Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:01 PM

48 posts, read 111,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeng99 View Post
I find it difficult to believe that a company the size of Nortel, with that amount of layoffs , definitely people would experienced unemployment or underemployment. When Nortel laid off that many people , it must have sent a chain reaction in job losses within the industry, not just the company but its contractors and their employees.

Also, as mentioned you have a number of EE/CS graduates each year , what about the people that graduated at that time. Were they able to find employment?

I browse some other forums, and hear a lot from bitter ex-employees from the dot-com bubble who are not currently working in the profession. You may say they are the minority or do those sites attract this minority?
I've read a lot of those tech bubble victim posts. Very interesting stuff. You should also google "RIM layoffs" in the past year or two alone for more discouraging news.

Who knows if they're the minority without a proper statistical study? The sites probably attract the bitter unemployed, but there are probably bitter unemployed so discouraged and ashamed that they don't want anyone to know. On the flip side, there are people who are happily employed and like to share, or they're employed and too busy to write anything.

About getting your money's worth... The most important thing I realized relatively recently was that I should make do with what I have: two degrees. They are a sunk cost and I am never getting that tuition money back. However, I can make more money and now have that piece of paper that fulfills most basic job requirements. Long story short: you don't have to do what you studied in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 07:26 PM

48 posts, read 111,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
I am well aware of that.
Sorry, my entire post was directed at joeng99 to consider along with your quoted post.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:40 PM

111 posts, read 189,177 times
MSchemist80,

Here is another article I found:
The STEM Crisis Is a Myth - IEEE Spectrum

"So why the persistent anxiety that a STEM crisis exists? Michael S. Teitelbaum, a Wertheim Fellow at Harvard Law School and a senior advisor to the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, has studied the phenomenon, and he says that in the United States the anxiety dates back to World War II. Ever since then it has tended to run in cycles that he calls “alarm, boom, and bust.” He says the cycle usually starts when “someone or some group sounds the alarm that there is a critical crisis of insufficient numbers of scientists, engineers, and mathematicians” and as a result the country “is in jeopardy of either a national security risk or of falling behind economically.” In the 1950s, he notes, Americans worried that the Soviet Union was producing 95 000 scientists and engineers a year while the United States was producing only about 57 000. In the 1980s, it was the perceived Japanese economic juggernaut that was the threat, and now it is China and India."

Basically we have interest groups making their case.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:00 PM

162 posts, read 229,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Although I can't comment on engineering joen99 is right on about the "STEM shortage" It is the biggest load of bovine excrement every spread upon this nation. In science we have companies offering science workers $12 an hour no benefits, PhD's languishing in post-docs for over a decade, all the while companies are screaming for an h1-b free for all. It is sickening.
Reading this, I am so glad I left the sciences! Don't miss this one bit.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:27 PM

16 posts, read 27,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I've got good news for you. Civil and structural right now have no problem finding a job. There are projects all over the place.

The one good thing about this administration is its investment in the infrastructure. Of course this could all change when 2017 comes.
I would like some of what you're smoking…the Obama jobs where for show only.
Repaving a highway, think about it, very visible and everyone thinks it's a big job.
Truth is the same few crews do the entire job in a week but they do it all over town so they are seen. It just seems like there is tons of work going on.
One crew does the grinding, next crew fixes the holes and does patch work, next the paver comes through and finally the people that put down the strips.
The same 4 crews all over town, that is not infrastructure work, that is smoke and mirrors..
That is also Chicago…a DemaRat town…the Unions get richer, the connected get the contracts and the people get fooled, just like the moron in the White House did to us.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:27 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,411,740 times
civil is mainly a government position, like city engineer. I been working in the civil field for thirty years as a non degree technician, and the typical civil is usually a big construction company project manager or with the county. geotechnical does not require a masters and most firms do not want a masters, they want to teach you their way and not you trying to run their business. My company will not hire masters

Old 01-26-2014, 10:12 PM

brownbagg,

May I ask what state you reside in? What type of work do you do - Is it mainly CAD ?

Old 01-26-2014, 10:55 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,127,221 times
Quote:
brownbagg,

May I ask what state you reside in? What type of work do you do - Is it mainly CAD ?
A lot of older, smaller firms use technicians and technologists to do the work of engineers for many years because there weren't as many engineers back then. As long as you have one PE to sign off...

Civil engineering firms can vary from very small, informal, almost Tony Soprano like workplaces to high end sophisticated Structural firms where everybody has a Masters from a top school.

But the big firms prefer a Masters, no question.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:46 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,578,055 times
Quote:
brownbagg,

In a real engineering firm, CAD work are done not by engineers. They're done by technicians.

Which phase are you looking toward working in? I know a lot of newly young grads dream of finding a nice comfortable office job. I'm guessing you want to do design?

Old 01-27-2014, 11:04 AM

rosie_hair

I am open to anything at this time. I would like to get a return on investment on this degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment