work. Indians economy is amazing compared to broke ass blue state Illinois. Construction jobs are still worse than most workers have ever seen. Where did you get your info from??? Source please.

And why would a GOP canidate "promise" to halt construction jobs. Most construction is done in the private sector. Additionally, Illinois has a flat income tax rate, that our liberal governor Quinn almost doubled!! Everyone pays more now! There was never any talk by anyone of giving tax breaks to the rich. It's a FLAT tax rate. Always has been. Enough with the propaganda.
The problem is the private construction market has been weak to dead for years and is only now coming back. Public infrastructure, neglected for years (many roads are clogged with traffic) was the only source of work for Engineering and Construction.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:32 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The problem is the private construction market has been weak to dead for years and is only now coming back. Public infrastructure, neglected for years (many roads are clogged with traffic) was the only source of work for Engineering and Construction.
Road construction doesnt help plumbers, electricians, drywallers, carpenters, etc. The VAST majority of trades. The problem is that liberal states like Illinois don't have the money for public construction projects because the liberals spent it all on public pensions and other entitlements.

Additionally, as I have already mentioned, The private construction market is much better shape in other more conservative states. Liberal states like Illinois are forced to rely on public government overspending to compensate for the private business their high taxes drive away.

[url=http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20140118/ISSUE01/301189978/looming-pension-payment-could-drive-city-taxes-to-highest-in-u-s]Crain's Chicago Business : Subscription Center[/url]

Old 01-18-2014, 02:55 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Road construction doesnt help plumbers, electricians, drywallers, carpenters, etc. The VAST majority of trades. The problem is that liberal states like Illinois don't have the money for public construction projects because the liberals spent it all on public pensions and other entitlements.

Additionally, as I have already mentioned, The private construction market is much better shape in other more conservative states. Liberal states like Illinois are forced to rely on public government overspending to compensate for the private business their high taxes drive away.

Crain's Chicago Business : Subscription Center
I beg to differ.

Anyway, to the OP, my original reply wasn't made with a serious attitude. I was writing it out with a smirk. Sorry about that.

To reply to your question, anywhere will do. I work as an engineer in the Chicago area. Job market here seems pretty good for engineers. There are always listings for experienced and entry level engineers. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just remember one thing. Don't be too picky. The most important thing for entry level engineers is to get the experience. If you're in it to get rich quick, boy are you in the wrong profession.

The company I work for pays me well enough. It pays 100% of my insurance. It even gives me a company car and monthly gas allowance to drive back and forth to the office. So, obviously it's not all doom and gloom like some conservative members would like you to think.

You'll be ok. Just don't slack off on your grades.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:01 PM

48 posts, read 111,357 times
I'm a civil grad and still underemployed years after graduating -- however, it may be by choice at this point because I just don't like the field and don't bother looking too hard.

Regardless, if you're curious about how the field is doing, just do the math:

- How many colleges in the states offer civil engineering programs (including grad programs)?
- How many colleges offer engineering programs in related fields (e.g. mechanical, environmental) whose graduates, if necessary or desired, could work in civil?
- How many graduates do all of these programs combined pump out per year?
- How many graduates from one or two years back didn't find a job?
- How many engineering technicians or technologists are being pumped out per year?
- How many engineers do projects really need?

Old 01-18-2014, 03:14 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,782 times
If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by underemployed?

I really had no problem getting interviews and offers after my business failed and I had to put myself in the job market again. I recently called around to all the people I knew from engineering school (UIC) and everyone of them found a job within 3 months after graduation. There was a guy that was going to go into peace corp. When he changed his mind and decided to stay here, he found a job as a landfill designer within a couple weeks of looking.

It took me longer because I ran a business. When it failed, I started applying and got a position at a chicago engineering firm right away.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 PM

Bitter Writer,

Yes, those are the very questions I often have thought about. The reality, is there is a glut of civil engineers and jobs are difficult to get. I'm a holder of a bachelors degree, with an above 3.0 gpa, and EIT certificate, and some internships (unpaid), but I have yet to get a return on investment on this degree.

Sometimes I wonder if I had drop out of high school, I would be financially better off. Actually I believe (Some may disagree) there are college graduates that are financially worse off than those with just a high school diploma or not.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:12 PM

I would like to know if there are engineering graduates out there having difficulty with the job market. If anyone out there had to leave the country to find employment, are there any specific countries they successfully found employment. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment