Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:47 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,208,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
in my field it is the opposite. many positions have a minimum requirement of an MS degree stated right on the job requirements section when you are applying. this tends to be true for higher level STEM positions.
I tend to see BS+ 8-10 years exp, MS +3-5 years exp, and even sometimes pHD +0-2 years experience as being equivalent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
A lot of STEM jobs, do not require a college education. Depending on part of country you live in, and the type of jobs in the area, the numbers can be anywhere from 25% top 50 % of STEM jobs do not require a college education.

Study: Half of STEM Jobs Don't Require Bachelor's Degree - US News and World Report

'Hidden' economy in Silicon Valley built without advanced degrees - San Jose Mercury News

From the time I got out of the Navy in 1954, I worked on commission as a salesperson, or business owner. By 1956, selling furniture I was earning in today's dollars $125,000 plus. In the 60s, I moved into the corporate world, and rose as high in 1970 to being division sales manager for western half of U.S. In 1971, I moved into the real estate business after taking courses at a top university for 1 year. I went into specializing in Investment/Commercial/1031 Exchanging as a broker with my own office after a year. I stayed in it till I retired many years later. I enjoyed taking peoples credit apps, and realizing though they had a top job with lots of respect, that I out earned them often double or triple, their incomes.

There is a lot of jobs, that do not require a degree, where you can earn a good income. There are more people with degrees fighting for jobs, than there are tradesmen, salespeople, and others that earn much more than the ones with the degrees.

The exerts tell us, that half the jobs people will be doing in only 10 years have not even been invented yet. The trick is trying to figure what they are, and start preparing now to be ahead of the pack 10 years from now.
I think that's a misrepresentation of what STEM jobs mean. I suspect most of us think of technical work (sciences, engineering, maths, etc) and not skilled trades within STEM facilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,739,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
In my opinion there's really no such thing as "being under-employed".
I believe that too. Nothing is beneath you and you accepted the job/payrate... if you're not happy, seek new employment.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:43 PM

632 posts, read 1,071,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I believe that too. Nothing is beneath you and you accepted the job/payrate... if you're not happy, seek new employment.
Exactly. You're worth what the market dictates.

Thats not to say you shouldnt have pride in what you do/can do, but come on...if you think you're worth X, and you're only getting offers at Y...X is likely the odd man out.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:49 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,432,748 times
Actually there is such thing as underemployed in Economics. If lawyers are working as burger flippers due to the lack of law jobs in an economy, that is underemployment. Is has nothing to do with what's beneath you, it has to do with shortages in the workforce which have a negative impact on the economy...i.e. income tax revenue, consumption, etc.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 PM

1,006 posts, read 736,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Anyone here feel they are underemployed? Why? Tell us your story, please...

2012, I graduated from Uni with a Master's degree (coming from a cu m Laude Bachelors). During my full thesis Masters I worked as a Project Manager (I started as an intern in the summer between BS and MS degrees, I was promoted to Project Manager within 1 and 1/2 months) for 2 years. I then quit because the job was a dead end, I wanted to use my MS degree, I was working with people that only had HSD and BS degrees. I was hired at the US Army Corps of Engineers. I was part of the furloughs, I worked there for 10 months and decided that I did not want to be part of the furloughs and possible RIFs later. I found my current position and have been here for 7 months. I replaced a BS degree level worker (who was hired at entry level).

Currently, I know that I am working in a position a BS degree enter level young professional can do, so it is no question...I'm underemployed. I also found out that the chances of me getting a promotion are very very slim. I've started to apply to positions that require MS degrees. Here's to the journey .
Don't see where you've accumulated enough experience to be "properly" employed. Graduate have to learn that someone able to hit the ground running serves business far better than someone who has to be trained, not only in their job but the culture of the company and industry. You've been sold a dream and your expectations are a bit too juvenile. We've ALL had to start from the bottom degree or not unless privilege plays a part. Employers want to see experience and consistent work history. College grads are often overlooked in sub par to average economic times because their expectations of pay and opportunity are too high for a recent grad. Not trying to discourage you, just hoping to give you a better sense of reality. Being able to come in and work on day one trumps a degree'd newbie every time.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:11 PM

453 posts, read 632,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
In my opinion there's really no such thing as "being under-employed".
So what term would you apply to someone who used to make $60k in a white-collar field, was downsized a couple of years ago and now works part-time as a stocker at Kmart because he hasn't yet been able to find a job comparable to the one he lost, despite sending out resumes to every possible position he heard about (and he's still doing this)?

That's pretty much a classic definition of being underemployed, and I know people in that boat right now.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Actually there is such thing as underemployed in Economics. If lawyers are working as burger flippers due to the lack of law jobs in an economy, that is underemployment. Is has nothing to do with what's beneath you, it has to do with shortages in the workforce which have a negative impact on the economy...i.e. income tax revenue, consumption, etc.
But even in this respect being underemployed does not mean lack of or no opportunity. An attorney could easily teach, offer part time legal services for poverty stricken families. These activities would all pay more than flipping burgers. You create opportunities where there are none and I'm realizing that many Americans my age or less have an overwhelming sense of entitlement. And we also have to take into account what the field of study is, in OP's case I think that would reveal a bit more.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Im ~kinda underemployed/underpaid. I only have a bachelors and 3 years of exp in my Corporate Accounting office whereas my comrades either have 20 years of exp (doing the same thing day in and day out so its not as sexy as it sounds) or a Masters degree. However Im the lowest paid in my office by 20k. This wouldnt bother me except I do most of the work and they come to me for help. Im the one staying late cleaning up their messes.
But sounds like most have been there much longer which would mean they've been around for many raises and bonuses. You aren't underemployed, perhaps overworked but you get the amount you agreed to and I'm assuming this is salary right?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 PM

453 posts, read 632,572 times
Moddestmike: You can offer to do all kinds of things, but that isn't the same as being hired to actually DO them, you know.

Last edited by Kineticity; 01-02-2014 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-02-2014, 01:23 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,432,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
But even in this respect being underemployed does not mean lack of or no opportunity. An attorney could easily teach, offer part time legal services for poverty stricken families. These activities would all pay more than flipping burgers. You create opportunities where there are none and I'm realizing that many Americans my age or less have an overwhelming sense of entitlement. And we also have to take into account what the field of study is, in OP's case I think that would reveal a bit more.
Eh, youre arguing a different point than the economical concept of underemployed. Underemployed doesnt count for those that are willingly taking jobs below their qualifications, its for those that are forced to take jobs lower than their qualifications..due to a lack of availability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment